“Continues downhill” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Key West, Florida
“Continues downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a place I've stayed literally 100s of times and it is the worst in the Westin chain. I know, I should switch hotels, but its in my office building. Arrived at 4:00 pm with tight schedule and room not ready. Asking why got me a case of attitude from front Desk clerk. No room service menu in room so I ordered a soup and it took 45 minutes to deliver. I know this is a corporate hotel, so can't you do better for a loyal business traveler?

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Rider123
Matthew M, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We certainly can do better for a loyal business traveler. Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We apologize that your room wasn’t ready and you felt that our Front Desk Agent had an attitude, and that your soup took 45 minutes to deliver. Your comments will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Once again, we appreciate your review.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

It is a good location for exploring the French quarter. Marriott and Sheraton nearby, those would be good too. Connected to the shops at canal place, starbucks near entrance to hotel, across the street from Harrahs, catch street car out the back of the hotel, building near river, follow the river walkway into French quarter.
The hotel itself needs a complete interior paint job and new furniture in the lobby. Although the lobby space is soaring and open, the furniture is shabby, torn, and dirty. Walking towards our room on the 22nd floor, the walls are scuffed and gouged. In the room, it is all painted white, again, scuffed, dirty paint, dirty grout between white tiles in bathroom, bulb out in bathroom mirror. The room was lifeless with no color. No 'wow' or even 'hey!' factor.
The beds were comfortable and the furniture was in good shape with a 32 in flat screen.
I would try another place next time.

Room Tip: Wouldn't worry about a room with a view, the view is of a muddy river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank relaxedocd
Thanks you for choosing the Westin New Orleans Canal Place on your recent visit to New Orleans. We’re happy to hear that you took advantage of our great location to explore the city and that you enjoyed our Heavenly Beds! To address your concerns, we will be updating several areas of our hotel over the next few months, including a complete refurnishing of the lobby. We hope to have the opportunity to “wow” you on your next visit to NOLA!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our 3rd trip to New Orleans. This is by far our favorite hotel. We have stayed on Bourbon Street & were unable to sleep well due to the noise. The Westin Canal Place is in a great location close to the casino, Cafe Du Monde, and only about 3 blocks from Bourbon. The lobby has a fantastic view of the river. Definitely looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for the nice review and in choosing the Westin New Orleans for your third trip to New Orleans! We're delighted that you had such a wonderful visit with us and enjoyed our great location and fantastic views. We look forward to welcoming you back on your fourth visit to the Big Easy!

Davie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Great Experience overall! Jesse checked us in and was extremely friendly, great customer service from the Welcome to the Good Bye. Our room was stunning, I was very pleased with the layout and our view. Unfortunately, the room didn't have a mini fridge, but that was my fault for not asking. Room was extremely clean, however, a few maintenance problems which were extremely minor but I am a hotel manager so I can be very picky. I wasn't very happy with how the bed looked when I arrived, again very particular. There wasn't a fitted sheet just a mattress pad, a flat sheet, another flat sheet and comforter. The bed skirt was a little crooked, but who cares. Bathroom, was larger then expected, products in the bathrooms were adorable and towels decor was very nice. Double shower head but was placed to far to the right and face down completely. Door holders and greeters every day, at night, we opened our own door but the were very efficient opening the door for us during the day. I felt like a celebrity. We arrived late, but thank goodness our shuttle driver told us check in was the 11th floor. The employee outside didn't say anything, we would have been walking around for days. We had to take an additional elevator to our floor, which I thought was odd and a bit of a pain. Come to find out the floors 1-10 were a parking garage attached to a large mall. Had no idea! Concierge was knowledgeable for the most part but lacked the energy to keep my attention. Housekeepers were friendly as well as the engineers. The only thing I didn't like was when you exited the entrance you faced a large parking lot, with a toll booth thing and a dirty building. Some shrubs hid about half of the parking lot but more is much needed. It's such a beautiful property but ugly adjacent parking lot. Some TLC is much needed across the street or at least in front of the entrance. Food in the hotel was a little pricey but kind of forecasted what was to be expected in the area. Location is quiet and very close to the House of Blues, reason for choosing it. Oh, one more thing, the pool is on the top floor, my only recommendation for that design disaster is Non slip pool deck tiles to replace the fake grass and to put some cushion on those beautiful wicker outside furniture with matching umbrellas. Pool was not heated and closed at 10pm, bummer!

Room Tip: If you're a couple, get a King bed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Check in was ok... Room size is good but the room is total waste of money. We got in our room the carpet was wet in an area we thought maybe the carpet was cleaned. Later that evening the carpet was still soaking wet. Maintenance came to our room looked at it and that is it. Who wants to walk arround on wet carpet?? Gross!! Management did nothing no apologizes. The sheets had a hole them. Not worth it. Wish we would of stayed somewhere else. Very disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank 2yanksnms
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My friend and I recently stayed at the Westin Canal Place. We arrived around 1PM and were able to check-in with no problem.

Service-
The staff at this hotel aren't the most outgoing and don't expect to get a smile or a "how are you" from the front desk and housekeeping staff. You can tell the hotel is short staffed or on a budget as there were no frills with the service. For the amount I paid, I would expect 4 diamond service - this was certainly not.

The room-
Now even though the service was not up to par. The room was outstanding very luxury. I had never stayed at a Westin before but the bed was outstanding!! The bath products smelt amazing !! The room was clean enough - smelt a little like air-freshener but overall very nice.

The pool-
Amazing 360 views but that's about it. Indoor/outdoor turf grass - with towels in a small closet wrapped in a trash bag. So don't expect much with the pool.

Location-
Very close to everything including Bourbon street. However, I did notice the Marriott Canal Place was even closer so check that too.

Restaurant-
Ate there for breakfast. A bit pricey but awesome service at the restaurant and good buffet.

I would be back for under a certain price. But the staff need to be more engaging and happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ryan C
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My friend and I spent 2 nights here while traveling from Texas to Virginia Beach. We had originally only planned to stay over one night, but enjoyed our stay so much that we stayed an extra night. We had originally had reservations for Renaissance, but mistakenly neglected to see if they were pet friendly (which they weren't) and we had a toy yorkie with us. As disappointing as it was to find that we had arrived in town and had to start a new room search right off, as it was late, we were happier when we got to the Westin. We loved that it was so convenient to all that we wanted to see and do. Being upstairs from great shopping was an added bonus. Even riding the elevator was a treat with the great views. The staff was awesome and the room and bathroom was so much nicer than the one that was at the Renaissance!! And the price was GREAT!! We went to priceline.com and did the "last minute" deals and typed in 4 star and to our surprise we got a room for under $100 taxes, fees and everything!! After one night we decided to stay again. I called the desk and they quoted me $134 without the taxes so I did the priceline thing again and was excited to get the same hotel, same room AGAIN. I will definitely stay at this hotel again on my next trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends