“Nice but not exceptional”
Review of Hotel Mazarin

Hotel Mazarin
Ranked #6 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed six nights in October 2013. We liked the place overall but didn't find it exceptional.
Staff are generally very helpful, especially at breakfast, though I heard a woman checking out who, when asked 'Did you enjoy your stay?', replied 'I've had better', and the person on reception shrugged it off with not further comment or questions - this was the same person who granted our request for a room change with very little grace.
We ended up in 209, courtyard superior king. I'd booked a Premium king first off, but it was a room (218) with a balcony street-side, and one night was enough (noise from revelers, cars hooting, street cleaning, you name it). The superior king was cheaper, bigger, more comfortable and quieter - so don't book a Premium King is my advice.
Breakfast - not sure why so many people rave about it, it was exactly the same options every morning, no real choice of fruit, only fairly bland scrambled eggs (people here mention options but we were never told of any, or offered any). It offered what Americans seem to like (no disrespect) but Europeans or South Americans won't be impressed. And sitting in the courtyard is nice but far from comfortable. But, I repeat, the breakfast staff were delightfully helpful.
The room we ended up in was large, very comfortable, quiet - in other words, excellent. Very comfortable bed, cleaning was generally good too.
I'd give it 3.5 if I could, but will give 4 because of the courtyard room and the staff generally.
And our experience of NOLA was that Bourbon Street is the place to keep away from - some nice music bars but walking there on a Friday or Saturday night? Forget it, go to Frenchmen St or (on Sundays) Tipitina for a much more pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street unless you're OK with a lot of street noise. Seems like rooms with...
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mazarin

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited New Orleans in October 2013 with a group of ten people, and stayed at the Hotel Mazarin. It was an outstanding experience in every respect. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. Everyone in the hotel, from the front desk personnel to housekeeping and service staff, was friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is served buffet-style, but guests may order anything they'd like from the kitchen at no extra charge. The location is a real plus---in the heart of the French Quarter, yet calm and peaceful. For cocktails and wine in elegant surroundings, be sure to visit Patrick's Bar Vin. I can't recommend this hotel enough, and would stay here again whenever possible.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed October 11, 2013

It's our second time to stay here. Close to bourbon street! We love the great breakfast. It's nice to not have to search for that. We have managed to use the special where you get parking for free. That's is wonderful. Every one treats you well and the place has been spotless. We WILL stay again.

Room Tip: We got the exact same room as last year. Had a lovely courtyard, and it was quiet when we were there...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed in room 225. It was very quiet and surprising large considering some of the reviews that I read. When the air conditioning/or something mechanical kicked in, I loved it as I normally sleep with a noise maker on. Most of the time I didn't notice it. So may be an issue for others??

The continental breakfast was nice and yes, I did ask for the pancakes! WOW! One was plenty for me. If you like thick pancakes, this is for you. I was surprised that they also served grits and bacon since I was expecting a traditional continental breakfast.

You also have to visit Patrick's Wine Bar. Funny and engaging, he has great restaurant recommendations and a wonderful selection of reasonably priced wine. I also had a cheese plate that was more generous than expected.

This hotel is located 1/2 block from Bourbon. Our main plan was to visit the french quarter and our hotel was perfectly situated.

Room Tip: We had 225. It was roomy, with a king bed and was very quiet. We slept in most days until around 1...
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed for five nights. I have stayed at many hotels and this was by far the best. The location was excellent. You are in walking distance to everything. The rooms are very nice and very clean. The entire staff was very nice...but the dining room staff was exceptional!!!!!!! The breakfast was good but the service was better!!!! That entire staff deserves a raise in pay. I would recommend this hotel. If I ever go back to New Orleans I will be staying at Hotel Mazarin!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Mazarin Saturday Oct 5-Tuesday Oct 8. We were on the fourth floor, in a king room overlooking the courtyard. The hotel is only about a block off of Bourbon street, but we could not hear any of the partying during the night. On Sunday night, late, we heard a loud person enter the courtyard (presumable on their way to their room), but it was brief and our room was so comfortable going back to sleep quickly was not a problem. The beds are very comfortable, and the whole room was clean. The only thing I did not like was the more open shower, which made it kind of drafty when you are trying to take a nice hot shower. On our last day I noticed that there was a light in the shower that was apparently burnt out or not hooked up, and if that was a heat lamp that would have solved the problem. The entire hotel is obviously recently been updated, so you still get that old boutiquey feel with modern and clean furnishings.

We chose to eat every breakfast here every morning, and was not disappointed. Pancakes and omelettes made to order were fantastic, and everything else was fresh and tasty. The staff working breakfast were very nice, friendly, and helpful. We ate in the courtyard every morning except the last morning, just because it was a bit too cold. The old brick setting with the fountain is very charming.

The location of the hotel could not be beat. We were able to walk all over the French Quarter, and there are many many restaurants, bars, and shops in easy walking distance. The hotel is just off of Canal Street, so we also walked there and took the St. Charles streetcar to the Garden District.

Staff at the hotel were very helpful; Ronaldo recommended a City Tour with VIP which was fantastic, as well as a walking Garden District and cemetery tour which was extremely interesting too. The desk staff were helpful at recommending restaurants and bars as well.

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard room
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights while on business- The place is lovely- Perfect location. The staff cannot do enough for the guests. Only drawback: the room had a very noisy fan and a flush that came on all the time. Bedding is comfortable- I would return but would change rooms instead of staying in a flawed one...

Room Tip: Do not pick room 410!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business