“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at this location several times before, when it was the St Louis Hotel. Then, it was elegant and had a wonderful onsite restaurant. Due to TA's many positive reviews of the Hotel Mazarin renovation, I was greatly looking forward to my recent weeklong visit. Unfortunately, I was also greatly disappointed.

We had booked 2 rooms, and one of our party arrived in NO hours ahead of us, so attempted to check-in early. It was after 2:30pm, and because she has worked in the hotel industry for many years, she did not think that this would present any great problem. Not so! Believe it or not, they still did not have anything ready for her at that late hour. Well, sometimes that happens, but after several days of dealing with their Housekeeping Dept, it became clear to us WHY she could not check-in early. Out of our 6 day stay, Housekeeping only managed to get the rooms cleaned before 4:45pm on one occasion. Two of the days we just took clean towels and water, and turned the maids away at the door so that we could shower and get ready to go back out again for the evening.

Of course, the rooms were so dirty, I really don't think maid service would have made any difference. Upon arrival, I found broken glass, several hairballs, a lost button, and a diamond studded earring on the floor. (I turned in the 2 latter items to the Front Desk, and got no apology for the former.) The floor of the shower, and its glass wall were pretty cruddy looking, so I cleaned them both with hand sanitizer before using. The bedroom wall (#214) was scuffed under the window. There were several nasty looking dark stains on one of the white bedspreads. The desk was so dusty I wrote "Hi!" on the surface when we arrived, and it was still there when we left. I don't know about you, but I really don't like to do housework when I'm on vacation. Our co-traveler refused the maid service because she had sized the place up immediately at check-in, and just didn't want to deal with them at all.

Now for the mechanics of the place:

The Courtyard Fountain was out of order, and encircled in yellow police tape (really tacky looking) the whole time we were there. We heard this was due to a leak, but still they could have put some plants and flowers around it instead of making it look like a crime scene. The toilet was backed up when we got there, and backed up again the next day so that the Janitor had to come twice. The shower mechinism was awkward and it took quite a while for the water to heat up. None of the wall outlets worked and, if you tried to plug anything into them, you got sparks. The second day I realized there are outlets on the base of the lamps which do work, but the iron still only came on after unplugging and plugging it into a different outlet.

I discussed this problem with the Maintenance Engineer when he came to open my safe which kept giving me an "Error" message, and finally wouldn't open at all. I waited an hour and a half for his arrival the day before my return flight. Just imagine if the safe had malfunctioned on the next day, when I had to be at the airport by 7:00am! Needless to say, I carried my valuables around with me that last day, rather than risk another such incident at a crucial time. The TV remote worked very erratically, and no one who came to the room could figure out what was wrong with it.

It was nearly 100 degrees while we were there, with heat index @110. Ice was a necessity, and when we went looking, we found a sign pointing to a door at the end of the hall. We tried the door handle, but it was locked. All three of us, fully competent adults, tried the handle, but were unable to open the door. We went downstairs to the Front Desk, asked for ice, and were told to go back upstairs and get it. We explained that we had tried to get it upstairs, but that the door was locked, and the young lady at the Desk said, "No, it's not." Well, you can probably imagine our reaction to that (especially at 100 degrees), but we just explained again to her that we had already tried the door, and that it was, in fact, locked. She insisted we were wrong and told us to follow her so she could prove it to us. At this point, one of our party refused to continue with her any further, and requested someone go to the kitchen at once and bring us a cup of ice. The Bellman did so and, for the next 4 days, we checked that ice room door on the 2nd Floor and continued to find it locked. There had been no follow-up at all, and the insistant young lady, who was at the Front Desk each day, pretty much ignored us after this incident.

As for Hospitality:

There was no in-room Information Book to provide guests details on available services, Check-in/out times, Breakfast hrs, TV/remote instructions, or anything else. The member of our party who arrived first said that at check-in she was told nothing at all about Breakfast, and so was surprised to learn from us that it was included in the rate. None of us was told anything about the pool, exercise or business center, or the onsite bar. There were no coupons of any kind available in the Lobby for the popular NO attractions, as in other French Quarter Hotels, nor is there a Concierge Desk onsite. While we were there, no one asked us how our stay was going, and when we checked out, at different times, on different days, no one asked any of us if everything had been satisfactory. They just didn't seem to care.

On the positive side:

Hotel Mazarin looks good on the surface (maybe okay if you're not there too long, and you don't look too closely). Ada (in the Dining Room), is very sweet and seems the most guest-oriented member of the staff. The Breakfast has already been well-documented here, so I won't repeat, but it is more than adequate. Complimentary Bottled Water was helpful, especially in the intense heat. Location is good. Beds are very comfortable. the safe holds a full-sized laptop (but didn't work reliably). I found noise to be a problem only when there was an event in the courtyard.

