“Personable staff!”

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #84 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I was staying here for a conference and the view at check in is BREATHTAKING! It sets the stage for your stay in New Orleans. Every time I saw a staff member they would ask if there was anything they could do or how was my stay. Very nice. I will say that depending on the night we didn't know if we would be given hand towels and wash cloths (some nights none were left) and occasionally there were pillow cases mysteriously left on the bed but that was the only oddity. The location is perfect if you are wanting to quickly get to Bourbon Street or the other sites downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! I know some had to have an amazing view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Wow!

Thanks for the great comments about our team! I will be sure to share your comments to energize the associates to show that the training and hard work they have committed to is paying dividends in service to our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Was in town visiting family and this was the worst experience. This was the first time coming to this hotel and it will be the last. You have to constantly as k question. No one tells you where the elevators are or which one to take. The lead valet gentleman, Ray, very rude, not willing to help and did his best to push a hustle by try to get us to park in a unknown parking lot and claim that there was no more valet space. The attending took our bags and never requested a ticket. We had to call twice and look for our bags because they was no where to be found. Staff on the phone is very inappropriate and rude. Not helpful at all. When you call to request a item or ask a question during the day it takes an hour and a half to get an answer or for you to recieve the item. If you stay in New Orleans, please do not use this hotel.

5  Thank Courtney Cookie H

Hi There,

I am sorry for your experience and hope to rectify the details provided in your statement specifically in the near future. We have been working through a few challenges, but have recently made several key changes to improve our service and our communication from department to department to optimize the delivery of requests to our guests. This includes training and technology that will enable our team to perform better moving forward.

I hope that you are able to and are willing to return to see how these enhancements are beginning to impact our service levels to our valued guests.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I chose this hotel because I've always had good luck with Westin hotels. They're usually clean, elegant, quiet and nicely appointed. I am also a member of their rewards program.
When we arrived at check-in time, we were informed that my request for connecting rooms (older daughter) would not be honored. We opened our rooms to the blast of the train and boats below. When making the reservations, I'd requested very quiet rooms as we are all light sleepers. The trains ran into the evening and began again in the early morning (not great if you come from the west coast.) When asked if we could switch to a quieter set of rooms, we were told there were no quieter rooms available. The front desk said they would let us know the next day. They didn't.
The hotel is in need of an upgrade. Our bathroom door had a chunk of wood out of it, the room didn't seem clean, and the shower only had a hand-held (our other room had a full shower head) and the room looked a bit shabby. The room service menu was very limited and the food was not great. The food in the restaurant was much better.
The concierge was very nice as was the doorman who directed traffic outside the hotel. But I would not stay in this Westin again. It's too bad too because we will be traveling to New Orleans regularly over the next couple of years.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one that is opposite the river which is where the boats and train...
2  Thank MartinG32655

Hi There!

Thank you for reaching out to share your experience and I apologize that you had some challenges in obtaining a connecting room during your visit. On busy leisure weekends, I can assure you that it can be extremely difficult to honor the 50 to 60 requests we receive from our guest for connecting rooms. However, I can assure you that we do feel the disappointment when we are unable to deliver on the wishes of our valued guests and try to make up for it in some way during your visit. Unfortunately, it does not sound like this occurred during your experience.

We are also currently revamping our entire culinary concept which we are highly confident will tantalize your taste buds in the very near future.

I hope we can gain a second opportunity to make a better impression on you in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

March 24, 2014

This past week, I attended a conference at the Westin from March 19 - 21, 2014. I attended their summer conference at the Westin Canal Place June 20-21, 2013 of this past year.

I had a couple of small issues when I checked in this summer getting in early in the morning and being given a room that had not been renovated, but your staff was very nice and moved me - even sending a nice gift of Zapps and Root Beer to the room with a note to apologize for the inconvenience of moving me to a nicer room the next day. When I checked out, they offered me numerous extra Starwood Preferred Guest points to make sure I was happy. I left with a great feeling about Westin.

My experience this past week was far from pleasant, even unacceptable, and I wanted to share some issues with you that I feel you might like to know.

1) I traveled over 11 hours to New Orleans by car. When I arrived at almost midnight, I parked in the parking garage, which I have parked in several times over the years. I pulled my car into a spot near an elevator that had a Westin sign on it. I have attached a photo of the sign. I was alone, carrying a large suitcase, carry-on bag and hanging clothes, along with a lap-top. The elevator signage said "The Westin" with Azalea & Magnolia and Meeting Rooms on level 3. When I got to Level 3, I looked around for the hotel and realized something was wrong. Because I had shopped in Canal Place before, I realized where I was and knew then that I had gotten on the wrong elevator.

Because I was alone, I chose not to return to the parking garage at that time of night, so I went on down to the Canal Place lobby and walked to the hotel outside and around from the Starbucks/Anthropologie entrance. When I got to the hotel entrance, the bellman came toward me and offered to take my luggage on up to the lobby. I said I was fine, that I had gotten it this far myself and could get on up to the lobby. I explained that the signage wasn't clear in the elevator/garage and he was obviously irritated that I wouldn't give him my luggage and said "That's not on me!" I hardly believe that "That's not on me" is an appropriate thing for anyone in the hospitality industry to say to a customer. It was late, I was a woman alone carrying a heavy load and frustrated about the bad signage. I sure didn't expect attitude from a bellman looking to make a tip when I had gotten that far by myself.

2) I got to the lobby and explained about the signage confusion and was totally out of breath. The nice lady at the front desk said it happened "all the time." She went on to say I should have parked at the bank of 3 elevators instead of the bank of 2 elevators, but that "nobody ever realizes that." If it happens "all the time" I would recommend a change in the signage to at least let people who get on the wrong set of elevators know that the hotel lobby is NOT a destination of that elevator.

3) As I tried to check-in, I was told that my ghost travel account from my state employer would not be an acceptable form of payment, even though my reservation had been made by the university using that card and that fact that I had a letter with the account number, expiration date, and CVV2 code in hand. It is a Visa commercial account for use in making travel arrangements for employees. I had been told by the person who handles travel at my university that everything had been taken care of and that he had checked with the hotel before I left on the trip to be sure all was in order. One lady who was working the front desk was very nice and offered to talk to the manager for me. It went downhill from there...

After a few minutes, a manager (who I won't name) came out front and told me I wasn't authorized to use the ghost account and that I needed to put up my own credit card to take care of the reservation. Since it was 11:00 at night, there was no one at my office that I could talk to about this issue, so after some very heated back and forth with the manager about what my options were, I tossed my personal credit card on the counter. In a very firm, ugly voice, she told me I was being "disrespectful" to her. This is at 11:00 p.m. after I had driven all day to get to the hotel and had a bad experience getting to the front desk. I assure you, she was the one who was "disrespectful" from the moment she entered the lobby. Her hostility was palatable, which led to my getting more and more frustrated. Ironically, this happened to someone else I know when checking into the Hilton, but the Hilton was very nice and let them go ahead and check-in as long as they had it worked out with the pre-authorization form before noon the next day.

I got to my room after all of that, and the keys didn't work. I had to lug all of my luggage back to the phone by the elevator and wait for security to have another set of keys made and bring them to me so I could get in the room.

4) The next morning, I made contact with the university asking them to contact the hotel to work out the issue with the ghost travel card. I also mentioned that my check-out date appeared to be off by one day. My confirmation paperwork showed a check out date of the 3/21, but I was supposed to check out after the conference ended on 3/22. The purchasing agent for my university, contacted the hotel to find out what the issue was with the ghost card and to change my check-out date and was told he needed to fill out a pre-authorization form for the US Bank ghost travel card to be used for my payment. He took care of that on Wednesday morning and told me he changed my check-out date on the form he completed online. He got a confirmation that the form had been received, so he assumed all was well with both issues.

I went to the front desk and met the nice lady again and apologized for my frustration the evening before when I had checked in and had such a bad experience. She indicated that I should fill out a comment card about my experience, especially my interaction with the manager. I verified that yes, the hotel had received the pre-authorization form from the university with her and asked her to be sure my personal card's funds were released and she told me she would personally take care of that.

5) On Thursday, I called my personal credit card company and was told the money was still encumbered on my personal card and that the Westin had not initiated a release yet. At that point I talked to a different manager who assured me he thought my personal credit card had been released and he would take care of it personally. He was very nice. About an hour later, he called to verify he had taken care of this for me.

6) On Friday, thinking all was well, I went about the conference and enjoyed some afternoon free time before the conference banquet that evening at 6:00. I returned to my hotel room at 4:00 to find that my room key didn't work. After checking, I found that the check-out date had never been adjusted on my reservation. From 4:00 until 5:00, two people at my university tried to talk to the manager and others to see what could be done. All of us were told that the hotel had not received the change of the date in my check-out and that they were sold out for the evening and I would have to pack up and leave. Because the pre-authorization form was completed online, we do not have a hard-copy to prove that we asked for the change to be made to the check-out date.

So, at 5:00, I packed up my room and left New Orleans. The manager said there were other rooms available in New Orleans on hotels.com and I would have to move to one of those, as there were no other options at The Westin. He said he would change my check-out time to 7:00 p.m. and said "there is nothing else we can do." I was stunned. After considering that I would be late for the banquet after all of this, I just got my things packed and left driving for home, which was 11 hours away.

I drove that night crying about the whole experience and how I had been treated. About how, with one problem after another, some of the Westin staff had seemed rude and uncaring about guest services. I had been treated better the summer before when all I had asked was to be moved to a renovated room. On this trip, not one person offered sincere concern or to even apply Starwood Preferred Customer points, much less offer Zapps, Root Beer and an apology note this time. What changed? Has the Westin's code of customer service changed? If so, I'm moving on and writing Westin off for good.

I can't say when I have ever had such a bad experience at a hotel. Perhaps part of the blame was mine for getting on the wrong elevator so late at night and being nervous and anxious about my arrival. But a smile and an assurance that someone would help me work something out the next day would have gone a long way. Instead, the attitudes of the night manager and the bellman at that hour sure put the wrong taste in my mouth about the whole weekend. To then have been essentially kicked out of the hotel was a complete mind-blowing experience. My university paid for the privilege of my being treated that way. In my mind, that is unacceptable.

Christy K.
Starwood Preferred Guest

Room Tip: As for a renovated room with a city view. Be careful to get out in the parking garage near elevators...
4  Thank bufordspur

Greetings,

Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent experience with us. I am so sorry for your experience and have shared each detail with the property team to ensure we improve from your comments.

Even with the hotel being sold out and unable to extend your reservation, it surely seems that we did not show the proper care or humanity in helping you resolve these accommodation challenges. In terms of the challenges with the credit card and less than courteous associates you encountered, I am confident that we will correct these issues immediately.

Our entire team is regretful for your experience and eager to make this up to you on future visits. Please reach out to me personally if I can assist you with anything at all in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here post cruise and found it to be an excellent choice. Check-in is on the 11th floor and provides for a great view of the river. We arrived early from our cruise and rooms were not ready. The desk clerk was very helpful and did her best to get us a room. Worth the wait when we were put into a river view room. Nice room! Would look into this hotel when returning to New Orleans.

Room Tip: Ask for/book a river view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Hello,

Thanks for the 5 stars! We are delighted that you enjoyed the view of the Mississippi and French Quarter from your room and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stay for 4 days with my son. The room was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable and each one had 3 pillows, nice touch. The view of the city from the room was great. The location was fantastic. We were able to walk to the French Quarter, aquarium, and even the convention center. There is also a large casino across the street. Every person that we came in contact from the Westin was nice, courteous, and informative. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The valet parking is $40.00 a night, but you can self park for $18.00 right by the hotel.
1  Thank Bigdave2359
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are delighted to hear that you and your son enjoyed your visit to Westin New Orleans in taking advantage of our location to so many unique attractions. Lastly, I hope that the nice comments shared about our guest service team helped play a small part in what sounded like an exhilarating New Orleans experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We checked into the Westin Canal Place via a conference organiser. Check-in is on the 11th floor, there is a high-end mall below the hotel. It was late (11.30pm) after a long flight, unfortunately only minimal room service food was available. Asked for a club sandwich, it too came cold (not toasted) but tasted fine.

The room smelled musty on walking in, perhaps because there is no forced ventilation (exhaust fan) apparent in the bathroom. Shower excellent, Bed excellent, toiletries seemed a little lacking for a Westin.

Breakfast is OK, but no freshly cooked egg station, and the menu was the same very day we were there. The lounge on the 11th floor has a wonderful view of the river, and a drink with friends here is a nice start to an evening on the town.

Location is brilliant! If you're on the river side of the hotel, a wonderful view of the Mississippi river is evident. On the other, a great view of the French Quarter, apparently. Bourbon street, and the rest of the French Qtr attractions are within an easy walk, and the Morial Convention Centre only a 15 min walk away.

1  Thank gsbones

Hi There!

Thanks for sharing the positive feedback from your Westin New Orleans visit! Our location and views are truly one of a kind. The experience from our 11th floor sky lobby while sipping on a tasty cocktail with friends at sunset cannot be understated. The view and ambiance…simply amazing!

However, the areas mentioned that you would like to see improved are just as important. I did want to make you aware of a few enhancements that are nearing completion. We are in the final stages of a complete revamp of all of our culinary menus to focus on regional cuisine and local farm fresh ingredients. We hope to offer more variety with a modern twist on some of your well known New Orleans favorites.

We hope to welcome you back shortly to see and taste the improvements we have made!