“Lovely hotel just slightly lacking in service”

Windsor Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Lovely hotel just slightly lacking in service”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We reserved a two queen bed club level suite. Arrived at 5:30p but room wasn't ready. Front desk clerk very nice but initially had a "it's no big deal, just sit over there and wait or go hang out in the club lounge and wait" expectation. After traveling 9 hours and having a check in time of 3pm, that room should have been ready. After 15 minutes of standing there waiting, the assistant front desk manager offered us a $200 credit to The Grill Room. So we went there, road bedraggled. The hostess and wait staff were extremely welcoming. We had a lovely dinner that consumed all of that $200. The front desk clerk brought our room key to our table and she had the bellman deliver our luggage to our room. So they definitely made up for a dismal first impression. I'm saying this not to knock them, but to say there may be issues but given a chance, they will resolve them. The room was very nice with a large bedroom, large living room, nice sized entryway, a very large bathroom in 3 sections to make it easy for multiple people to use it, and a small balcony. We had a river view. The beds were VERY comfortable. When they got busy, getting my car from the valet was not an easy process so give them extra time for that. I wasn't impressed with any of the concierges with whom I spoke. Also the club level food/drink offerings are not remotely on par with those at The Ritz Carlton. What they had was fine but very limited in comparison.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank zbwstandby
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Gpvtxgirl,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us and that despite the initial delay, our staff was proactive in trying to make you as comfortable as possible. I will certainly take all of your other comments back to our team as we utilize this feedback to consistently improve our services and amenities. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to welcoming you back for another opportunity to provide you with the stay you expect and deserve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Finnish first
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you can get an affordable deal at the Windsor Court it is probably the most luxurious place in town. We got a deal on a suite that made our stay most enjoyable. The suite was beautiful, as is the lobby and everything else there. The service was great, although it took a few calls to get a roll a way bed delivered and the remote controls fixed. I would avoid eating here because the prices are ridiculously high. Staying in such a place, however, makes the whole vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and the elevators are turbo charged so it'll take no time to get to yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear npforr,

Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear you find our hotel to be one of the most luxurious in town. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back for another memorable stay.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've stayed there several times over about four years and have found it to be one of the best places to stay in that part of the country. It's location in New Orleans put you near everything you would want to see and only blocks away from the quarter. Excellent accommodations, superior service and fantastic food make it a true pleasure it stay there. It's especially fun to be there around Christmas time, with all the extra things going on. True luxury.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JerryQuill
Dear JerryQuill,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to New Orleans and the Windsor Court. I am delighted to hear you find our hotel to be one of the finest luxury hotels in our area and that our service, amenities and location meet your needs on all levels. We appreciate your past and future patronage and look forward to welcoming you back for years to come.
Alexandria
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at this Windsor Court in August. Seeing as how I am from New Orleans, I am familiar with the quality of the hotel and wanted to stay here. I have had tea in the lobby numerous times growing up and this was my second time staying at the hotel. The room was lovely as was the pool area. However, there were several things that occurred at the hotel that really put a horrid taste in our mouth. We ordered room service the last night that we were, and waited patiently for it arrive. After 45 minutes for a hamburger it arrived, and was promptly dropped on the floor. The waiter was apologetic and said that he would be back up immediately with another. Cut to another 45 minutes, and it was back in the room. However, there no condiments so we waited another 10 minutes for it arrive. If this had been the ONLY thing then we would have let it go. Secondly, I had a horrible experience at the spa. I went in for a brazilian wax, and the woman kept telling me that she felt uncomfortable doing it. Well, that made me uncomfortable. She informed me that she was not a fan of the wax that she was using but she HOPED that it would be okay. Well, this was truly a lovely thing to say. Guess what, she was unable to finish the waxing. I get brazilians all the time, and this was a first. . She informed me that she would switch my brazilian to a bikini wax so that I would not be charged for the full amount. It was in fact very painful, because she did not seem to know what she was doing and kept going over the same area.. I left in pain and without feeling relaxed. When I left I did tell the woman ringing me up that I was not satisfied with the last treatment that I had, but other than a "I am sorry to hear that", there was nothing to be done.
However, the thing that really upset us was that something was STOLEN from our room. The second to last day that we were there the maid came to clean our room. We explained that we would be out in ten minutes. Five minutes later she knocked again, we said again that we would be out in several minutes. When we left the room she was on the hallway cleaning rooms. We came back to our room that afternoon, and when we entered she was inside. She apologized and said that she was just finishing. This was a little odd to us, seeing as how several hours earlier she had knocked twice... We did not think anything of it. The next day as we were leaving, I suddenly remembered that I had not packed up two purchases that we had made at PJs. We could not find it anywhere, and then it all started to click in place. We went downstairs and informed them of what had happened. The man was nice and talked to security and said this had never happened before. They wanted to know if it had been in the trash.. Seeing as how we had placed in the drawer with our clothes, there was no way that it could have been mistaken for trash. We were leaving for our flight and he said that he would be calling us that day and leaving a message for us. He gave us a 20 dollar credit, I believe on our bill. When we got home he had called . However when we called him back 3xs we kept getting a machine. Finally, we just let it go.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne J
Dear Anne J,

