“Westin at Canal Place”

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #84 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Great location and wonderful staff. The hotel is definitely not as a quaint as some of the boutique hotels, but it is quiet and very secure , especially is you are a woman traveling by yourself. The staff is awesome. The hotel could use a little fresh paint, but other than that, it was great. You can walk anywhere in the quarter. Just bring flats!

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have a beautiful view
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Brian A, Director of Sales at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thanks for the kind review! We work to make all guests feel safe and I'm glad you enjoyed the river views. It can be very calming, especially at breakfast in River 127. Since we have recently adopted new initiatives aimed at elevating our service levels, your feedback certainly indicates that our team is focused. If you can think of any additional suggestions, please let me know. You'll be glad to know that we have several important maintenance projects underway including the redesign of Green Bar, which began today. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to New Orleans.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

When booking this hotel I requested a low floor. However, no where on the hotel website did it mention that the lobby is on something like the 14th floor and then the room floors start above that. I also didn't like the fact that there was a mall which is open to the public directly underneath. . .and anyone from the mall has access to the same elevator that took us to our room.

I also want to mention that although the hotel and room were a disappointment, the staff was not. We ended up leaving early because we were so dissatisfied, but the staff were wonderful in trying to resolve our problems and eventually helping us to check out early.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian A, Director of Sales at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Thanks for taking time to write a review. It is natural for guests to expect the lobby to begin on the ground level, however many guests enjoy the views from the 11th floor sky lobby. With our guestrooms on floors 14-29, each one offers nice views of the city and river. I understand that you were not happy with your room this time, but should you choose to return, please let me know and I will make sure you are on one of our upper floors. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to our city.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We loved this place. We had a roof top pool and awesome views. The place was amazing and so glad we stayed here. The only bad thing was it was a little confusing where to check in and getting to our room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Brian A, Director of Sales at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Hello. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and the pool. Several of our guests find the initial check-in confusing since our lobby is on the 11th floor. Other guests tell us that the appreciate the privacy. I'll pass along your comments to our staff who will be glad to learn of your positive experience. We hope you'll come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

First time to NOLA with the family en route to the Florida Gulf beaches from Texas. The view: wow. The suite upgrade: wow. The convenience to everything the French Quarter had to offer, being able to step outside and run along the river, walk to Cafe Du Monde, go on a boat ride on the Mississippi, and the spectacular (albeit small) rooftop pool with the amazing view... I can't think of anything this hotel was missing. We weren't sure what to expect when we decided to bring three kids under 11 here, after an 8 hour drive, but we all enjoyed our stay. Can spend hours just watching the boats. Thanks for turning our short stopover into a fun New Orleans adventure.

Room Tip: get a view of the Mississippi - but I think every room has this view...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

We were glad to read your enthusiastic review of your stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. It sounds like you enjoyed your stopover in our city on your way to those beautiful gulf coast beaches (that we also like to enjoy when we can). Thanks for making time to come and see us and we sincerely hope you'll find time to visit us again. There's so much more to see. A personal favorite of mine is the new WWII Museum. I'll be sure and share your comments with our staff.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

If one plans to go and come often, one might be advised to find another place to stay. This hotel is imperfectly situated within the Canal Place Mall. The lobby is on the 11th floor and accessed either by elevators from the hotel entrance on street level or from separate, extremely slow, elevators that also service the mall's garage. To get to your room, you must go to 11 and change elevators no matter what. On the last day of our stay, another member of our party told me it was more convenient and cheaper to park in the open air lot across the street than in the mall garage, which was $27 a night. I didn't check this out, but it seems reasonable. Housekeeping was extremely spotty during our stay, coming too early (before 9 a.m. on a Saturday), too late (about 4 p.m.) or (twice) not at all among our seven rooms. All else was okay. The workout room was well equipped and featured great river views. The air conditioning was not working in the room the last two days, however, and it got very warm. All the staff encountered were pleasant.

Room Tip: River and city views are available if it matters to you. The suites we saw are nice and reasonable.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thanks for taking time to review our hotel. I will pass along your comments to our director of housekeeping. As far as the parking is concerned, the ground lot is now the same as the self-park garage price, but on the weekends especially, it tends to be easier to access our lobby from the hotel elevators that open up to our main reception area since there are no stops between floors 3-11. The other elevators that you utilized provide access to every floor of the parking garage. We are constantly working on improving our service levels and our satisfactions scores have drastically improved over the past year. We hope will give us another opportunity to host you someday soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

I recently spent 2 nights in the Westin Canal Place while attending an event in New Orleans. I was in a king bed room with a river view. The room was very spacious and comfortable, and the the furnishings were pleasant and up to date.

While I liked my room, I had several problems here and both were related to noise levels. There are lots of hard materials inside this hotel and the sound really is amplified by them. The lobby area (front desk, lounge and bar) on the 11th floor is really very noisy if there are more than just a few people there, which is most of the time.

Making it worse is that the to get to a guest room you have to change elevators on 11. The first 3 floors of this high-rise building are a retail shopping mall and floors 4-10 are a parking garage. Both the garage and shopping center elevators terminate at the lobby area on 11. Hotel guests must then change to a different set of elevators to access their sleeping rooms on floors 12-29. As a result, most of the day the lobby area on 11 is like Grand Central Station and just about as noisy and congested.

The other noise problem was the guest room doors. They are very heavy and make a loud noise when shut if the person does not take the trouble to dampen the speed of the closing door, which is most of the time. Making it worse it that the hotel is right on the edge of the French Quarter and there is lots of late night inebriated guest traffic on the sleeping floors with loud voices in the hallways and slamming doors.

The noise levels in this hotel will keep me from staying here again and I am a SPG member! On the plus side, this hotel is directly across the street from Harrah's Casino and only a block off the Mississippi River and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, Riverwalk shops, Convention Center, French Quarter and French Market.

Based on my own needs, I can only give it a poor rating, which is 2 on the TripAdvisor 5 point scale.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AustinWhitewater
Brian A, Director of Sales at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

It was great to receive your review today. We are glad you liked your room and hope your visit to the city was enjoyable. It seems that you are a big fan of several of the attractions located next to the hotel. While we do receive comments from guests that they like our lively sky lobby and appreciate that mall patrons and other non-guests do not have direct access to the guestroom floors.

I will be sure to share your comments with my team. We sincerely hope you'll make time to visit our hotel again in the future.

Best regards

Brian Atchison
Director, Sales & Marketing

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Wonderful location! I really enjoyed my room, the view, and how beautiful the hotel is! I stayed on the 16th floor. Imagine my surprise when I came down the elevator to leave this morning and was greeted by firefighters and police. I thought the building was on fire. I went straight to my car and checked my phone for the news. Apparently there was a hostage situation on the 17th floor. The news said the hotel had notified the guests inside the hotel. I never heard anyone come to my door or call. So sad that people have to act so crazy. Thankful no one else got hurt. You know- I never heard the gunfire or anything. That's how quite and peaceful my room was! (That's actually a good thing!!!) Looking forward to staying here again. Loved the Green Bar as well. The bartenders there are a lot of fun!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Brian A, Director of Sales at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Hello. Thank you for taking time to publish a review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. The safety of our guests and associates is of utmost importance and we took necessary action while working closely with the first response teams, who arrived within minutes of the initial call. We are grateful for how professionally they handled the situation while we worked to make our guests as comfortable as possible.

We strive to maintain a comfortable experience for everyone. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your time with us over the weekend and hope we'll see you again soon.