“Excellent hotel and staff - we will return.”
Review of Hotel Mazarin

Hotel Mazarin
Ranked #5 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Excellent hotel and staff - we will return.”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Hotel Mazarin is well-located in the French Quarter and we were quite pleased with the large room facing Bienville. We did not have any issue with street noise during Mardi Gras. The room included a good breakfast as well.
And the wine bar, Patrick's, next door was great. We'll come back.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Mealhappy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,175)
  • Hebrew first
san juan capistrano
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

While recently in NOLA for a meeting , my wife and I stayed here. Check-in was smooth. We were promptly shown to our room 201. It was next to the elevator and very noisy. When asked to change our room, we were told that they were booked and since we checked in late at 6:30pm that was the only room available. It was very noisy with the constant running of the elevator. The bellman went down to the registration and shortly informed us that we could have another room 511 which was not next to the elevator. All rooms ending in 01 are next to the elevator. There is another service elevator
Across the way, but is not used much and did not seem to be a problem, however a room next to it may also be a noise problem. The room was clean. Bed was moderately comfortable with uncomfortable pillows. Towels in bathroom were rather thin and less than absorbant. Toiletries were ok not great. Safe in room was easy to operate and at a reasonable height. The first room had a safe on the closet floor. The closet is small but has an ironing board and iron. Our room had a small desk, the first room did not. Noise level was not bad at all except for the wedding that went on until past midnight on Friday.
The attached bar 21st Amendment was difficult to get to. Drinks were fair.
The location of the hotel was great. Hotel staff were polite and efficient.
Taxis to and from the hotel were fine. All wanted cash although they should accept credit cards. $33 fixed cost to and from the airport. The included breakfast was good not great. Coffee was never very hot. Need to ask for eggs or pancakes cooked upon order.
Oval this was a great place to stay. Would return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We found the location to be very convenient to all of the attractions we had planned. It was a very noisy area but it was Mardi Gras after all. We were very satisfied with our room and the staff were always ready to please. The Breakfast staff was welcoming and displayed the Southern charm one hears of. We cannot recommend the shuttle service that was suggested by the hotel. We waited 55 minutes for it and ended up taking a taxi to the airport. We look forward to a return visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ralph R
Reviewed March 14, 2014

What a gem and right in the center of all the action of the French Quarter! My husband and I prefer smaller, boutique type hotels and this one was lovely. Our balcony room looked over into the open courtyard where you had the option of sitting al fresco for breakfast. And speaking of breakfast, it was wonderful. The buffet had everything one would look for plus the availability of eggs, omelets or pancakes to order. Definitely have the pancakes. They are so so so light with crispy edges. Delicious!

The balcony room was a very nice size with a large bathroom and good lighting. Word of caution: Be sure to watch for shower water escaping onto the floor. It can be quite dangerous as I learned firsthand when I slipped and fell right flat on the floor in the bedroom area where the water had actually reached. Amazingly I wasn't hurt but we did put towels down on the floor after that. Pretty appearance but not the best design.

Our friends had reserved a petite suite; however, the location of the one they were given was located in an odd spot with windows facing the building next door. Fortunately, the hotel was able to accommodate their request to move to a balcony room.

I would DEFINITELY stay there again. Wouldn't even bother to look into another place.

Room Tip: Try to determine exactly where the petite suite is if that is what you want. The one I am aware of w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathum54
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Upon arrival front desk person was not very aware of the parking options for the hotel, either self park or valet. They seemed more disposed to promoting valet parking. Our room, which we were told by our room option, was limited in the hotel and had a large tarp in front of it to cover the courtyard from rain. Not very attractive for this type of hotel. Housekeeping on one day did not arrive until after 4pm. Milk used for cereal had an expiration date 5 days previous and was sour. Staff did not seem to care.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David_Wirth
Chatham, NJ
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I decided to try something new on this business trip to NOLA. Generally stay at the Ritz or W-FQ, with experience at most of the other higher end FQ and CBD/Warehouse District properties as well. Prices for a recent 3 night stay were the same as the Ritz, but service was most definitely not. I believe this owner has several other properties in the area, all mid-range. If he wants to charge top line prices for the area, he needs to step up the product.

Check in was smooth, room was attractive (superior king on interior courtyard). Note very little of the marble (?) floor is covered by rugs - I slipped on a bit of water and crashed to the hard floor. Not the hotel's fault, but more rug coverage might be wise. Nowhere to hang a hand towel by the sinks. No card with TV channel listings and it was impossible to read on TV from bed. TV turns off automatically after 3 hours. Shower pressure fair, water not hot enough. If these are "green" initiatives, why are plastic drinking glasses in more plastic wrap used instead of glass? Asked engineer to adjust TV to stay on - he called "TV guy" and after about 15 minutes of fiddling said it was done. Still turned off after 3 hours.

Room not cleaned on Sun upon my 1:30 PM return. Spoke to both housekeeping and front desk - assured it would be done immediately. Returned at 3:00 PM to shower and dress for 4:00 PM meeting - room still not cleaned. Got annoyed and room was cleaned - haphazardly - by 3:40. Late for meeting. Promised cleaning Mon morning at 9:00 AM when cleaning staff arrived. Returned to room at noon on Mon - not cleaned ... late for another meeting, and so on.

As other reviewers have mentioned, pretty courtyard is marred by ugly plastic tarp. Fire alarm went off 3 times Sun night/Mon morning (about 1:30 am) with no announcement as to how to proceed. People milling around verandah areas questioning what to do. Called desk after second time - no answer at all after 20 rings or so. Called again after 3rd time - told guest set off alarm. No note of apology under door, no acknowledgement next day (front desk had "no idea" ...). This is not a unique hotel occurrence - i have been in hotels where it has happened before and there has always been both an announcement (e.g., test, error, etc) and later an apology and generally an accommodation on the bill.

Breakfast is pleasant, but why in NOLA would you have awful croissants rather than fresh beignets from around the corner?

No acknowledgement of issues at checkout, no offer of accommodation. I insisted and flustered front desk clerk acquiesced. Offer should have been made graciously and i would have accepted less.

A final note - noise is not a particular issue for me, but note that the courtyard is frequently used for weddings, etc. There was one held during my stay and it went on until about 11:30 PM and would have definitely been disruptive if one is noise-sensitive. I am told by a local resident that this has been an ongoing problem.

All in all, the hotel would be a good alternative to the larger chains if they step up their game. If they want to be a mid-range property with mid-range service, they should charge accordingly. If they aspire to be a luxury hotel at luxury prices (for the area), then they need to train staff to provide appropriate service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank MBKNJ
Chicago
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Charming and historic boutique hotel. Nicely renovated. Lovely outdoor spaces. Great location next to Bourbon Street but consequently a little noisy. Service is top notch. They really want you to enjoy your stay.

The reason I was compelled to write this review though was something I'd never experienced in 25+ years of traveling. I had come back to my room in the middle of the day to get something I forgot. I noticed a nice white t-shirt that I had set on a chair was missing. The housekeeper was in the room next door. She immediately admitted she had placed the old linen on that chair and likely had taken everything to the laundry. She had staff look for it. I had to go and told them if they found my t-shirt to just leave it in the room.

I returned that night and found a new Banana Republic white t-shirt, my size, waiting on the bed w/a receipt if I needed to exchange. There was a note that said they couldn't find my original one, that they were sorry, and they hoped this would make up for it. That was exceptional! I had completely forgotten the incident and yet they hadn't.

Kudos to the staff!