WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #59 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Western Springs, Illinois
“Friendly, well-run hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

The front desk staff at the hotel was very helpful. I tore my ACL 2 days before our arrival and wasn't walking very well so I called ahead and asked for a wheelchair. The chair was waiting when we arrived and the staff thoughtfully put me on the first floor. They had many restaurant suggestions and made us feel right at home.
The room was large by New Orleans standards, quiet and very comfortable. Overall a very good hotel and a great value!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

I've stayed here three times now. The first time I had a beautiful corner room with walls of windows. It was a little noisy on the street, but nothing you couldn't sleep through. The second time I got a regular room that fronted Gravier, but it was quiet. The third time I got a similar room, but I had noisy neighbors, so I asked to be moved on day two. The only available room was one of those tiny rooms down the twisty hall that had a queen bed and no chair. The room was tiny, but most of the rooms at this hotel are on the small side. It was a higher floor and appeared to be recently renovated. I wanted peace and quiet and that is what I got. I am never interested in views in New Orleans, so the fact that the window was behind the TV and looked out on a parking deck did not bother me. The staff is always very friendly, and the restaurant is great for a take out burger if you are working in your room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ATLcruiser
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband and I moved to this hotel from another one that we were staying in that was horrible. This hotel was like night and day to the other hotel. The lobby was welcoming, the front desk staff were amazing, and the rooms were wonderful. The room was immaculate. Little details like housekeeping coming by every evening with a bag of ice if we needed it, free coffee and juice delivered to our room in the morning made the stay even more special. I can't speak highly enough about the Omni. We hated to leave!

1 Thank love_travel4444
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed there for two days....The hotel lobby was very nice and the people working there were always friendly and professional. The location is perfect if you want to be close to the French Quarter but not in it. Room was clean. Was a little dissapointed with a couple things. Felt it was a little pricey for what we got in return. After spending the night (bed was comfortable) The following day we got up and returned around 4pm and were surprised to find our room was still not cleaned and no new towels or bedding. Called down to front desk and they asked if I had left red beeds on the door which we didn't and they informed me that housekeeping works from 9am-5pm and it being 4pm they might not have got too it yet....thought that was a little late in the day after being tired from walking everywhere to deal with it. I did sign up for the select member program after reviewing tripadvisor, It really didnt make any difference in preferential treatment. We arrived at noon the day before and knew we were a bit early for checkin but were willing to go look around the french quarter until rooms were ready, said they would call me when it was ready. We came back about 30 minutes early at 2:30pm (30 minutes before official checkin) Were informed the room I had reserved still wasnt ready. The front desk person asked me if it was important to have a jucuzzi (which is what I paid for) only to offer me a window view room which was available right now. Slight dissapointment ....Overall the hotel is nice. The valet parking was a ripoff and considering we brought two cars I paid through the nose for them just to be parked at the LaQuinta.

Room Tip: Not really sure...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank patrick_oborski
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
We do apologize that your room wasn't serviced earlier in the day. While we do have a small housekeeping staff, we do our best to get to service every room as early in the day as is possible. We offer valet parking, but there is street parking near the hotel if you would prefer not to use valet. Also we're sorry your room wasn't ready, but since it wasn't quite check-in we wanted to offer you a room if you wanted to go ahead and settle in. We hope the overall experience overshadowed these few things and that you'll stay with us on your next visit to New Orleans.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Oh Omni... if only you'd put me in the THIRD room from the beginning...

So - I went to NOLA for a business trip, and was put in a second floor room, which is just one above street level, in a street-facing room. And true to many of the other positive reviews - I was greeted by very friendly front desk staff, and given a hand-written note from the manager, with his cell phone number welcoming me to the hotel. Lovely.

After returning from a late dinner, I came back to my room needing a good night's sleep for my business conference the next day. After spending over an HOUR and a HALF lying in bed WITH EARPLUGS trying to ignore the thumpa-thumpa music that was vibrating in my chest and rattling the windows ON A TUESDAY NIGHT (NOT during Mardi Gras or Jazzfest) - I decided to do something I've never done in my life - call the front desk to complain.

Upon complaining about the music, I was told there was a nightclub next door and that "the music should stop in about an hour or so." (PS - it was 1 a.m. by this time) Not "I'm so sorry, let me see if we can move you," but "it should stop soon." Nice. So, after asking to speak to a manager, and saying that I thought it was pretty crappy to charge someone $230/night for a room I can't sleep in, I was put on hold, and eventually told that there might be one room I could move to on a higher floor.

