All reviewsruby slipperhigh ceilingsfront deskgreat locationfrench quarterfour posterwindowless roomwithout windowsfoot ceilingscanal streetvalet parkingolder hotelwithin walking distancecomfortable bedswould stay here againbeautiful roomwalked everywhere
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Great location! Old building. THIS PLACE NEEDS TO BE REMODELED ASAP!!!!! Our room was on the 4th floor. We took the elevator up and when we stopped at the 4th floor the elevator dropped (this is every time your on the left elevator). I felt like I was on the tower of terror in Disney! The hall smelled like mold. When we entered the room we looked around and we noticed it was missing a window. VERY strange! The room was very small and tight! The walls were cracked and in the bathroom the wallpaper was peeling and there was water damage. The bed was SO uncomfortable and the sheets were paper thin. The one bed had 4 pillows while the other had 3. Shower SUCKED! The shower head was so small it was horrible! The water pressure is the worst I have ever seen in a hotel! Turning on the shower was so confusing too! On the 3rd day one of us was taking a shower and the water just stopped! We called down to the front desk and they said they city was working on the water system and wouldn't be back up until 7pm (mind you it was 3pm) There was one trashcan and that was in the bathroom only. TV was Small and half the channels were not working. No pen and paper in the room either! I went to go get ice (which is on the 1st floor) and as I enter I can barely open the door because there are new windows wrapped in plastic and mattresses and bikes in the vending area! Some of the staff at the front desk were nice and some weren't Thomas (I think that was the guys name) was very helpful! We asked him what he thinks is the best food and the best places to go! He said if we need anything to ask him since he lived in New Orleans his whole life! The girl on the other hand was clueless and when I asked he a question she replied with "Um I 'm not sure, and I don't know really where anything is! How do you work in a hotel and not know anything about the city? Overall I wouldn't stay here ever again! They have a lot of issues to fix in this place!

Room Tip: Free wifi no window in 4th floor room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kevin G
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Having recently stayed at the Pelham Hotel I can only say what a pleasureable experience it was.
The reception staff were friendly, extremely helpful and very knowledgeable about local tours and even booked one for us. The bedroom was very well furnished with antique furniture, a modern bathroom and king size bed. The hotel was approximately 10 minutes walk from everything we came to New Orleans to see. Will definately be staying again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine W
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Hotel is in a great location. Directions on site were perfect. Just minutes to Harrahs and a short 5 min walk to the Riverwalk shops. 10 walk to French Quarter. There is alot ot do around the hotel. Less than 5 min drive to Port of New Orleans. Rooms were big and spacious. Only issue I had was at check in and parking. Drove 9 hrs and had requested an early check in, but was not ava. Came back several times over the next 4 hrs and saw people getting rooms, but was told there were still none ava. Valet parking was reasonable, but it was off site. Had to give a 30 min notice for them to bring me my veh. Other than that was a great deal. Will stay here again next time I cruise.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Nice clean hotel, great friendly service, walking distance to Harrahs Casino, Convention Center and French Quarter.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Thanks to all the reviews, we were ready for what we found at The Pelham. It was a busy time in New Orleans, and the higher rated hotels were already booked. Value and location were what led us here, and we were pleased with both. But a good value meant we gave up some amenities.

Our 4th floor room was European size overlooking Magazine St. The windows did a fair job of soundproofing, and my trusty earplugs finished the job. The AC worked perfectly as did everything in the room. Bed and bath linens were adequate and other than normal wear and tear, the room was clean and comfortable. Bring your favorite toiletries, because The Pelham's minimal selection is on the level of Motel 6.

My sister booked a single for a ridiculously low rate and wanting to avoid the ground floor, requested an upper floor room. She settled for a shower without a shower cap as there was no tub. Having no windows and being next to the elevator made for a restless night, but given the rate she didn't complain. The free coffee in the lobby made up for the lack of bath amenities.

The parking saga is real. We opted out of the $30 valet service and spent plenty of time dealing with the intimidating pay lot across the street. The very helpful front desk staff cautioned us about obeying every rule in the pay lot, and we did. That was easy given three eyewitness bootings of those parkers who didn't take heed. The "No In & Out" rule is strictly enforced with chalk marks on your tire. Overnight parking is $15 weekdays and $10 weekends, credit cards accepted. There are four free parking spaces on Common St. across from the hotel, if you feel lucky!

The Ruby Slipper restaurant and bar on the corner was busy, and folks seemed to enjoy the convenience and prices. But this is New Orleans, y'all! Hit the Quarter, and discover what makes the Crescent City a great visit. For breakfast we recommend Croissant d'Or Patisserie - 617 Ursulines Ave.. For lunch go with the muffuletta at Central Grocery - 923 Decatur St., then relax in the courtyard at The Gumbo Shop - 630 St. Peter St. for dinner. Each is a good value and an even better experience.

Room Tip: Refuse any room on the ground floor, and request an outside room on Common St.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple