“I think there are better choices out there for your money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #70 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Pflugerville, Texas
“I think there are better choices out there for your money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our stay here was for 2 nights and while it wasn't awful, I think there were better options available. Let me list the pros and cons:

Pro's: The lobby is beautiful, the location is nice for families since it is closer to Jackson Square than Bourbon Street. The aquarium is close by and you can easily cross the street and go to Harrah's if you aren't traveling with little kids. You can also get one of the better deals for parking than at other Canal area hotels. The valet parking is about the same price as everywhere else, but you can self park and possibly save money if you won't need your car several times a day. With valet, you'll get in and out privileges and if you self-park you will not. Also bear in mind that the validation from the hotel only helps if you leave after 12-24 hours. For shorter time frames, you would need to get your ticket validated at one of the stores or locations in the mall.

For example, on our second day we took our car out of the garage to drive to our lunch location and we paid $18 for the night with our validation from the hotel. When we returned we got a new ticket. I needed some Clinique lotion anyway so I bought one from Saks and got my ticket validated. In this way when we left for dinner 5 hours later I only paid $9 for 5 hours of parking instead of the $18 rate (remember the hotel validation wouldn't discount this rate). When we returned we got our ticket validated again by the hotel so when we left the next morning we only had to pay $18. That means that while we didn't have unlimited in and out privileges, we still only spent $27 for one day/night of parking ($18 plus $9) as opposed to the valet rate of $36 plus tax (and tips that would have had to be given).

If you do self-park, bear in mind that you need to park at the elevator that connects to the hotel and not just the shops. There is an elevator that is more situated in the corner and that one only connects to the mall and you'll have to walk across the mall to get to the other elevator. The lobby is on the 11th floor. The best elevator is the one that faces to the water and it is about half way between the corners. If it looks too full on the floors that you access when you come off of the spiral, then go down a few floors since it drops you closer to the top and those get filled more quickly. We found that the parking spaces tended to be more full during the business hours of the mall and then after 6 or so it empties out pretty quickly and it is easy to get a parking place on one of the floors close to the right elevator. You'll know the elevator is the right one if it has a button that goes to the eleventh floor (the other one only goes to 9). Once you go up this elevator, you'll still have to walk across the lobby to get to the ones that go to the rooms but it is relatively close by.To get to the check in desk, just walk straight ahead when you get off the elevators and after you pass the bar you'll see the check in desks around the corner on the left.

As a tip, for a nice and inexpensive breakfast there is a food court area on level 3 of the mall and you can get a breakfast croissant filled with eggs, meat, and cheese for about $3.50. There is also a little store that sells bottled cokes for under $2 (the hotel has them in their own store for around $3).

Cons: The hotel gives complimentary internet but it is *very* slow. You can pay $10 to upgrade to 2 mb (expires at noon everyday) or $13 for 5 mb that lasts for 24 hours. However, if you pay it is per device and since our family travels with many different electronics, this isn't always feasible (we usually have 2 computers, an I-Pad, Kindle, and a Sony Vita).

Not sure if we had a fluke, but it took until 7:30 at night to have our room cleaned on our second day. And this was after we had spoken to the maid service in the afternoon to make sure we weren't missed, and called the front desk three times from 6pm on after we realized we were still skipped. On the third call, I seemed to reach someone who cared and she quickly got us taken care of. The first girl acted like I was stupid and wouldn't have realized if I had put a "do not disturb" tag on the door (I didn't) or put something on the bed saying we wanted to go "green" and not have our room cleaned (I didn't). On the second call, I offered to change rooms if it would be easier than trying to have a cleaning crew come so late, but I was told the hotel was "completely booked". I have to say that I kind of doubt this since the parking garage was almost a ghost town when we checked out at 6am the next morning. I can't believe that they would be that full and not have at least a few more cars.

Lastly, I would note that the room wasn't really that comfortable (besides the bed which was very comfortable). This was our last stay at the end of a 2 week long 4600 mile road trip and most of our other rooms at other hotels had mini fridges and sometimes microwaves (and better free wi-fi). This room had neither though there was a space that looked like it could accommodate a mini-fridge so maybe they are available at an extra charge. There was also no other chair other than the one at the desk. Usually there is at least one other sitting chair but there was no place to sit other than the beds. I should mention that we booked the room through Hotwire so I think I got such a good rate because they were doing maintenance on one of the four elevators and the guys were on our floor only a couple rooms away so we could here the banging off and on in the morning and afternoon. It is possible that we might have had a room that was not renovated yet. I would at least recommend that you ask the hotel if the room you are booking has more than the desk chair since maybe they have realized that a place to sit down when there is more than one person in the room is a nice amenity.

When we return to New Orleans we'll probably arrange to stay somewhere else. We've previously stayed at the Sheraton (also on Canal) and had a much better experience (I wrote a review on that a year ago). I guess I was just expecting a better experience since this was a Westin. We travel pretty frequently and I've stayed in many hotels and this is the first time my room wasn't cleaned automatically without me having to call the front desk repeatedly.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank shoulders3
Matthew M, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We’re happy to hear that you appreciated our great location and that our Staff took care of you during your visit. We apologize that you were disappointed in our guest rooms and that you experienced issues with our housekeeping service and elevator construction noise. Your comments will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Thank you again for your review.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Pros - Great location near French Quarter, river, restaurants, and attractions. Great view of river and city. Courteous and helpful staff. Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, and great showers (double shower heads). On-site parking. Starbucks, theater, and other stores in building.

Con - Elevator situation is awful. Hotel is on floors 11 - 29. Two sets bring you up from ground floor, but only one set takes you up to rooms. At peak times, you are trapped on your floor because the elevators are too few and packed. We were on the 18th floor, and had to take the elevators up (and stop at every floor) to make our way down on Saturday evening. On Sunday morning (peak check out time), we had to walk down seven flights of stairs with our luggage to get to the front desk. Others in our party used the service elevator and traveled through kitchen areas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LSUGoose
Thank you for visiting us at Westin New Orleans recently. We're delighted that you had a great visit and appreciate the nice feedback! Our location certainly does put you in close proximity to many of the attractions New Orleans has to offer, and it’s wonderful to hear that our staff welcomed you and took care of you during your stay. We apologize for the elevator delays you experienced during your stay. We are currently working on our system to correct that issue. We appreciate your review and hope to welcome you back soon!

Gulfport, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

From check in with Sonya to our check out, we have nothing but good things to say about The Westin. We arrived early and was able to check in to our room.. Room was nice, bathroom had cool lighting.Had a great view..The complimentary champagne and strawberries were so thoughtful!!! All the staff were friendly. We will stay here again for sure!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DShavers_13
We're delighted that you had a great visit and appreciate the nice feedback! It’s wonderful to hear that our staff welcomed you and took care of you during your stay, and we'll be sure to pass along your compliments to Sonya. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I really don't have much to say...
The beds are really comfortable, hotel staff was very helpful, the views are great, the location was prime; and the list goes on.
The worst thing about staying here was having to leave.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're sorry you had to leave too! Thank you for visiting us at Westin New Orleans recently and for taking the time to provide the nice feedback! Our location certainly does put you in close proximity to many of the attractions New Orleans has to offer, and it’s wonderful to hear that our staff welcomed you and took care of you during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was the first time staying he for me and my family...4 of us...From the moment we checked in til we checked out was flawless.The staff is very professional, friendly, and there to help you 24/7. We rented a 2dbl bed room and the beds were so comfortable. The shower has a dual shower head. We were on the 27th floor and the view of the city was Amazing!!! If you get the chance, check out the rooftop pool on the 29th floor. INCREDIBLE 360* degrees of the city and French Quarter. We stayed 7/9/13-7/10/13

Room Tip: You can valet park or self park in a covered parking garage for less money. The garage is attached t...
2 Thank Christie D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just the views of the city from this hotel alone makes this hotel one of the best I've ever stayed at. The rooms are very large and the beds are super comfortable. Staff is super friendly. The rooftop pool is definitely one of the greatest things about this hotel. It's spectacular to be swimming and getting a view of the whole city and river at the same time. Another great thing about this hotel is that it's in the best location. It's close enough to everything where you can walk. Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone. Can't wait to stay again!

1 Thank faithdorsa
Thank you for visiting us at Westin New Orleans and for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We're delighted that you had such a great visit with us and enjoyed your time at our rooftop pool so much. Our staff takes pride in delivering friendly and personal service to our guests, so we'll be sure to share your compliments. We hope to see you again on your next trip to New Orleans!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Westin only for one night, 7.7.13 while we were in town for a concert. The staff was BEYOND helpful and nice. I love the views. If you think the view from the parking garage is amazing, then try staying on the 27th floor. We had a city view and it was spectacular. I also really enjoyed the roof top pool. Such a great feature. It was so nice to have views of every part of the city. Really beautiful. The elevators are really fast. I know that's not a make or break about staying at a hotel, but just thought I'd add it. Considering I don't like elevators, they aren't bad. I also did not want to get out of bed the next morning because they are SO comfortable!! The lobby is very modern and up to date. t's beautiful and the staircase in the corner is beautiful, as well. The Westin did a really great job of making me feel like a super star as soon as I walked in! You can also get food delivered here as well. Best location. Not too far from anything. If it is, the trolleys are right beneath you on Canal St.
Thank you Westin for also giving us an extended check out time! We appreciated your kindness and thank you for the stay! When I come back to New Orleans, you'll definitely be my number one place to check!! I can't say hot much I love this hotel!

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view. Always ask for a higher room. Well worth the elevator ride...
1 Thank LaurenNicole98