Someone was sent up to my room to give me keys to a room on the 8th floor, and I hastily tossed my things back into my suitcase, threw on some jeans over my pjs, and carried my stuff up to the 8th floor. I was assigned to room 810, which I'm pretty sure was some sort of a janitorial closet or storage space in the not-so-distant past, and was relatively recently converted into a hotel room. My storage space theory is based on the fact that the room number is actually not printed on they way-finding signs in the hallway, but written in with a sharpie. Awesome. Also - this "room" is way back at the end of an odd, twisty hallway (past a conference room), and is triangular in shape, and significantly smaller than the regular room they put me in initially.

Needless to say, it's the "no frills" room, with a TV placed directly in front of the window, which overlooks a scenic commerical-grade HVAC unit, and a parking garage. At 1:30 a.m., I honestly didn't care because it was QUIET - perfect. I started to unpack my things, and noticed a dead bug floating in the toilet. I thought "gross," and flushed it. Then I saw a live bug in the bathtub. I thought "super gross" and looked more closely - it was a termite. I then looked up at the light fixture over the bathtub - full of dead (and some still alive) termites. More gross. But I was so tired, I decided to "rough it" with the termites in the light fixture and go to bed.

As I'm unpacking my suitcase, I see something move on the floor of the closet - more live termites. So I turn on all the lights in the room and do a closer inspection - the ENTIRE FLOOR is COVERED in termite wings, and some live termites crawling around.

So I call the front desk and say "OK - I swear I'm not trying to be a pain, but the room you just sent me to is completely infested with termites." She said the hotel was completely booked, and there were no other options. So I said "well, if I have to choose between the window-rattling thumpa, thumpa music, and the termites, I choose the music because at least the music will eventually end." I went back to my thumpa-thumpa room, and finally fell asleep sometime around 3 a.m. after the music finally died down.

The next morning, I went down to the front desk to ask if moving was a possibility - the guy at the front desk looked like he knew exactly who I was, and also looked annoyed that I was there. He said they were planning to move me, but needed all of my luggage to be packed, so I went back upstairs, and packed my luggage for the FOURTH time in 24 hours.

When I returned from my all-day conference, I had been moved to a 7th floor room with a King bed. It was perfect, and QUIET, and the rest of my stay was absolutely flawless.

What is deeply disappointing is that at no time did a single member of the staff, including the manager who supposedly "hand-wrote" a note to me with his cell phone number, ever issue me an apology, offer to comp me a breakfast, give me a coupon for a free night on a future visit, etc. I was never offered an apology, and all the staff involved in getting me moved seemed annoyed by my humble request to not be in a termite-infested room.

In spite of that, I still give decent ratings due to the location, which is excellent, and the THIRD room they put me in, which was also excellent. I actually would recommend this hotel to someone, but with very strong advice about room location within the hotel.

My low ratings are really directed at management = fail.

Room Tip: No room below 5th floor or on top floor.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank austinitegirl
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Based on reviews, I was excited to have a stay at this property during a recent business trip. Unfortunately, I was put into a room that was completely unpleasant and unsuited to business travel. The room was so small that there was no chair, no desk, making it difficult for me as a business traveler with deadlines to meet. In addition, the room was very dark and claustrophobic, because the only window was completely obscured by a dresser topped by a television. I couldn't reach past the TV to open the draperies or look outside. The space was dark and devoid of natural light. The room was too hot, and the temperature controls had no effect on this problem. The bathroom was squeezed into the space, and the door kept closing into my back as I stood at the sink. The facility is very clean and the staff are friendly and accomodating,which helped offset my frustrations. They told me when I checked out that this room was only assigned when the hotel was very full. I might have felt differently if someone told me in advance that I was going to get a substandard room assignment, or if there was a price adjustment for suffering through my time here. So if you decide to stay here, watch out and be sure you don't get stuck with room number 611 or a similarly appointed room in times when the city is booked with a conference.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank erhof
We do apologize for the lack of a desk in your room and for the size of our one double bed rooms. We only use these when we are particularly busy and we're sorry it made it difficult to get work done. We're also looking into the temperature issue as a few guests have made this comment.
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Room temperature impossible to regulate. Linnens on bed smelly.
Food on breakfast buffet that is supposed to be hot is cold 2 days in a row
I have always stayed here but will find a new place.. Lots to choose from.'

• Stayed May 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We're more than happy to have housekeeping change the sheets in your room and have our engineering staff take a look at the thermostat. We don't want to lose you as a customer and we hope you'll reconsider staying with us again.