Hotel Monteleone
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$116
$249
$189
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$111
$99
  • Breakfast included
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$144
$118
$296
$259
  • Pool
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$179
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$117
$111
Hotels.com
  • Pool
The Whitney Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$123
$93
8,179 results
All reviewscarousel barcriollorooftop poolfrench quarterroyal streetbourbon streetbeautiful hotelperfect locationrooms are smallold world charmbeignetsstreet noisemississippi riverparking garagejackson squaremardi graslucille
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We were very pleased with the location of Hotel Monteleone, very close to great restaurants and shopping on Royal Street. It is less than 10 minutes to walk to Jackson Square. It is just a few minutes away from Bourbon Street. The hotel is very clean, very pretty and very characteristic of a hotel in the French Quarter. We stayed in a room with 1 King sized bed. It was pretty small, not leaving a lot of room to walk around the bed. It was just my husband and I, so it was fine, but there wouldn't be much room for another person. Perhaps other rooms are bigger. I must also say that the walls are a little thin, we heard a toilet flushing and...ahem...some other noises during our stay. Overall though, I would recommend this hotel for location, service and decor.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca S
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Dear Kabecka,

So glad to hear you were pleased with your stay at the Hotel Monteleone. Our rooms are on the smaller size, as many hotel rooms in the French Quarter tend to be due to their age. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and others. We appreciate all our guests feedback.

Reviewed January 15, 2011

I recently stayed at the grande dame of French Quarter hotels for New Years and I had an enjoyable overall experience. Celebrating New Years in New Orleans was an excellent choice, my girlfriend and I had a blast welcoming 2011 in Jackson Square. The people were great and it was an awesome time.

The Monteleone was a solid 4-Star hotel with many positive attributes and a few negatives:

Pros:
The hotel enjoys a great location on Royal Street, far enough from Bourbon Street for some peace, but close enough to be a quick walk from the action.

The hotel lobby is elegant and refined. The furnishings and décor are traditional and classy.

The staff and maid service were good. The hotel was very clean and well maintained.

While it was too cold to utilize, the roof-top pool looked great. I wish it was warm enough to enjoy a swim. The views were spectacular and the bar area was awesome. The fitness room was good for a hotel.

The Carousel Bar in the lobby is a French Quarter landmark. Even if you don’t stay in the hotel, you should check it out.

Cons:
I stayed in a basic room and it was fairly small. There was no drawer space, while the closet was adequate for hanging clothes.

The room décor was somewhat dated and the room could have benefited from a renovation.

The concierge desk was average—not as helpful as the staff at the Royal Sonesta (where I stayed last year).

One more point of interest, my Fodor’s book claims the hotel is haunted (especially the 14th (really the 13th) floor). I did not experience anything remotely supernatural (even after some cocktails), but I thought I would mention this tidbit. Although, it’s my understanding that many hotels in New Orleans are thought to be haunted (especially by locals).

I generally liked the Monteleone because I was looking for an old school hotel with a local New Orleans flavor. If you like modern hotels with trendy furnishings, this is not the place for you. I would definitely stay here again if the price were right. If I stay at the Monteleone again, I would seriously consider reserving a larger room.

On a side note, I have to give a glowing review to ACME Seafood (amazing seafood at good prices), Café Giovanni and the Pelican Club. As a foodie, New Orleans is one of my favorite places to visit. The three places mentioned above, were truly excellent dining experiences. The Pimms Cup at the Napoleon House may be the best cocktail I’ve ever had.

If you leave the French Quarter (especially if you’re going to Frenchman Street for jazz or the Warehouse District), it may be hard to find a cab to take you back. Call United Car Service and they will pick you up in 5 to 10 minutes. The telephone number for United is 5045229771. It really came in handy and the drivers were great.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank The_TravelerUSA101

Dear The_TravelerUSA101,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hotel Monteleone with us and others. We greatly appreciate guests feedback. The hotel is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year and is the oldest hotel in New Orleans. Due to the fact we are so old, the rooms are on the smaller side. On the topic of our ghosts, some guests experience their presence while others do not. Thank you again for your review, we are happy to hear you enjoyed New Orleans.

Reviewed January 14, 2011

We stayed there for the Christmas holidays for 3 nights . The service was excellent at the front desk and the concierge Cleatta was wonderful . The Carousel Bar was a delight and we never had trouble getting waited on whether at the bar or at a table . My only complaint was that they should have saved some reservations for the Christmas day buffet for hotel guests . We were on a waitlist but had to go to another restaurant because there was not an opening until right before the opening of the restaurant . They should probably ask guests at the time of booking on holidays if they would like reservations in their restaurant as a reminder that they can be sold out .Overall a nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Randolph0918

Dear Randolph0918,

We're glad you had such a nice time with us during your stay in New Orleans. We are sorry about the Christmas Buffet and will take your suggestion into consideration for next year.Thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Hotel Monteleone is beautiful on the inside and very clean. The front desk staff is friendly, well-trained and organized. It is well-known for having ghosts and is charming. They are also pet-friendly and greet the pets with their bag of goodies, place mat and their own bowl. The outdoor swimming pool on the top deck is clean and warm. Now, this is where the problems begin.

The bar at the pool does not open until they feel like it. The service is slower than molasses and the UP-CHARGES BEGIN...If you buy a beer it may cost $7.50, plus an automatic gratuity of 18%, plus s New Orleans tax, plus a regular tax....wow, that Stella just got up to over $10.00 dollars.

They make you tip whether you get your food in 20 minutes or an hour. Yes, it is that disorganized and that pricey for room service as well! In addition room service hours are limited. They offer a Pet-Friendly hotel but there is not ONE ITEM ON THE MENU FOR A PET! WHY DON'T THEY OFFER ROAST BEEF OR CHICKEN OR ANYTHING FOR A DOG! They charge a $100.00 dollars and than $25.00 dollars per day for the dog.

They charge $30.00 a night for parking. The management is friendly but the kitchen is DISORGANIZED and they forget the coffee or the toast or the eggs, etc.

Since it was the Thanksgiving Holidays and we wanted to have a traditional Turkey, etc. we went on-line and checked out the hotels and restaurants. We chose the Monteleone because their website offered the Tur-Duckin, a turkey stuffed with duck and chicken. We made reservations and when we arrived no one knew what was going on. It WAS A BUFFET THAT WAS LESS THAN MEDIOCRE AND VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE. It was too late to change and manager came over and showed us the menu and it was nothing like we saw on-line. The next day we talked to the concierge about the menu....and lo and behold she had a TOTALLY DIFFERENT MENU THAN we had! The kitchen staff and the restaurant manager need some serious direction.

So, in conclusion, the Hotel Monteleone may offer discounts and pet-friendly but the up-charges are outrageous. In March, I will look for a hotel where all of the charges are up front.

The automatic gratuity stinks because the wait staff doesn't care how long it takes. They get rewarded whether they take 10 minutes or 30 minutes. In the bar area, if you are lucky enough to get a seat at the Carousel bar, you get good service. However, if you have to sit at one of the tables, I wish you a lot of luck getting waited on. The staff gathers in the service room and chit-chats with each other. We were there for 5 nights and believe me, it became a joke. They throw a bowl of snacks in front of you and charge $15.00 dollars for a martini, including up-charges of course!

I plan on finding a much better hotel in New Orleans and I will let you know what it is.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank 19Delilah08
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Dear McGunn,

We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with your recent stay at Hotel Monteleone. If you can contact the Executive Office (504-523-3341) directly we will do our best to make it up to you.

Reviewed January 6, 2011

Okay so to start the Monteleone is beautiful. The staff was super friendly when we got in and the lobby is beautiful. They also have a great bar. The bad....walls are like paper. If you are a light sleeper this hotel is not for you. Sad to say it but its the truth. Heard my neighbors talking and even coughing. The bed however was really comfortable and the pool deck was gorgeous (even though it was too cold for us to swim). Also no free internet in the rooms :(

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear dianetravel,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Our hotel is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year and is very old. We are working on installing Wi-Fi throughout the building. We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.