Thank you for writing about your August stay with us. I am so sorry to hear about all of the challenges that you encountered during your stay with us. Please know that the lapse in service you described is not the norm, nor is it acceptable, and that I will be addressing your concerns with our team. Please feel free to contact my office on your next visit to New Orleans. I hope to still have the opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with that special experience you expect and deserve.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a lovely, if busy lobby with beautiful holiday decorations. Our room was a king suite and although roomy, it lacked some of the extras I would expect from a hotel in this price range. For one, check-in was slow. The supply of towels in the room was meager-- only 1 hand towel! There is a tub with a shower curtain-- I expect a shower stall, and at the least a glass enclosed tub when I am spending this much for a room (and an upgraded suite).

The bed is very comfortable. However, I don't understand why hotels all think that everyone wants to sleep under a heavy down comforter. I prefer a lighter blanket, or at least the option of sleeping with just a sheet. And there were only three pillows for a king-sized bed.

On a bright note, the dressing area and vanity were beautiful with EXCELLENT lighting and the decor tasteful French country-- perfect for a New Orleans hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kim H,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent visit to New Orleans and to the Windsor Court. I am happy to hear that, overall, you had a nice experience; however, I am disappointed to hear we fell short on being able to customize your stay. We pride ourselves on personalizing each guest's stay and can certainly provide you with all the special requests that you have asked for. Please feel free to contact our Customer Experience Manager at resv@windsorcourthotel.com and she can assist you with all your needs. Thank you for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Windsor Court at Christmas is wonderful. The hotel public spaces are decorated beautifully and the people watching is fun. Our room, a deluxe king, was spacious with a sofa sitting area. We even had a balcony overlooking the Mississippi. The hotel is within walking distance to several noted restaurants such as August, Root, 7 on Fulton, Cafe Adelaide and more. You could see Saks and Canal street shopping from one direction and the Riverwalk Mall and Casino from another. We ate a delicious, leisurely breakfast in the breakfast restaurant. Have a drink in the Polo Lounge and enjoy the old world ambience. The staff at the hotel are always courteous and knowledgeable. We go to New Orleans about every two years and always stay at the Windsor Court sometime during the Christmas break. It's magical. Check their website for discounts, etc. You can enjoy a grand hotel experience on a less than grand budget!

Room Tip: We stayed in 1709. The room was off a main corridor tucked behind the elevators but you did not hea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra I,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit with us over Christmas. I'm so happy to hear we could provide such a memorable holiday celebration for you and that you were able to take advantage of the hotel's convenient location in order to experience all that New Orleans has to offer. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!
new orleans
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our recent stay. The lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas and was very busy with guests in for the New Orleans Bowl. The check-in area is small but quaint and really makes the process feel more personal. We stayed in a suite on the executive level and enjoyed ourselves immensly. I believe the property was recently renovated and it shows. The suite was decorated in pale blue and cream colors and was very inviting. To say the suite was spacious is an understatement. Aside from the bedroom and living room (which included a small table for meals)there was a separate "dressing" area, another area with the bathroom sink and vanity and a separate room for the tub and toilet. We visited the executive lounge for cocktails as well as breakfast. This is what other executive Lounges should aspire to be. There were several rooms with multiple seating areas, an open bar and a hearty display of hors 'oeuvres in the evening. Breakfast is what I'd consider an expanded American and all items were fresh and tasty. They even go as far as to warm the pastries before putting them out. Nice touch! Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The only downside is that we were there for just 1 night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear kretpa,

Thank you for posting your review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed all the service and amenities the Club Level has to offer. Your recommendation and positive experience is very important to us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay!