“Great eats, great music, great bar”
Review of Chickie Wah Wah

Chickie Wah Wah
Ranked #402 of 1,964 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Gurnee, Illinois
“Great eats, great music, great bar”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were here last weekend on a chilly night in New Orleans -- chilly enough that the originally-scheduled act didn't make it. (Something about ice on the causeway...) They substituted a free show with Raphël Bas (guitar) and Norbert Slama (accordion). The bartender described them: "You'll be transported to Paris in 1940," and so we were.

Both the BBQ and the bar let us run tabs -- the bar took (and returned) a credit card up front, we handled the BBQ bill at the end. And that BBQ! 10x better than anyone should expect at a bar/club. Delicious food - and the most incredible Brussels sprouts side dish ever. Good beer selection and good value all around.

We wanted to go back last Tuesday night to see Jon Cleary - but the temperatures in the upper 20s closed the whole joint. Too bad!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Michael W

Wellington, Nevada
“love love love Chickie Wah Wah”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Got to see Johnny Sansone on stage while he was recording a live cd. Would love to get my hands on it,,,,hmm? Had drinks only, but enjoyed every bit of the time we spent at Chickie Wah Wah... Trolley down Canal street to get there. Eclectic clientele, young and old alike. A nice diversion from the hoopla of Bourbon street. If we lived here, would be our place to go to.

• Visited January 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Blue Oak BBQ now”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This place does BBQ now, and REALLY great BBQ. Which is awesome, because I'm usually very skeptical of barbeque in this town. Every time my wife and I head to Memphis or St. Louis we usually make up for what we're missing here.

I've noticed recently there's a lot of new barbeque places popping up in town, and I have enjoyed trying the new variety that exists here. You've definitely got some OK choices now to fill your BBQ needs in NOLA. But I'm truly sold on Blue Oak.

I think they're making the best wings in town, and the groups of people I've invited to come with me to try have also confirmed this suspicion. They smoke their wings, and the sauces are pretty stellar. And for the record, these aren't those tiny wing pieces you'll find at some of the wing spots around here; they are legitimately sized wing portions. The rest of the menu is pretty solid as well- the brisket is great, as is the pork. I also really like their baked beans. If they've got a dessert going you should definitely try that too. We've had some great pie and bread pudding here.

The prices are pretty standard as far as plates go (~$12 I believe). You can order wings on game day in sets of 5 for a reasonable amount. The beer selection is good and the bartenders are great. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2013
Santa Fe, NM
“Emerging as one of the more significant music venues in NO”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Treat yourself. Go here any night and experience the NO club scene at its best. If you get a chance, see Jon Cleary, but if he is not in town, go anyway, take a chance and see whatever band is playing. You will not be disappointed. The kitchen keeps changing. When we were there in October 2013, it was excellent BBQ. (try the Brussels Sprouts and garlic Mac-and-cheese). But the food is the lesser part. Go when the town is not so crowded. Go early, and get a table at the front. Stay for both sets. Savor the wonderful-ness of the NO club scene, where you hear world famous musicians playing a few feet from you. You watch them sweat. And, between sets, they come into the audience for a beer and a break. I am very, very picky about where I go for music when in NO, and Chickie Wah Wah is one of the top three. Tell Dale that "Ellen sent me".

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Short hop on the street car"”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Lovely Bar with a superb lineup of artists and the best "sammich" I have had in New Orleans in a long time. I went on the strength of seeing that Jon Cleary was playing a solo set even though I had seen him the night before. The Bar looks fantastic and the owner is a nice bloke and very friendly. Jon Cleary was as usual out of this world and a unexpected surprise to have a quick chat with him in between sets at the bar. Went back the following night to see Alvin Youngblood Hart who was also sublime. Must mention again the chef is amazing! the best sandwiches I have ever tasted. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013