WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #69 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Austin, Texas
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was the first time we stayed at the Westin in New Orleans. We won't stay there again.
First the good things....... strangely enough, the parking garage. You can get really good views of the river from the 9th floor of the parking garage without even staying at the hotel. The roof of the hotel offers very nice views as well. The concierge (I think her last name was Webee) was very helpful and knowledgeable with suggestions. The lobby of the Westin is also very nice with huge windows for viewing the river.
Now the problems……… absolutely nothing for free. I am surprised they don’t charge to use the elevator. With as much as they charge for the rooms, they can’t afford free Wi-Fi????? Come on people, you can get free Wi-Fi in any Starbucks without even buying anything. This is ridiculous to force people to the lobby to get Wi-Fi. Not even a donut for free for breakfast??? Again, they are making plenty of money and could offer something for breakfast. This is just cheap on their part. I stayed at another place on the way home for about 1/3 the cost and had a massive breakfast for free as well as Wi-Fi in the room.
The room was fine but nothing special. The toilet backed up for no reason on our part. That was not good.
Overall, I should have went with tripadvisor reviews and stayed at the quality inn. I think we would have been much happier.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond about your stay. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience and will work to make improvements based on the valuable feedback you have provided. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your visit with us further.

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay. Both visits have been for business but I took my family along. The staff is amazing. We had drinks one night at the bar. The drinks were good, albeit pricey, and the staff was attentive and pleasant. Our king room was large and the white tea bathroom amenities smell wonderful. The Westin is a beautiful hotel but expect to pay all the extras. No fridge no microwave and no vending machines. You have to walk through the main lobby to get to the tiny "store" to get a $3 sprite. If you are expecting that then you'll enjoy everything else at the Westin.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We were thrilled that you chose to stay with us again at Westin New Orleans Canal Place and appreciate your loyalty! Our Green Bar has an ever growing reputation for its delicious cocktails, so we’re glad to see the momentum continue. We’ve shared your comments with our team and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently I stayed at Westin Canal place. I arrived day before the fat Tuesday. The hotel is located centrally yet away from all the noise and mess that is after the parade. The waterfront is right there and there were activities and music during the night. I felt safe walking to and from the hotel to bourbon street which is very close by.
The staff is as always very helpful and I love the smell of the hotel and room as you walk in. I had a really good river view and it was an enjoyable stay.
I would recommend this hotel highly

Room Tip: If you are SPG member, ask for upgrade. Even if you are not SPG member, doesn't hurt to ask as s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello and thank you for providing us with feedback from your visit over Mardi Gras! We're so happy that you had a great time and appreciate the nice comments about our staff. The refreshing smell you mentioned in the hotel and in your room is the WESTIN signature white tea scent which can be purchased on our website. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I never use travelocity and the site like this but I did for this trip for business and I was plesantly surprised. I got a 4 star property for 100 bucks and didnt know the name until I paid for it which was this westin property. Im glad it came up and I will stay here again. it was clean nice and the pool on the top of the building (about the 25th floor I think) was very cool and provided a great view of the city and the mighty Mississippi. I will be here again for sure! great workout center too!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Texansfan2013
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond and we're glad you stayed with us as well! You were one of our first guests to experience our newly completed WESTIN Workout facility which gives our guests the perfect guilt free excuse to get out and enjoy the numerous world class dining options just outside our front door.

We can't wait to see you again, so please come back soon!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I chanced upon a really good rate for the Westin during our visit March 1st. I specifically wanted a hotel located at the French Quarters. This is as Good as it gets. Location was perfect....great walking distance to the heart of the action. Starbuck a few steps away and lots of shops along your walk to Jackson Square.
We chose the valet parking option since it is very convenient. We had the "in and out" option till 8PM of the next day. It worked for us since we did drive out for dinner.
Room was spotless, beds were comfy as ever and check-in and check-out was a breeze. Will definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelPrincess
Thanks for sharing the highlights of your Westin New Orleans visit! We're glad to hear that you noticed our prime location, guest service, and cleanliness. We've shared your positive words of encouragement with our team and they are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I am a Westin die hard. From New York to Seattle, from Chicago to Texas.... I have stayed at many Westins. I booked the New Orleans Westin many months before a recent convention. A month before my stay, I was notified that they had overbooked and that I was being moved to an airport La Quinta (miles from the conference) or some other unkinown location. After multiple calls to the hotel and Starwood, no one could fix the situation. With the late notice, there were then absolutely no other rooms available in New Orleans (not even one). So, I had to cancel the trip. What did I get for my trouble? 2000 Starwood Points. Makes me question my loyalty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to respond! I'm so sorry that you were unable to get a reservation or experienced challenges with confirming or obtaining a reservation.

Please contact me at Westin New Orleans Canal Place at your convenience to discuss this further.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Westin new Orleans Canal place is the hotel you want to lodge in when ever you find yourself in ''WO DAT CITY'' The hotel is located in a prime area, with easy access to where ever you want to go. There is a classy mall and movie house located in the Hotel. If you are the type that like to gamble, there is Harrah's Casino adjacent to the Hotel on the Canal street side.
Furthermore, the staffs are very professional and helpful. The hotel is really neat and classy. You can get a good view of the Missipi river from the 11th floor. The house keeping ladies are very good at what they do. You will get more than you paid for when stay at Westin. Please please!! do not go to Holiday Inn on Royal street bad choice, i had a bad experience there on my 1st visit to New Orleans. But people, i am glad i stayed at the Westin this time around. WESTIN D PLACE!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank segun o
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We are thrilled to be recognized with such great comments regarding your recent visit with us! We feel that our staff is the best in the city, as they really strives to provide personal service to each guest which allows us to stand out from our competitors. We'll be share to give well deserved kudos to the team!

French Quarter Fest, Jazz Fest, and our typically wonderful spring weather are right around the corner, so stop by and say hello again soon. We are looking forward to making your next visit even better than the last!