“First Stay at the Westin New Orleans Canal Place”

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #83 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We recently stayed at the Westin Canal Place for two days. We have stayed in the following New Orleans: Hilton Riverside, Monteolone, Astor Crowne Plaza, Loews, Royal Sonesta, Provincial and Sheraton. I would rate the Westin near or at the top of the list of those hotels.

We arrived around 2pm and valet parked. Efficient valet although a bit pricy at around $40/night. You can self park for cheaper right by hotel.

The lobby is on the 11th floor and you have to either take glass elevators in Canal Place Mall or elevators by valet parking. The lobby is awesome and has what I consider easily the best view of the river and French Quarter than any hotel in New Orleans. Some people complain about having to use two separate elevator banks and I can understand where that might be an issue during a crowded period. We had zero issues with the elevators.

Check in was efficient and room was not ready. I gave my cell number and they called me about fifteen minutes after checking in and the room was ready. I had booked a French Quarter Suite and I got room 2909, which is on the top floor (Starwood Preferred Guest Floor).

The suite was huge at about 1200 ft2. The king bedroom is a standard Deluxe room but the adjoining parlor was just incredily huge. The view was this floor was just flat out awesome. If view is important then look no further. The room was spotless and this suite has one full bath and one half bath. The half bath connects to the parlor.

We used a rollaway bed since this suite has no sofa bed and the mattress on the rollaway bed was nice pillotop mattress. We order room service breakfast twice and the breakfast was one of the best in New Orleans in my opinion. Never waited more than 15 minutes for breakfast.

The toilets in the bathroom are water savers so they flush slow. Water pressure is about average. The pool is on the roof and you have to climb up stairs to get there. The view on the roof was incredible.

This Westin hotel is now on the top of my New Orleans list and I would not hesitate to recommend to my friends and family.

This is a pet friendly hotel but we did not bring our small dog. Unlike the Loews, where dogs are restricted to one particular floor, you can have a dog in whatever room you want at the Westin.

Excellant stay here!

Room Tip: Choose river view or French Quarter view, you will not be disappointed!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tmde
There are newer reviews for The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Was there for medical conference. Hotel seems out of the way at first as it is not on a Main Street, but then you realize it is perfectly fit in between the convention center, casino, and French Quarter. Rooms were average for a Westin. Doorman was awesome at check-in and each time I was headed out. Rest of staff was so-so. Very small business center. Nice view of water from main lobby.

Room Tip: Facing water
1  Thank boog89
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were in New Orleans for a conference recently and stayed at the Westin Canal Place. If you want a nice quiet spot away from the chaos, but still within convenient walking distance to the sights of New Orleans, this is it! It is nestled right on the Mississippi (our room had a great view!) and sits above an upscale shopping mall (very very convenient!). The staff is helpful and friendly and the rooms in pretty good shape. It is what you would expect from a Westin, which is a good thing. The internet was a bit slow at times, but adequate for our needs. Most touristy areas and the convention center are a quick walk away, including the famous French Quarter and street cars. There are many great restaurants within walking distance (two amazing places: Restaurant August and Domenica). Taxis are easy to catch with the help of the great valet staff. Overall, we were very pleased with our decision to stay here and definitely would again.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for one facing the Mississippi. Ours had a great view of the river and the French...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Milly6020
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Second time staying at this Westin and like before the service was outstanding. A big shout out to Sherisa and Carla Simmons, who stood out. Upon check in we had a room on the 27th floor with a few of the river. The room was at the end of the hall which I had requested and I must say the maid service was one the best I have encountered. The doorman always opened the door. As far as the 2 elevator thing that was not a problem for me. Just use the Iberville elevators to avoid the people shopping in the mall. Will definitely stay here again. Very close to all the attractions and restaurants. More importantly always felt safe.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view, women especially likes that kind of thing
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jgoo1112
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Views of the Mississippi from my room on the 26th floor were fabulous, the room was clean, and the staff members were pleasant and helpful. Still, as a whole, this Westin is a litte old and a bit off. In-house dining choices are meager. The Internet is frustratingly slow and balky, requiring time consuming sign-up several times a day. Not good at all if you're on business. Hotel access, especially through the parking lot, is awkward, requiring two sets of elevators. But the hotel's location is excellent. A small luxury mall occupies the lower levels, and walking to the famed French Quarter or the convention center takes less than ten minutes. The casino, right across the street on Canal, has a surprisingly nice deli close to the entrance, so you don't have to breathe the smoky air for too long as you order. And that's my point about this low-end Westin. You need to go to the Casino to get a decent sandwich.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Triptaker365
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here for a conference in December. The hotel is located above a high end shopping mall so the lobby is on the 22nd floor. The lobby staff were pleasant and polite. The rooms are large and well maintained, mine looked pretty much like every other Westin I have stayed in and had a nice view of the river. The room had a nice desk area with lots of outlets.

The gym is open 24 hours and had newer treadmills and weight equipment.

I think the location is good for conferences as it was far enough away from the french quarter to be quiet, but still walking distance to Bourbon St. Also walking distance to Ernest Morial CC. It was nice having the mall downstairs, there is a Starbucks in there.

Overall I would stay here again for business travel. There were no drunks in the lobby, it was quiet and has a nice gym.

2  Thank jemmabeans
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband had to be in New Orleans recently on business with a large group, and I decided to tag along. There was a short delay during check-in and we were kindly up-graded from the deluxe king that was reserved and into another king room referred to as a "work-out" room ~ this was a great room. It was a corner room, slightly large than a deluxe king, and had two sets of large windows over-looking the river ~ a fabulous view! It ALSO had a treadmill, an exercise ball, and yoga equipment ~ I thoroughly enjoyed my morning walk each day from the comfort of my hotel room with a beautiful view. Thank you, Westin Canal Place, for helping me to return home without having gained any pounds, but enjoying all the delicious foods available in town. I'd like to add that all other aspects of our stay at the hotel were excellent ~ the lobby is attractive with great views, there is a restaurant and lounge on site, and the hotel is attached to Canal Place, a lovely multi-story shopping facility with food areas, as well as a large cinema! You don't have to leave the facility to have anything you need, but you will probably want to explore the French Quarter, Aquarium, or the museums located within walking distance.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have a river view ~ regular rooms look out over the downtown area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Greetings,

We are so excited to hear about your great visit to Westin New Orleans and our one of a kind city! If you departed from New Orleans without gaining a single pound, we are a bit concerned that we may not have sent you to the best restaurants in the world just outside of our doors! However, the Westin workout guest rooms are certainly the only way for one to attempt to accomplish this amazing feat.

At Westin New Orleans, we strive to provide the balance of nourishment with our Superfoods menu along with the unique local dishes that visitors want to indulge into their taste buds. Thanks for visiting and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Be Well,