WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
Ranked #69 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Great Location - Cheapest Parking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Canal Place over the 4th of July holiday and really enjoyed our time there. Awesome location and very nice hotel. Great views of the Mississippi River and comfortable clean rooms. Would highly recommend staying at a hotel like the Westin that is close to the river as opposed to deep in the quarter. Parking is so much easier and was only $18 (validated/self-parking) compared to upwards of $40 at many other hotels. Just be sure to use the parking “garage” connected to the hotel. Stay away from any street level lot around that area. Hotel is right across from Harrah’s Casino so you have that if you like it. Aquarium of the Americas is across the street also. 4 blocks from Bourbon Street with an easy walk down Iberville. Jackson Square only four blocks away – easily accessible by walking along N. Peters St., the River Walk or Street Cars. Definitely would pick this hotel again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Evansville, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Offers top-notch, modern, clean rooms with bed linens by Westin that are heavenly.

We were originally assigned a 14th floor room without a view, but when we said something to the front desk they immediately switched us. Kudos for excellent service!

Parking is $18/day with validation. Be sure not to park in the lot across the street (on the canal side). They won't even let you turn around in the lot, and will charge $6 just for entering. No grace period. Learned this the hard way, but I used that hour to check in, unload my bags, etc. So it turned out okay.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room above the 14th floor. If you are on the 14th floor facing downtown (towards th...
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start with the fact that I have never taken the time to write a
review of anything online. My husband and I stayed here during July 4th weekend. I have nothing but great things to say about the front desk and bellman, they were amazing. The beds were super comfy and I adored the shower head.

My issue was first with the lack of eating options in a hotel itself. I expected a hotel of this caliber to have options for all meals. My second was the pool area with rotting wood rails and stained chaise cushions . I had planned an afternoon of poolside lounging but was turned off by the lackluster and dingy options. The third and final issue was with the housekeeping. We were at the hotel for 4 nights. Durning this time out sheets were never changed, and that is despite BBQ sauce on a pillowcase, our towels were sparingly replaced, and the bathroom was only wiped down not actually cleaned. The room was very clean upon check-in but as the days went by our bed was remade, hair was swept up, and the room
was possibly vacuumed at most.The soap buildup in the corner of the shower was noticeable day 2 and even more evident our last day. My husband and I aren't complainers but were annoyed at the thought of having to tell someone the bathrooms weren't cleaned so instead of calling to complain and excuses I cleaned it myself. Seems silly but we are of the mind laziness is a top down learned behavior.

We loved the location and the view of river was wonderful. We are planning another trip next year just not planning to stay there and discouraging our agent from using them also.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kaydxn33
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during the extremely busy July 4th weekend. Considering the volume of tourists in New Orleans at this time, I thought the hotel staff handled the volume well. As far as the location, it is what it is. All sides do not have the picturesque views of the river and the city, but we are talking about New Orleans. Yes, it was a little odd to register on the 11th floor, but there is a mall (with great shopping, I might add) and a parking deck below. I don't think drivers would want to park any higher than 10 floors!

I was more concerned about renovations after Hurricane Katrina. Fortunately, I did not smell any mold or musty odors. Yes, there was a small area of chipped paint above the shower, but not to the point where I was concerned about showering. The toilets flush very slow, but they do flush which is key for me. The beds looked very clean and I felt comfortable sleeping on them. I am not comfortable with the "green policy" when your stay is more than 3 nights but when we asked for fresh towels, they were quickly provided.

Overall, I liked the hotel. I felt safe and it was close to everything that I wanted to do. This Westin is the hotel for me and for the right price, I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hotel is in a great location, literally inside the mall. The Casino is across the street and the river right in front of you. Since the Hotel is shared by the mall and offices you have to take elevators to get to the main lobby and the guest rooms (no biggie). The rooms are very comfy and big. We stayed in a Riverfront Room and the view was great. We can see the River Boats floating at different times during the day. Room Service was really quick, staff friendly and the rooms were very clean. Clean is important in New Orleans. New Orleans already has a smell, so after a long day you want to come back to a clean room.

Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

A nice hotel, very close to lots of restaurants, shopping, and attractions! The staff was friendly and made sure that we had a room with a king (although we had to wait one day!) The view was great; parking was a bit of a pain ($18/day is steep.) The view from our room was great...we had a nice view of the Mississippi. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, and noise level was fairly low. I'd have no problem bringing my family back to stay next time! We walked up to the pool on the roof, but every time we went up, it was packed. Also, the restaurants were full, but we didn't try them...

Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

There were a few problems with our reservations but they made good on them for the most part. However they sent our adult kids to the W for two nights and it was very unsatisfactory. The Westin did a good job in making up for the errors and we had a great stay at their hotel. Wonderful view and a a good location for walking around the town.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservations a few days prior and print out your confirmations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family