“Westin Canal Place” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Westin Canal Place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Westin New Orleans Canal Place this past weekend. I had read some of the previous reviews so I knew what to expect. The hotel is at the Shops of Canal Place or rather above it so if you don't know where to look, you might miss the entrance or get lost trying to find it. I called the Front Desk and they told me to use the entrance on Iberville close to Canal past the Starbucks. You will see the bellmen and can then take the elevator up to the hotel lobby. The hotel could use a little refreshing but it is fine overall. The Front Desk staff was friendly at check in. The rooms are decent sized and are fairly clean - I didn't have any complaints about my room other than really noisy neighbors on the floor. There was no consideration for the other guests as you'd sometimes have people holding loud full conversations outside of their rooms - odd. The people across from me were horrible at this and did it all day and night. The food would be my only big disappointment. I wanted to order room service since I couldn't go back out that late but couldn't find a menu or anything so I walked down to the Front Desk and got a really bad copy of the menu. There aren't a lot of options so they should do a good job with the few things they offer right? I ordered a burger medium well and fries. The burger was charred beyond anything that anyone would want to eat and my sister's grilled cheese was cold. They did replace the burger cooked to the correct temperature with hot and fresh fries after I called because it was really not edible so I appreciate that. Check out was easy - completed it from the room and left the keys and they emailed a final copy of the bill at my request. I would probably stay here again but I would eat elsewhere with all of the options that New Orleans has to offer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank LCW73
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hello!
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay with us! I am so sorry about the noisy neighbors, next time we will make sure that you are not placed in a room with a connecting door. Additionally, thank you for letting us know about the poorly cooked burger from Room Service. We will talk to the culinary team to ensure this is prevented in the future.

I would also like to make you aware that we are in the final stages of a full menu enhancement in all of our outlets that is focused on local and regional ingredients with a modern twist on some of the well-known New Orleans dishes.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Be Well,
Kenneth Jacques
Director Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Jonesboro, Arkansas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I go to New Orleans several times a year and have for thirty years. This was the first and last time I stay at the Westin. I was there a week before the beginning of the busy Mardis Gras season. The hotel was a disappointment from the word go. The reception area was drab and uninviting.the receptionist was abrupt and clearly wasn't happy to be there. I was there for a medical convention and opted for a more upscale room. The room drab and the carpet was nasty. There was no air vent in the bathroom and the room stayed steamy. The view was great when you could see it through the dirty steamy windows.i wanted room service and there was not a menu in the room..I called down for a menu. What was ungraciously sent up to my room 30 minutes later was a photocopy that was almost unreadable..I was like..Hey Folks..change your ink cartridge.the food was mediocre,cold and for New Orleans that just isn't right. Oh did I add this hotel does not have a gift or sundries shop..just a vending area by the receptionist area.
They never refilled the coffee caddy in my room and if you wanted a cup of coffee you were hiking a half mile into The Quarter..or sitting in their utilitarian restaurant . the beds were okay comfortable but nothing to write home about.i had to ask them to change the sheets after three days. They will not be getting a second chance for me. If it was after Mardis Gras I could understand the lack of care to a guests needs and comfort. But the week before...No way..will stick to The Quarter..at least there I can spend less and be closer to good food and vibes

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Sherry M
Matthew M, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We apologize for the disappointing customer service you experienced during your visit. Our staff takes pride in delivering friendly and personal service to our guests, and to hear that we did not achieve that level of service is unacceptable. I can assure you that we will share this experience with our Housekeeping, Front Office, and Food and Beverage Teams to work to improve from it immediately. New In-room Dining menus are being ordered and will be placed in all of our guestrooms, however there is no excuse for sending an unreadable photocopy in the interim. We are currently in the process of refurbishing the bathrooms in all of our guestrooms, and will be moving to the carpeting next. We recently replaced all of the carpet in our public areas, as well as refurbished our lobby. We appreciate your comments and will continue working to improve our team on a daily basis.

Plymouth, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

You're paying for the location to stay at this hotel. First off, it is located on top of a shopping mall. If you don't read all the signage close enough, you'll never find it to even check into. At 2:00am, after a ride in the elevator to nowhere, my wife and I found ourselves pulling our luggage aimlessly through a closed up mall. Fortunately, a security guard approached us asking what we were doing. He then explained how you have to take a certain set of elevators to the 11th floor to find the hotel. From there, you have to take another set of elevators up to your room. It's a big pain in the ___ to have to ride 2 sets of elevators every time you leave the hotel. With that said, the hotel is located at the bottom of Canal St. You are within walking distance of everything. The room was average and the breakfast buffet expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel have a great view of Jackson Square, the waterfront, the Mississ...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank davidkath
Matthew M, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience from your visit at Westin New Orleans. We're happy that you enjoyed our location, but understand that you had challenges with the transition from our high rise to low rise elevators. We appreciate your comments.

Apollo Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here for a conference. The hotel is in a fantastic location. Harrah's casino is across the street. Jackson square is 5-10 min walk as is Bourbon Street. The hotel is located above a very nice shopping mall with upscale stores. The hotel lobby is actually on the 11th floor! Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were large and beds were comfortable. Housekeeping neglected to restock coffee and enough towels. Rooms were cleaned late in the afternoon. Had to ask for more towels, coffee, shampoo etc. There was a desk and office chair in the room. A sitting chair and small table would be appreciated as their is ample room. Room needed updating. Because of its great location, I would stay here again if the price was reasonable. Don't miss the rooftop pool for great views of the Crescent City.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Shelley B
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and our great location. We apologize for the disappointing service you experienced from our Housekeeping staff. Your comments will assist us in improving our service in the future. We hope to welcome you back to see the improvements we have made!

Key West, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here hundreds of nights over the years. I also recently reviewed this property. First, I rarely get my faxes and true to form tonight my boarding pass was lost. I finally had to go to the front desk and get a personal email from A lovely front desk clerk who printed and handed to me. This is a hotel that needs a management reshuffle. I am here a few times each month for over ten years and I never see the same face at the front desk. I also eat regularly at the hotel, tonight in the only choice called the Green Bar, where they serve at night and not a true restaurant. It was so dark, no way to read menu or to see my meal when served. Asking why, I was told, "Corporate orders." Hmmm. My office is in this complex and it makes sense for my stays. Please get your act together for your business customers who wish for you to be a good hospitality choice.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Rider123
We apologize for the issues you have experienced during your recent stays with us. We will be certain to share your comments with our Department Heads in order to improve on a property level, as well as with our Executive Management. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experiences.

Clemmons, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. The room overlooked the river...wow is that cruise ship going to make the turn. Also overlooked the park....lots of street kids. Also overlooked the French Quarter.....easy walk. Casino next door....didn't use it. Hotel staff does a good job.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank granpagolf
Thank you very much! We’re happy you enjoyed your stay so much. It is always amazing to watch those huge ships make that turn on the Mississippi River! We will certainly let our staff know that you appreciated their service. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Not impressed with our 5 day stay at this hotel for it's price. Apart from it's location for shopping and Casino and the nice river view, the hotel could do with some up dating and refurbishing. The room we were given had a noisy vent fan.We notified reception on this and apart from sending someone to look at it with no improvement, the reception staff seemed indifferent. The concierge was helpful with information. Room and bathroom cleanness was superficial and odors were camouflaged with chemicals. Pillows had a faint smell of urine! the sink taps in the bathroom was loose and wobbly. On our last day (Saturday) the room was not done or cleaned until we called reception at 6 pm to have it done, although we were out all day! Will not be going back, lots of other hotels to consider for next visit.

Room Tip: Check out the room assigned for noise level, view and cleanliness before settling in.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elliotte L
We apologize for the disappointing service and conditions you experienced during your recent stay with us. Your comments will assist our Housekeeping and Engineering Departments in improving procedures to prevent issues such as this in the future. We appreciate your review.