“Excellent French Quarter Stay! ”
Review of Hotel Mazarin

Hotel Mazarin
Ranked #7 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We decided to head to New Orleans for our honeymoon, and based on the reviews decided to stay at the Hotel Mazarin. Have to say we were completely satisfied with everything we experienced! For the first night down we were in a Premium King which featured a balcony over Bienville (runs between Royal and Bourbon), and I cannot reinforce the previous reviews that say if you are a light sleeper, avoid the rooms at all costs. People were out until around 4am, and construction workers started working outside around 6am - not a whole lot of time to get some sleep. First thing we did was call down to change rooms for the remainder of our trip, and the staff was more than accommodating for our request. They were able to move us to a different room away from the road and the difference was incredible. Never heard another sound from the streets outside!

For everything else, they have a full breakfast buffet every morning which was always great. Also have a business center and fitness center for anyone interested.

I would fully recommend staying here if you want a genuine French Quarter stay in a very nice hotel!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed at this lovely hotel for three days. Although it was beautiful, we will not be back. Our check in was delayed for 90 minutes past check in time, and the staff seemed indifferent to our situation. We paid extra for a room with a balcony, yet the balcony had no seating. The room was modern and bed comfortable, but this did not make up for our bad experience at the start of the stay. I have stayed at the Omni Royal and the Hyatt French Quarter and would recommend these hotels over Hotel Mazarin.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Beverlyw8
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the Mazerin after our Panama cruise, and were quite delighted by the ambiance of the courtyard, where we spent most of our time when at the hotel. If there was a down side to that - it was the plethora of tiny biting bugs. My husband is the sacrificial lamb, and his ankles were covered in bites. Not sure what could be done to rectify that, but it would be nice if they could try.
The staff were great - especially the breakfast crew - friendly and attentive. The rooms were large, but the closet left something to be desired...we ended up living out of our suitcases for the 5 days we were there. Also, the toilet is located in a really weird spot - and the door practically opens right onto the toilet itself.
If you do choose to stay here, ask for a courtyard room...we were advised of this, because street side can be pretty noisy. As it's just off Bourbon street, you're within walking distance if you want to party at night ( we didn't ) but it's also fast to get back to the hotel during the day from anywhere in the quarter.
"Bar Vin" is right along side, and we whiled away some hours with a glass of wine or cocktail as evening fell.
If we go back to NO...we would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Always as for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The perfect part of the stay was the location, only 1/2 block from Bourbon Street. It was just perfect so we could not hear the crazy noise of Bourbon Street but close enough to get into trouble. The staff was amazing starting with my check in with Nina, then breakfast with the young breakfast attendant (sorry didn't catch her name). The compl. breakfast was actually a full breakfast buffet with scrabled egged, bacon, sausage and tons more. I am so glad I paid extra for a balcony room overlooking Bienville Street. The room was spotless, large and very modern. The bathroom was also very large. You can tell the management staff pays very close attention to details. I will definitly stay at Hotel Mazarin next time in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Room 320 is great
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It's important to note that I'm gauging the hotel based on the room itself and the cost value perspective. I don't believe in the notion "Good for this area" it's based on my collective of hotels. In the end, it was average.

The Good:
*Breakfast was excellent
*Location was stellar. You away from the noise and grossness of Bourbon Street but can get there quickly
*Great double vanity set up
*Robes were a nice touch

The Less Than Good (granted some of this is pretty nit-picky but this is the #1 hotel):
*$800 for 3 nights and I got an "Oh, it's your anniversary" nothing more, that's okay
*90% of the time I walk around the staff to open the door for myself, just odd
*Had to request the second set of slippers that they listed as an amenity
*Had to have someone come up to reset my room safe (they did come quickly)
*Bed wasn't great. Sitting on it you could feel springs, laying on it, it felt better
*Pillows were bad and inconsistent - 1 hard, 1 medium, 1 soft
*I ran out of shampoo -it was never refilled, I had to run down a flight of stairs, and steal it off a cart. really, 2 people, 3 day stay - in a city where you want 6 showers a day, and they don't check the shampoo?
*The shower is stupid. It looks nice but is half frosted glass, half open - and the glass doesn't move. Inevitably you wet the entire floor. The shower head post starts about 6 fee of the ground and instead of bending at a gradual 45 degrees - it's 90 degrees down - probably to avoid the water all over the floor situation, which it doesn't. At 6'1" I got to squat and lean against the wall - gross and ill-though out. perhaps it's only room 512, I don't know.

All in all the stay wasn't bad...i didn't hate the hotel, but I sure didn't love it. Can't be #1 in the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brian L
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I like to visit NOLA once a month and stay at a different hotel based on trip advisor. Mazarin is very high and the hotel is beautiful. If you are planning to sleep, stay somewhere else. Too noisy for me !!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pbenny1
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The staff in the restaurants was fantastic. Breakfast was OK. The front desk staff was hit or miss. Night staff was much friendlier than the morning staff. The location is excellent. The CONS: unless you get a room that is not near the courtyard you will NOT get ANY sleep!!! The noise from the courtyard in the mornings can easily be cured with some earplugs BUT the noise from the housekeeping staff is OUT OF CONTROL! Each morning I was awoken by the housekeepers not just speaking loudly but screaming. I have never stayed in a hotel where this happened. I have traveled the world including third world countries and I have NEVER experienced this. It is completely ridiculous. Especially when you consider that people who come to NOLA often stay out very late. I would absolutely NOT recommend this hotel!!! By the way the bathroom mirror and baseboard had spots on it which is gross and when I was looking for my other shoe under the bed I was very Unpleasantly surprised a the filth. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo