“Pleasant Visit”

Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Bakersfield, CA
“Pleasant Visit”
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I just returned from a five night convention stay at the Monteleone, September 5-10. I was a solo traveler in a Deluxe Double with plenty of room. It would have been cramped, if there were more than two persons in the room. The convention food was very good. The a/c in the ballroom and meeting rooms made us unaware of the heat and humidity until we went out at night. The rooftop pool was nice for an early morning swim. The gym is open 24/7. The business center charges $7 to just check your email. The city was free wireless internet service, so bring your laptop. With the exception of the reservation and front desk clerks, the hotel staff was friendly and quick to help.

Because of a flight delay, I checked in close to midnight. I had asked for a higher room with non-allergenic bedding - these were options on their website reservation page. I was given a ninth floor floor facing the street with eight down pillows and bed coverings. It was disappointing that the front desk clerks can not read or refuse to honor reservation requests. The housekeeping staff was able to remedy the bedding problem. I did notice, however, that my colleagues who checked in the next day got rooms on higher floors. As we entered or exited the elevator, it was also noticeable that persons of color were assigned the lower floors.

Since there were very few others on my floor, I did not hear any neighbors "whispering" next door. Street noise was only noticeable on Saturday night when the hip hop music was blaring from the street cruisers.

Mr. B is located in the same block as the hotel; Cafe Beignet and Brennans were also on Royal about two blocks away. It was a long walk to the French Market Place or Canal Place. And it was verrrry loong down dark streets after a night of drinking at my favorite clubs which were on the other side of the French Quarter. ;)

I liked this hotel.

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — small room, nasty front desk clerks
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank btowndude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Turkish first
Paducah, KY
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone Aug 26-30 and it was wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and well equipped. We went to the spa for a massage and Brigette was professional and gave a relaxing treatment. We were extremely happy with our stay!!!

• Liked — location and historic value
  • Disliked — charge for internet service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
miami
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Why I didn't like the place:

1) Stained carpets, makes for bad impression on first entrance into the room

2) Was promised a high floor with a view, got a back alley with garbage bins lining the alley

3) No hot water. I asked to change rooms was told there was nothing else.

4) Paper thin walls. I heard my neighbors whispering.

5) One day, the maids forgot to leave clean towels.

6) New Orelans has FREE internet access for the whole French Quarter provided by Earthlink -- it's a City Service. The Hotel Monteleone charged me $9.99 per day without informing me of this. I felt it was lying by ommission.

7) Doormen too busy chatting and talking to open doors.

8) Slowest elevators in the world. If you have plans, add 15 minutes to your deadline.

9) Hotel guests would put their dirty room service trays outside the door and the trays would sit there for 24 hours. I took photos, but decided not to post them.

10) Tiny rooms.

• Liked — locationi
  • Disliked — the hotel itself is a dump surrounded by top quality hotels
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank tombo521
Bakersfield, Ca
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I have to say that the Hotel Monteleone was top notch, we enjoyed our stay there thoroughly. The staff was very helpful, excluding a few stuffy staff members, I find it funny that a desk clerk could be stuffy. Aside from a few staff members being stuffy, they and the others were very helpful. We loved Annette at front desk, also the bartender at the pool, the regular one not the fill in, he had literally no personality. Most of the staff are very helpful, and went out of their way to accommodate our requests, including a room switch. The location of hotel is perfect, right next to all action, you're not caught in the middle of Bourbon St craziness. Food was to die for, we went several places Deanie's Fresh Seafood, affordable and yummy...ACME oyster House, love this place, get the Charbrioled oysters...killer, Tujuaqes, a great deal set price range from 32-39 dollars a plate, but includes everything 5 courses fine dining, casual dress OK though. Gotta have beniets at Cafe Dumond, and Great Jazz at Reservation hall, and a nice little courtyard at Cafe Beniet on Bourbon St after 6pm jazz, food and drinks. We will highly recommend Hotel Montleone for its beauty, class and location. We'll be back for sure

• Liked — The Pool on the Roof
  • Disliked — The hours of pool access, and a few desk clerks attitudes
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MrEdit0r
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2007

It took me a long time to find a hotel in New Orleans because the reviews were so inconsistent: While some said it's great, others suggested that one should never stay at the hotel.

I just stayed at Monteleone for work, and for my business tripI thought the hotel was an excellent choice. The superior room was small, but just fine for myself; for two people it would be a bit too crowded, Upgrading it to the Delux room might solve the problem though.

Monteleone is a beautiful medium sized boutique hotel. It was a historical landmark as I fould out writers such as Hemingway and Capote mentioned the hotel in their books. The room was decorated tastefully, simple and elegant. The bathroom was clean and the water pressure was good. The bar had live music from Wednesday to Sunday nights. Some guy was playing a piano and singing when I was there. I liked it. The swimming pool on the roof was small, but had a great view, and the gym was filled with large treadmills facing the river, but no free weights.

There was no legit grab-and-go breakfast items: The gift shop offered the vending machine quality pastries and some fresh fruits. There was Cafe Biegnnnet down the block but they were closed for the day. I found it inconvinient since I was in a hurry. Sheraton on Canal st. had Starbucks. I had my morning latte fix picked up there instead.

The hotel couldn't be better located. It's on Royal st. which is known for great antique shops. The hotel is sourrounded by the awsome little stores, and yet close to Bourbon st. if you must check it out. Some of the reviewers who stayed at the hotels on Canal st. said their location were good, but if you are not going to drive to French Quarter for late dinner and drink afterwards I can't recommend these Canal St. hotels. "3 blocks" in New Orleans wouldn't be as same as walking from the 18th st. to 21 st. street at Gramercy park in NYC. The blocks were much bigger, I am not sure how safe it is late at night and it's not that scenic either. Unless you need to collect the points from big chain hotels outside of French quarter, stay at Monteleone.

• Liked — location, room decoration, no crazy floral prints
  • Disliked — No grab-and- go option for breafast, small room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank wshlew
OH
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We had a very nice night at the Monteleone. The location is excellent and the room was clean and quiet. We did not have a view but we slept like rocks. I prefer a quiet room over one with a window on the French Quarter street noise. If you call thirty mintues before needing your car it should be there for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Impersonal staff
  • Stayed August 2007
LAs Vegas, NV
Reviewed August 19, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a great stay at this hotel for our 20th anniversary. We got to the hotel early and tried to check in but our room was not ready. They secured our bags and we were able to check in about an hour early. The front desk was a bit aloof but I wouldn't hold that against the hotel. We eventually got a Riverview suite on the 15th floor that was amazing. The hotel had a special for the month and the price was over $500.00 less than the normal rate. The suite was clean, the bed was great, and the turn down service a nice touch.

We used room service for chocolate covered strawberries that were to die for and champagne. I gave them a delivery time while were out and they were waiting for us upon our return.

The pool was nice and relaxing and the bar seemed very friendly.

We had a drink in the carousel bar and listened to the piano man, you felt transported to another era.

We both used the spa my husband had a full body which he rated as one of the best in his life, and I had reflexology. I was not impressed with my service, it was just a message not true reflexology.

This hotel thrives becuase it is old school. The doorman opens the door and greets you. The feeling is of a family. The workers love being there and it shows. They treat you as a person not a number. If you are looking for a chain experience try the Ritz, but if you want to have an amazing New Orleans experience this is your place. We walked the French Quarter every night dined at Cafe Beignet down the street each morning. You felt like you were in a movie when life was different but beautiful. I give this trip and hotel an "A".

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple