“Great stay at the Windsor Court!”

Windsor Court Hotel
Ranked #6 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at this property and would definitely return. Our room was an 800 square feet suite with a comfortable living room. We had vouchers for daily breakfasts which were tasty, drinks in both bars which were excellent, and an okay dinner at the Grill Restaurant one night. Location near the French Quarter enabled us to walk everywhere. The staff was helpful and efficient.

Room Tip: Request an end room away from the elevators if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear redheadtraveler08,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent week-long stay with us. I am so happy to hear that our location, staff and food and beverage offerings made for a great stay for you. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Three years ago my husband accidentally booked our annual valentines day stay at the Windsor Court and we've been delighted ever since. It's a little difficult to find, we circled the block a few times. It's a gorgeous gorgeous hotel hidden behind an old world courtyard. There are lovely touches like the massive rose arrangement in the lobby. The art collection in the hotel is fantastic, all british period pieces.

We love how close the hotel is to Harrahs and August. The rooms and the suites are so lovely, it will make you want to remodel your house. The spa services are amazing. I've had a fantastic facial and an even better massage (east meets west style).

This hotel is almost always booked. Book early whenever you can, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear janemac29,

Thank you for writing about your experiences with us over the years. I am so pleased to hear we have become part of your Valentine's tradition and that you have returned at other times of year as well. We appreciate your patronage and your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in a full suite overlooking the Mississippi river. This hotel is very nice. Great location, great service, great décor, comfy bed. My stay included breakfast vouchers and the food was great.
Even though the hotel is not boutique size it reminds you of a boutique hotel.

I look forward to returning.

Dear mtesoriero,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear you had a great week-long stay with us and that our service, location, amenities and food were to your satisfaction. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others and look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic stay!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had made reservations in August of last year to spend our 30th wedding anniversary, in January 2014, at Windsor Court Hotel. We decided on a balcony suite, since it was a special occasion, and asked if it would be possible to have a river view. We were assured that would be possible and in December when our plans changed and we found we would need to arrive in New Orleans a day earlier, I contacted the hotel and they were most accommodating, assuring me that not only would we have a river view, but that a corner suite would be available. We were thrilled! Upon arrival late on a Sunday evening, we walked into a gorgeous suite to see a bottle of chilled champagne and roses awaiting us. I felt very special and appreciated the thoughtfulness of the staff.

As we walked through the suite, we noticed a most unpleasant smell in the bathroom. We thought perhaps one of the staff who had brought the champagne and flowers had used the bathroom and figured the smell would be gone in the morning. It was late, we unpacked and went to sleep. Unfortunately, in the morning the smell was even stronger. Best way to describe the smell was that of sewer gas, and since the toilet was functioning properly we mentioned it to Katie, one the front desk staff as we went to breakfast. She assured us she would contact the maintenance people and have it looked into right away. After a lovely breakfast in the hotel dining room, we stopped back at the front desk and were told that it hadn't been looked at yet but would be shortly. Katie was very attentive and asked if we would like to be moved to another room. We explained that we had requested a balcony suite and if there was another one available with the same view - we'd be agreeable to a move if the problem couldn't be fixed.

After about an hour, when no one had come to look at the problem, I went back to the front desk to see what the situation was. Katie had looked at room availability and unfortunately, there were no other corner suites available with a river view. I was disappointed but knew that we would be unable to remain in our current suite if the smell couldn't be alleviated. I asked if I could see one of the suites that would be available and the manager on duty, George Beattie, kindly said he would accompany me. We went to a suite on the floor immediately above and one room in from the corner where our current suite was located. Although not as nice as the suite we currently had, I figured this would be OK and walked through it into the bathroom. Imagine my shock to encounter the same sewer gas smell in this bathroom! With more than a little disbelieve, I asked George if he could smell the odor - he said he could not as he had a head cold. He in no way tried to insinuate the smell wasn't present - just that he could not detect it. At this point I thought maybe I was crazy, so I went to get my husband to come and inspect the suite and see if he noticed the odor. When he arrived and walked through to the bathroom, he immediately noticed the same smell.

My husband, who is very familiar with building construction and plumbing techniques, asked if perhaps there was a room available at the other end of the building from where we currently were that was available. George called the front desk and we were shown to a room 2 stories above where we started out, on the back side of the hotel facing the city, unfortunately with no balcony. This suite's bathroom had no bad smell, so our search ended and we packed up our things and moved to this suite.

I have seen no other reviewers complain of any unpleasant odors, so I have to believe that this situation was dealt with. There is no way anyone could have stayed in either of the 2 suites with the odor at the level it was at. My husband's concern was the sewer gas could be potentially dangerous aside from the fact that it was very unpleasant!

After arriving in the new suite, we enjoyed the rest of our stay. The staff was efficient, gracious and eager to please. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The hotel is charming, ideally located and we truly enjoyed ourselves here. Within a day of checking out, I received an email from the General Manager asking me to fill out a questionnaire regarding our stay. I did that, and explained about the odor in the 2 suites and though that I would hear something back from him regarding that situation. To date, I have not received any further emails and I hope that the situation has been addressed and corrected for the sake of others.

2  Thank PK12033

Dear PK12033,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that, overall, you had an enjoyable stay with us, but am definitely disappointed to hear about the initial smells you encountered. That is definitely not a comment I hear, so rest assured we checked out those rooms. After we received your survey, our Customer Experience Manager did follow up with you as well, so I hope you were in receipt of her email. Please know that although she is the one that reached out to you, that I receive and read every guest survey and take each one very seriously. I do appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and for filling out the survey. We look forward to welcoming you back for another pleasurable stay.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were here midweek in January and felt we had most of the hotel to ourselves. The staff called us by name, beautiful lobby and 800sq ft of space in the room/suite, special notice for my birthday. Would recommend the upper floors (about 12 at least) and view of the Mississippi. If you go below that, you will see one wall of Harrah's Casino instead of the interesting view. Of course we didn't take advantage of the pool (in 35 degree weather) area but did see it and it is very nice. The entrance is very cozy and private behind walls and vines to shield somewhat from the bustle of New Orleans. The trolley and several shuttle services are only a very short walk away.(get your $3.00 Jazzy pass at Walgreens for all day use of public transportation). Only negative? There is a very large fee for secure valet and parking your car overnight.I don't recall fees that high in New York! But is best to "unload" your car when in N.Orleans. Overall, we were VERY please and happened to get what I felt was a very good price.Our room appeared to have just been recently redone and extremely fresh. Time of year and events make all the difference in price there.

Room Tip: Breakfast rate quite high...get suggestions for nearby locations to eat.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear planned,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Windsor Court. I am so pleased to hear you had a wonderful time at the hotel and in the city and that our staff and accommodations exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We've been to the Windsor Court many times and each time is consistently good. The staff is so courteous and friendly and go out of their way to help in any way. It is like home away from home so much so that we spent Christmas Day there! We celebrated our wedding anniversary this trip. The Polo Lounge is the best place in New Orleans for drinks. The rooms are spacious and service superb. If you want a special place for a special occasion, then try the Windsor Court. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: We prefer to pay a little more for a room with a river view. The club level is also very nice and we...
1  Thank JacksonTraveler59
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear JacksonTraveler59,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review year after year and are happy to hear that we have consistently provided you with a superb experience. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The lobby and courtyard are beautiful. The rooms still need a bit of updating but they are clean! Get the club floor, its awesome, great food, drinks and professional staff. Our room could use a paint job but the room had a balcony, which is a must for us. Next to the casino which was great for me. get some workers to keep going with paint, etc. Don't get me wrong it is nice, but the GM there should know what I mean..........I think they are doing it. I would go back.

Room Tip: upgrade to a club room floor, its worth it. Get one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Misonix
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Misonix,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay and that you would come back; however, I am disappointed to see we did not live up your expectations and that you rated us only average. We most certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back so that we can provide you with the stay you expect and deserve.