“Will go again on our next NOLA visit...”

Windsor Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle, Washington
“Will go again on our next NOLA visit...”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed at the Windsor Court Hotel in New Orleans for five nights in late June. From the airport we took a $33 cab ride (fixed rate) to the hotel. Construction going on which caused a delay leading to the hotel but once you turned the corner the hotel entrance is just beautiful. Entrance was nicely landscaped, fountain in the middle, a small oasis. We entered the lobby and there was a huge bouquet of fresh long stemmed roses and the lobby area is really nice.

We had made our reservations months ago and requested a suite on a high floor, club level, with river view. They were sold out the first night and we were placed in a room on the other side (parking lot, rooftop view). We were told they would find us the room requested and would move our belongings the next day.

Check-In: Staff was professional and courteous. Fast and easy check-in and we were given a card for two drinks at the bar which we enjoyed.

Housekeeping: What I liked is at check-in they asked for a time frame we would like housekeeping each day. We prefer morning and our room was always clean by the time we returned. I think housekeeping did an excellent job for us during the day and for nightly turn down service.

Room: After our move to a new room, full suite, bedroom separated by French doors, large dining table by the window, living room area, separate bar area, two tv’s on the top floor. Bathroom has a separate vanity area which was nice. One thing we didn’t see were any outlets available to guests by the bed (one by each night stand would be an improvement).

Club service: This was great. You need to use your room key to get to the club level. From morning to late evening refreshments were provided. We never made it to afternoon tea or saw what was available for lunch but we did have plenty of fresh fruit/berries each morning and oatmeal. Also bottled and sparkling water is available at all times in addition to the liquor. We also took advantage of the coffee, hot tea and espresso drinks.

Location: Close enough if you want to go to the French Quarter but far enough away which suited us just fine. Hotel is located off of a quiet street and close to the street car which we took to City Park.

Hotel restaurant and bars: We visited the lobby bar, Polo Lounge and The Grill Room. All staff we encountered were pleasant, food and drink very good.

Least favorite part of the hotel was the pool. We spent a few hours on Sunday afternoon. There appeared to be one staff member working a bar but the place was a mess. There were remnants of lunches and snacks eaten earlier in the day, dirty napkins, plates, empty drink glasses, condiments not cleaned up. Lounge chairs with used towels (no one was coming back) not taken care of, general lack of service. For such a beautiful hotel it would seem this would be a priority. Several guests had been drinking quite a bit and decided to get a personal portable sound system and crank up the music. Classy? Not quite, especially when you are there to relax and the music choice was pretty awful. Right after the one staff member left for the day several people came to the pool (no guest key required) with towels (bath towels from home, not from the hotel) and backpacks. They were in street clothes and took over an area in the pool at the ladder. Also no one came around to offer food or drinks during our stay at the pool.

Room Tip: Top floor suite, club level, river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank SeattleD_7
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear SeattleD_7,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that, overall, you had an enjoyable weeklong visit with us and that you are inclined to return on your next trip to New Orleans. I am disappointed to hear about your experience at the pool; however, I do believe I know which weekend you are referring to and we have since addressed the challenges you are speaking of and I am confident it is much improved. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Finnish first
New orleans
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is my Happy Place! Nobody does it like the Windsor Court. And I am speaking from an event planner /DMC point of view. Love it! From the moment you pull up to the hotel to the moment you leave it is a wonderful experience and one like no other in this great city. It will always be my first choice of hotels in New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Marguerite00,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear we are your first choice of hotels in New Orleans. As a local, your opinion means even that much more. We appreciate your support and continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay soon!
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has some good things and not good things but it does not deserve the star rating it has.

The positive - the staff are mostly great, Polo Lounge is good, food is good and rooms are fairly spacious.

On the downside, the room was dirty in ways I will not detail here, but needless to say it was quite gross. Furniture was run down and even in bad disrepair in some parts of the room. These are not things you would find in a higher-rated hotel. As with most NOLA hotels, you will pay a premium for parking.

Location is to your preference - it was a bit far from the FQ for us, but that could be a plus to others.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Denali5540
Dear Denali5540,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that we did not live up to your expectations and deeply apologize that housekeeping in particular was not up to the Windsor Court standard. Please feel free to contact me with any additional specifics you can share so that we can investigate this further. I'm also sorry to hear you did not find our location to be to your liking as our central location is one of the aspects of the hotel that people like the most. Thank you again for your comments. Should your travels bring you back to the New Orleans area, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back for a true Windsor Court experience.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The Windsor Court Hotel is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The rooms are spacious and very pretty. The service was excellent and the staff very helpful. The location was very convenient with a lot of excellent restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel was an excellent experience and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Daria B
Dear Daria B,

Thank you for writing about your April stay with us. I'm happy to hear you found the hotel to be absolutely beautiful and that our accommodations, service and location met all of your expectations. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back for another excellent experience soon!
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We only stayed one night since we stayed 2 nights at Harrah's as well. The service was spectacular from the moment we entered until we walked out the door. Everyone seemed to enjoy working there and it showed in their customer service.

Loved our suite which was beautifully appointed. It is an older hotel, but decorated beautifully. Had lunch in the Grill Room and had the best gumbo we had during our entire trip. It was a pulled pork gumbo and I had never had that before. Delicious. I also had the steak which was way over cooked and chewy and my daughter had the grouper which was tasty, but had no acid on it whatsoever. Our server was a delight , Antonia and she offered to replace the steak but I declined and just left it untouched. Chef Daniel Causgrove was in the kitchen (I asked because I had met him at the Atlanta Food and Wine festival where I had a delicious dish prepared by him) so I expected more. If only I had ordered another bowl of that gumbo.I wish I had that recipe!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Peaches0422
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Peaches0422,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I apologize that your experience in The Grill Room did not live up to your expectations. I will certainly address your feedback with our team. I am happy to hear, however, that overall you had an enjoyable visit and that our customer service is what made your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Overall I love Windsor Court. The people are really nice, food in the Dining room is great, rooms are very well decorated but, the housekeeping service is spotty and the attention to detail is a bit annoying for the caliber of the hotel.
This is my second stay at Windsor Court so I do like the hotel a lot. Problems that I noticed are, the pool guys don't clean up towels left over from guests so you don't know if someone is using the chairs, there are only 4 umbrellas for the lounges, the pool waiters don't service the lounges, not one time did they ask me if I wanted anything so you had to go to them to order. They were also gone for really long stretches during the day.
The room housekeeping, the night turn down service sometimes happened sometimes didn't, sometimes they put out the coffee maker sometimes they didn't. Also in my room there was a picture with the glass broken. I wonder how long its been like that?
Rooms service is hit and miss too. They seem to be great at breakfast but dinners are not good. I ordered a burger and it looked like someone threw it on the plate, the fries were cold, the lettuce was dry and the tomato pale, It was $34 total so I was pretty disappointed. The dinner in the Grill Room was fantastic though so don't miss it.
Overall this is a great hotel with just a little more effort from the front line staff I think it would be one of the best hotels I've ever stayed.
I'll be back again later this year,

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank dcbates
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear dcbates,

Thank you for writing about your recent trip to New Orleans and the Windsor Court. While I am disappointed to hear about some of the shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us, I do appreciate you letting us know so that we can continue to grow and learn. My deepest apologies that your stay was not up to the Windsor Court standard I know we are able to provide. I do hope we can welcome you back for your future trips to New Orleans so that we may have an opportunity to make it right.
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have stayed in a majority of the New Orleans hotels and this one ranks up there as one of the nicest. We booked a great deal on a full suite and we were on the sixth floor. Getting there is less stressful than most of the other hotels since the entrance is off a quiet street. You pull into a private courtyard so you don't have people honking their horns behind you. We used valet and the fee was pretty high at $44 per night. Valet was efficient. The lobby at this hotel is easily one of the nicest in NO. It is beautiful. Check in was quick. The elevators here are some of the fastest elevators I have ever ridden. You don't have to wait long.

Our full suite was 800 sft with a living room separated from the bedroom by French doors. There is no sleeper sofa in living room. There is a separate spacious vanity off the bedroom. The bedroom had two very comfortable queen beds. The tub in the bathroom is large and the water pressure was good.

Now for the nit picking. There was a relatively large bloodstain on one of the bed covers. Not sure how housekeeping could have missed that as it was in an obvious place. In the bathroom there was a large piece of tile that was taped in place with clear tape. It just looked cheesy and out of place in a hotel of this caliber. There was also numerous marks and damage to the wall in the living room. The balcony faced the city and the view was of local construction complete with jackhammers (not the fault of the hotel). I recommend a higher floor for better view.

One other strange thing here is that there are only a couple ice machines. There was one on floor 4 and floor 10. You have to travel to get ice.

We ate room service for breakfast and the service was excellent and so was the food. It was a bit pricey as we spent about $122 for a breakfast of 4 people.

Lastly, the pool on floor 4 is beautiful with a large deck. We went swimming around 6pm and it was empty but all the trash cans were overflowing with beer cans and there were only three clen towels left. When we left the pool somebody came by to clean up.

Overall this is a great hotel, but unless you can get a relatively good rate, I would recommend another hotel. I think the biggest problem is that we went in with very high expectations and it just missed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank tmde
Dear tmde,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us and feel that we are one of the nicest hotels in New Orleans; however, I was disappointed to hear about some of the housekeeping oversights you experienced. I apologize that we did not deliver in this regard and will certainly have these issues addressed. We appreciate your comments and your patronage and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.