Because I currently know of much better options in the French Quarter, I can't imagine staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank evangeline57
mdezura, General Manager at Hotel Mazarin, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Good Afternoon and thank you for your comments. We are always striving to improve guest service in all areas of the hotel and it's only with comments like yours that help us close the "gap." Our fountain was being service due to a water leak and from time to time we have to repair various areas of the hotel, so we use caution tape to ensure the safety of all of our guests. As you can see from all of the positive reviews we have received we hope you will return for a more enhanced experience. Thanks again for your comments and have a pleasant day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,138)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Excellent hotel in the middle of everything. Great retreat after wild streets of the French Quarter. There were excellent places to eat within walking distance. The hotel had the best breakfast around and also an fantastic bar. Will book again

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Gulfstar7
Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We booked the "Summer In the City" package on Hotel Mazarin's website. When we arrived one of the front desk staff told us unless we had something showing we had booked this package our discount for free parking would not be honored. I asked my husband for his cell phone to show the clerk the confirmation and when I showed him that he refused to honor it. He told us the only way we would be able to receive the discount would be if we had the paper on hand. I thought this was outrageous and didn't understand why our booking information wasn't in their computer system. After I calmed down I figured they had to have a computer in their business center and used that to print off the needed information. So beware. I think it was just this one particular guy who worked the front desk. He was not a people person it seemed and didn't really need to be working with the public. If you book something on their website, make sure you bring all paperwork with you. Anyway, on the to good. The hotel and our room were clean. The staff, except that one guy, was always courteous and helpful. I really LOVED the fact that there was no carpet on the floor, just a few area rugs. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The Petit King is just enough for couples. It's elegant and you really don't need to pay th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your business and positive comments during your stay at Hotel Mazarin. As we offer a new packages sometimes items can be missed, and it's guests like you that help us improve our guest service. We are happy all worked out for you and your husband and look forward to seeing you very soon at Hotel Mazarin!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I wanted to stay right in the French quarter, but didn't want to pay the high costs for a nice hotel. Hotel Mazarin was perfect! Friendly front desk staff, beautiful room, wonderful beds right where the action was. My room faced the courtyard, but we did hear the noise from a restaurant next store. For those who this may bother, there were ear plugs in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DianeTraveler
We are so excited to read that you had amazing stay at Hotel Mazarin! Thank you for the comments, especially about the ear plugs as we know that some of our guests have sensitive hearing. We make it a point to address any guest needs, as we are big on enhanced guest service. We are very fortunate our ownership supports and encourages proactive management. Looking forward to seeing again very soon at Hotel Mazarin.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our church youth group stayed at the Hotel Mazarin during the ELCA National Youth Gathering in July. The hotel was beautiful. The breakfast was fresh and deliscous every morning. The staff went beyond the call of duty to help both the teens and the chaperones. I need to specifically mention Jeff Mouton and Renee. This dedication extended beyond our stay when our daughter left her glasses there and the head of housekeeping Jamin kept our info and days after we had left they were found. She called and arranged for them to be sent home to us. We all highly recommend this fine hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms with an outside window offer views of the French Quarter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well hello there, and thanks for the "service" in New Orleans that your youth group provided. We are pleased to hear about your outstanding stay at Hotel Mazarin, especially the high service level you received from our staff. We "hand pick" all of our staff to ensure enhanced guest service so we can provide an exceptional experience. I must say the ELCA Youth group was so well mannered and polite we are looking forward to their return. Again, I can't thank you all enough for all of the service you gave New Orleans for the week you were here and thanks for staying at Hotel Mazarin. We will see you again!
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Hotel Mazarin is a great hotel... the location is two doors down from Bourbon Street and within walking distance to everything; especially some great dining experiences (Deanies, Mr. B's). I enjoyed the location very much. The hotel rooms were well put together, rooms were clean, beds were very comfortable, linens were decent quality, air conditioning worked great. Beautiful courtyard (air-conditioned - sounds strange but it is). A definite plus is Patrick’s Bar Vin - the bar in the hotel lobby area... I wished we went there more often, had a great atmosphere and the bartender was a sweetheart and the owner very happy to please you and speak to you, he valued your patronage.

The staff was very friendly; Jeff (the front desk guy that always seemed to be around) was very helpful and remained calm even in the middle of a full house with a wedding going on. The cleaning staff was all very friendly and helpful.

It might seem overrated, but having the small fridge stocked with free bottled water was a blessing. It is nice not to be nickel and dimed on water and breakfast.

Breakfast by the way was great... Having the complimentary breakfast every morning saved my party of three (two adults, one child) on average $30 a day. Eggs (your way), bacon, sausage, grits, fruit, toast, pastries, croissants, cereal, milk, coffee, tea, juice, and more. Servers were there to help you and give you pretty much anything you asked for.

This actual hotel does not have a pool... however, there is a sister hotel that does have a pool one block over and you are allowed to use the pool. I almost didn't stay here because of that, knowing this would have made my choice easier, hopefully this will be helpful to readers.

My only complaint or con to all of my pros was the fire alarm. We were told there was an electrical issue with the fire alarm. But out of the five days we were there, it went off almost every day and one day it went off three times. I feel bad for the fire department because they have to respond to each fire alarm. The plus side is - should there ever be a fire, the fire department is one minute away (really).

I was pleasantly surprised by my vacation to New Orleans, Hotel Mazarin contributed to my overall wonderful experience. I plan to be back and will be booking my reservation at the Hotel Mazarin.

Room Tip: I know everyone wants a room with a street view or a room with a courtyard view... but when you are...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kaleho
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Couldn't get over how friendly and helpful the staff at the Mazarin where. Larry at the front desk went out of his way to make our stay really memorable. Will be sure to stay here again in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor where great! Get the Deluxe King, The Staff went out of thier way to make o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple