1,823 results
All reviewsfloor lobbygreen barheavenly bedgreat locationfrench quarterrooftop poola river view roomstarbucks coffeeharrah's casinobourbon streethotel lobbyparking garageself parkguest roomsconvention centershower headcafe du
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I decided to go on a long weekend getaway for our one year anniversary. Neither of us had ever been to New Orleans and always wanted to go. Initially, we were supposed to stay at the Hotel Monteleone (see my review of that hotel.) After that horrific 2 hours of dealing with the staff over there, we ended up at the Westin on Canal Street. It was 11 pm on a Thursday night and my husband and I were tapped out. When we walked up to the front desk, the staff was very friendly. We started to explain to the front desk clerk what went on at the Monteleone, and the manager on duty that night just happened to hear our conversation and jumped right in to get further details. After we explained everything, he asked us what we were paying each night over there, and he decided that he was going to honor that same price per night at his hotel. We were so shocked and so appreciative! After that, we said our thanks and headed up to our assigned room. When we got to it, the door was wide open with two huge drying fans blasting into it. We couldn’t believe it! Luckily, the bell man was with us and he called the manager. The manager was there to meet us within 3 minutes of the call. He brought us (2) 5 course meal vouchers for the restaurant inside the hotel as well as keys to a new room. The new room was on the club level facing the river. Spectacular view!

We ended up eating in the hotel restaurant on two different nights because the food was some of the best we had the entire time we were there.

My experience at this hotel has made me a major advocate for staying at Starwood properties wherever my travels take me.

Room Tip: top floor facing the river
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having stayed at Westin's before and always being very pleased I could not believe the condition and quality of this hotel. I was so ready to get to the Westin because I knew I would be satisfied and would be able to rest comfortably in the elegance I have come to know as The Westin, boy was I wrong! The room was bland and had no warmth to it, the walls were stained with scratches and marks, parts of the carpet were coming up from the walls, there were cracks in the base boards and one going up the wall. The bathroom had stains on its walls as well, the tile in the shower had mold in the crevices and the floors were sticky. SOOOO I asked to be moved to a different room d/t its condition, 1 floor up same thing. They really need to renovate or at least do some thorough cleaning in this hotel. On top of all this our room was not serviced at all. We left in the morning and came back around 4 to rest and get ready before dinner, I called the front desk and asked why our room had not been serviced and was told "they(housekeeping) were still in the building and we had not been forgotten, explained that we would be resting so send someone up maybe an hour later...no prob right? 10min later they are knocking on my door, asked them to come back in an hour, they said no prob, moral of the story the room was not cleaned. Asked for more towels to be brought up around 10pm when we got back along with a robe that was not provided in my room but requested the night before, never received. I will not be staying here again and would def advise against it. Complete disappointment!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I attended a political gathering that is held in a different city each year. Although unenthusiastic about going to New Orleans at the beginning of August (expecting steamy weather), I was pleasantly surprised at the reasonable weather. I really did not have to leave the Westin, however, and I was certainly impressed by the hotel and the staff. This is a Starwood property.
So often reviewers fail to include information on getting from the airport to a hotel in a major city, so I want to let readers know that there is an Airport Hotel Shuttle, for which rides can be arranged just prior to exiting the terminals at Louis Armstrong Airport (MSY). The cost is $38 round-trip, $20 one-way, with departures every 20 minutes. I was in a time-squeeze so I got in the taxi queue, knowing that the cost is set at $33 (1 or 2 passengers; $14 each for 3 or 4) one way. For people who are driving, be advised that the parking charges at this hotel are steep at $36 valet, $18 self, per strict 24 hours.
How I rated to be put in the French Suite, I have no clue, but I was wowed -- and grateful! There were 3 doors to this river view suite with 2 bathrooms, a living room and a bedroom! The Westin has their "Heavenly Bed," and it surely was comfortable! If you are willing to participate in their "green" program, you can opt out of the daily housekeeping (advance notice required) and earn either extra Starpoints or $5 towards the cost of dining in their restaurant, River 127, which is on the 11th floor and is open for breakfast and lunch. I ate breakfast here, although I ordered from the menu instead of selecting the buffet (set price), and had a wonderful view of the Mississippi River.
There is an outdoor rooftop pool, which I did not use. There is also an exercise facility, for which you can rent workout clothing if you left yours at home!
In-room Wi-Fi is available, but it does cost $12.95 per day. If you merely wish to print out an airline boarding pass, this is available 24/7 in the Business Center at no cost. I had a bit of difficulty with the printer, but a staff member who was even going off duty was happy to assist me. The front desk staff and the server staff were very friendly and eager to be helpful.
I would certainly be amenable to staying here again! It is true that one has to go outside the hotel for dinner, but New Orleans is noted for its food, and the hotel is located close to the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Mississippi River.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank muffinladysouthernCA
Matthew M, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for the great review and in visiting us at the Westin New Orleans! We're delighted that you had such a great visit with us and enjoyed your conference. Our staff takes pride in delivering friendly and personal service to our guests, so we'll be sure to share your compliments. We actually do offer free WiFi in all of our guestrooms. If you desire a connection with a higher bandwith, we do have tiered pricing options. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again on your next trip to New Orleans!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The location is great and the property is quite nice - but it seemed that they were cutting corners and not meeting the level of service I would expect in a Westin. We spent five nights in the hotel and I had booked two rooms. On at least two of those nights the rooms were not made up. (thats two of four - since I don't know nor care what they do the last day after I check out) This was despite our being out for most of the day giving them ample opportunity. The staff was also present on our floor so I'm not certain why we didn't receive service in either of the rooms those nights. On the nights the room was made up - once we did not receive replacement coffee - so my wife left a note asking for coffee and additional cream the next day. We had only used regular, but they replaced it all with decaf. It felt almost like it was done on purpose. My wife eventually complained to the hotel front desk and they indicated they would comp some additional Starwood Points which was very nice of them - but in all honesty, I can't recommend this property and would avoid it in the future if staying more than one night. I'm rating them as poor based on the lack of normal room cleaning - the facility itself is quite nice - so for one night I think it would be fine - even good, but for multiple nights not so much. The common spaces are fine - so my rating of poor on cleanliness doesn't mean the whole hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Matthew M, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for visiting us at Westin New Orleans. While we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and overall property, we apologize for the issues you encountered with our Housekeeping Staff. Your comments will assist us in improving our Housekeeping Services for future guests. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We did a "Girls Trip" into New orleans for the weekend! The drive from Houston was nice, didnt see a cop on the road!!!! upon arrival I called to ensure my reservations were met! I spoke with Mr. Jermaine Martin. He was nice and well informed of my stay and expectations. Upon arrival on Saturday I was greeted with the utmost professinal service just from a previous conversation! Hospitality goes a long way!!!! A smile goes a long way!!! Thoughfulness goes a long way!!! I would stay again and again to have that personal touch that I recieved via telephone and upon arrival and departure!!!!

Room Tip: Always call ahead to book directly with th ehotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing the Westin New Orleans for your “Girls Trip” and for taking the time to let us know about your experience! Our staff gets extreme satisfaction from nice comments such as yours which makes it all the more rewarding to do whatever we can to make guests feel at home while visiting our property. We’ll be sure to share your comments with our staff, and with Jermaine in particular. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back!