“Superb Seafood Moqueca”

Mayas Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Mayas Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #456 of 1,954 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Caribbean, South American, Central American
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: St. Andrew Avenue
Transit: New Orleans RTA - www.norta.com Bus Stop @ Magazine & Jackson St. Charles Streetcar Stop @ St. Andrew & St. Charles
Description: A fare of new and traditional dishes from the Latin American region with a taste of Asian and Middle East influence.
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Superb Seafood Moqueca”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Have been to Mayas twice and both times got the Seafood Moqueca. It is their signature dish and it is superb. The fish, usually mahi mahi, and scallops and the shrimp are so fresh and tasty. I wouldn't be able to choose to just have one of them so it's definitely worth the $3 extra to have the mixed seafood option. My boyfriend had a chicken dish which had some spinach in it - also delicious. Service was very good. Was a little noisy from a group at the back when we arrived, but after they left, we could enjoy our dinner.

• Visited March 2013

“Amazing to stumble accross!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I was on a hop on hop off bus tour and I jumped off (not literally:) when I saw this cafe, I've been in NO a week now and the service was great, fast and it was the best meal I've had yet after being here a week! Nicd outdoor seating:) not too expensive,

Fayetteville, Georgia
“Awesome afternoon”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Well being not your typical "I need a po-boy" type, I desperately needed to switch it up given that I would be in NOLA for about 2 more weekends.

While parking was not all that nice, it was super cool to walk into the awesome aromas that floated through door as we passed through. Even though I perused the menu prior to my arrival online it was super hard to figure out what we wanted to eat. Ambiance there could be romantic at night.Old world french charm with a splash of Latin!

To add, $5 magaritas, mojitos, and sangria...can't be beat.

I ordered the Tropical fish and my SO ordered the Ropa vieja! While both were delectable and were delivered HOT to the table, I wished that they both had a little more kick in terms of spice. Service was excellent and expeditious.

We arrived ahead of the planned OT reservation, which was not a problem at all.

Loved it all in all and will be back next weekend!!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nuevo Latino, superb drinks, delectable menu”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Situated on a cute Lower Garden District street among other cute restaurants and shops, our 3 generation party with grade schoolers loved the outdoor seating and food. The mojito's and margarita's were spectacular. Good thing we were staying within walking distance. Best appetizers were soft shell crab, guacamole, and tamales. We shared the Brazilian Moqueca over rice...shrimp, coconut milk and spiced sauce...Latin, Creole, Asian fusion. Yum! It was noisy inside, so we were glad to enjoy the outside.

• Visited March 2013
“Awesome food and drink!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

What a great place! Our friends said this was one of their favorite places and it did not disappoint! One of their specialities are mojitos---made with real sugar cane---incredible. We tried several different ones and were delectable. Their presentation of the food was very artful! We had several appetizers and 2 different sea bass entrees that were delicious and bountiful portions! Overall a wonderful evening and would love to enjoy it again!