“Very Good”

Ranked #80 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
San Francisco, California
“Very Good”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed on the 15th floor with a quasi city/peekaboo river view. The view was mostly of the Canal Place roof, so I'd recommend staying on a higher floor or request a river view. The room and bathroom were quite large. There was a small foyer that had a coffee maker with free coffee. I thought the room and bath were beautiful and well appointed. There were a couple of problems: the room wasn't cleaned after a day out then we had to leave the room or watch the maids clean; towels were in short supply and took an hour to receive them after we called; our refreshment center was empty and locked. The front desk said these would be addressed promptly, but they weren't. There were a couple stains on floor and a cigarette burn as well, but with all high volume hotels so close to the Quarter it should be expected. The beds were luxurious and the shower had dual heads. I would stay here again, but I would request a higher floor. I would make sure all items in room are well stocked before unpacking. It was a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us and we are glad that you enjoyed your time in our unique city! Additionally, we truly appreciate the constructive criticism of some of the issues which occurred during your visit and I can assure you that we will use this feedback to drive further improvement with your specific examples in mind. We hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans in order to see these improvements first hand.

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The view from the lobby is breathtaking! To your left, beautiful French Quarter. To your right, the mighty Mississippi river. Location, location! On corner of Canal St and Iberville. Half a block from the Riverwalk. Next to the Harrah's casino on the Canal St side. Step out and the historic trolley is waiting. Attentive staff. Pool on roof deck. Within walking distance to everything!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Thanks for your comments and we are happy to hear about your uplifting visit with us! Our location really couldn't be any better considering our view and proximity to all of the New Orleans hot spots that you explained. Thanks again for staying with us, as we are already looking forward to your next visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just completed a nice stay at the Westin Canal Place. Check in was smooth and the room was exactly what you would expect from a hotel of this calibre. The room had a bit of a menthol type smell to it from the cleaning products they used. They did let us check in at 12:30pm which was a bonus. The room was spacious enough for our family's needs. One minor downer was the fact that the exterior windows had not been cleaned in what appeared to be ages.

The staff were courteous and attentive at all times with us. No complaints there!

There are 3 sets of elevators. One from street level to the lobby, one from the lobby to the rooms, and one from the lobby to the parking garage. It can be confusing and mildly annoying. In the garage, make sure you park near the bank of 3 elevators as those are the ones that go to the hotel directly, otherwise you'll be walking through the mall.

The pool is on the roof and the views are amazing. It is <b>not</b> heated. There's a fair amount of seating up there and it has turf floors, which are a nice touch in the heat or with wet feet.

The location is very good, easy walking distance to jackson square, bourbon st., and the rest of the french quarter. The trolley system is also right there, as is the casino if that's your thing.

Room Tip: There is the "river" view on one side of the building and the "city" view on the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello and thanks for the nice comments on our location and excellent service! We'll certainly commend our staff for helping to deliver a great experience for you during your visit.

While having an 11th floor lobby is certainly unique compared to the typical street level lobby of our competitors, the benefits many of our guests enjoy include the ability to sip on an award winning cocktail from our Green Bar while watching the hustle and bustle of the majestic Mississippi River with our floor to ceiling lobby windows, as well as the added personal comfort and security of being 11 floors above whatever festival or activity is occurring outside.

Thanks again for sharing your remarks and we truly hope to welcome you back again soon!

Garwood,NJ
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our favorite was always Hilton, but after staying in Westin NO we had a change of heart.
Everything about it is top class: the location, the room, the bed, the view ( we had a city view),
and the people. The pool looked gorgeous too! Really could not be more happier with the hotel choice!! Dont get me wrong, we had our issues , like the weather all four days was between 57 and 61 degrees, but this had nothing to do with the hotel!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thanks for the great note and it's too bad that we had the rare cold spell so late in the year. However, as we are now your hotel of choice in New Orleans, we'll be sure to see you again which will surely be much warmer. We're looking forward to welcoming you back!

Austin
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I am actually writing this while in the lobby, which has a great view but the furniture here is pretty tattered, torn and stained. This place is in severe need of updating. Carpets throughout are worn and stained, rooms need updating, floor tile in room and bathroom really needs grout cleaned. Halls are marked and wood trim beat up badly.

The management view of cutomer service is as bad. Starwood Preferred mad a mistake in my reservation. When I called Starwood and the hotelmistself they daid the deadline for making changes had passed. I told them I wsn't making a change but fixing a booking error. Neither Starwood nor the hotel would make the change. When I arrived the person at the desk told me that they were having booking errors. Then WHY wouldn't they correct them when a customer pointed it out? Crazy. Fortunately the room I booked but was available instead of the worng room the system inserted.

I am sitting in the lobby because they are cleaning the room. It's 5:30 pm and they are just now cleaning the room? I called the desk to aks why it wasn't cleaned earlier, and was told they clean rooms up until 6:00pm. That's crazy and likely due to cut cost to run fewer cleaning crews, but run them longer in the day. So make sure you ask when your room will be cleaned; I am sure it is based on the floor you are on. After asking to speak to the manager I was told he/she wan't available, which is the same answer I got regaridng the booking error.

In short, this hotel doesn't particularly care about customer service, and is obviously cutting serious dollars and letting the hotel fall into disprepair. There are better choices choices in NOLA, even in the Starwood network. I'll stay in the W in the quarter next time.

Room Tip: Ask when they clean the rooms, it could be 5:30 in the evening.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us and for the feedback on your recent visit. We are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience, but will use your feedback to pinpoint areas that we can improve as we obviously missed the mark on your visit.

I'm not really certain what the exact issue was with your reservation based on your description, but I hope that we resolved this for you. In terms of the later service than expected of your room, I'm guessing that this occurred on a Saturday or Sunday when our housekeeping team starts an hour later in the day due to the typical later rising guests on weekends. Having worked in several hotels in New Orleans and in different areas of the country, I can assure you that our housekeeping team starts and finishes at a similar time and is given the same work load as others. However, it is true that on weekends a majority of our housekeeping team finishes at 6pm, as opposed to 5pm on weekdays. We’re truly sorry for this inconvenience and will examine this further to see how we can improve.

In terms of the lobby furniture, we are excited to welcome you back to see our new look in the coming months which will further enhance our floor to ceiling views of the majestic Mississippi River and French Quarter. Thanks again for your feedback which we will use to improve prior to your next visit, as we would welcome a second chance.

Los Angeles
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Is this the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in? No. Is it the nicest Westin I've ever stayed in? No. Are the people working there the best hotel employees ever? You bet they are! I can't rave enough. I don't even think I have the requisite vocabulary to express how much I love the staff. From my group sales person to the valet and bellman I just love them all.
Due to being with a group and being the person who was raised that if you're on time you're late, I spent quite a bit of time waiting in valet for the rest of my team to show up. I can't tell you what a good time I had chatting with the valet/bellman. I now have almost every insider favorite spot for food, drink, people watching, and shopping for NOLA and the 20 some odd miles around it. Plus as a photographer they tipped me off to amazing places to go and shoot that I know I would have never found on my own. I'm only sad I was there for work and not to play as I would have been able to utilize their recommendations a bit more.
Even on my last day while I was waiting for almost 30 mins for the team to get their butts downstairs the valet team was still giving me nuggets of golden info. Plus just sitting and chatting with them was lovely.
I literally just left there 7 hours ago, and I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments about our team! I can assure you that our associates will be grateful to read about how their efforts in delivering personalized guest service pays off. Our door and valet team are already the best in New Orleans, but when we get a chance to read comments such as yours, it's impossible to not feel energized as we strive to provide memorable experiences for our guests. I understand that you wish you could have stayed longer, so we're ready for you to get back down here to do it all over again! We hope to see you soon...

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is the perfect place to stay while visiting New Orleans. You are walking distance to everything. If you want to venture far, you are right next to all sorts of public transportation including the street car lines. You do not need to rent a car if you stay here. You are far enough away from the action of Bourbon Street so you can actually get a good nights sleep if you desire. The doorman are fantastic and made us feel welcome as did the entire staff. The view from our room was unbelievable! We could see the entire French Quarter and the Mississippi river too. We enjoyed watching the steamboats, cruise ships and other boats from the comfort of our hotel room.

Room Tip: Pay the small upgrade fee for the view of the river... totally worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FromTampaFlorida
Wow! We're delighted to hear about your great experience and will certainly share this with our team to show the impact that they can make. As great as your recent stay with us may have been, we are confident that we can make your next one even better due to the hard work we our doing on a daily basis. We can't wait to prove it to you on your next visit!