“Bellisima!”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #8 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 21, 2004

We love this hotel! My sons and I stayed there on two occasions and we had spacious, nicely decorated rooms with lovely bathrooms and views of the French Quarter. The lobby with its painted ceiling, crystal chandeliers and grandfather clock is gorgeous. The hotel is in a terrific location and quiet (guess we missed the construction). We enjoyed swimming in the lovely rooftop swimming pool and working out in the modern fitness center. Staff was friendly and helpful. Going in the summer, we got great rates. We will definitely return to the Monteleone, but will make sure to ask for a deluxe room since other reviewers have complained of the small size.

2  Thank kcdeckerSeattle_WA
There are newer reviews for Hotel Monteleone

A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2004

My girfriends and I always plan a summer trip for the "Girls only". This year we went to the Essence Festival July 2-4. We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone. The hotel was fabulous; the rooms were very nice and clean.. and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Had such a wonderful time; I will be staying there again next month when I go back for a Business trip.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2004

The Monteleone is right on Royal Street a few blocks from Jackson Square. This is really one the busiest but prettiest parts of the Quarter, especially early in the morning. Check out the alley behind the hotel and also the nearby Napoleon House Bar.
It is true that the rooms are quite small, but isn't that really true of all old hotels. And Truman Capote wasn't concieved in one of your fancy new hotels was he?
So, go and enjoy the lobby, stepping out right in the middle of everything, and stop holing-up in your room, do that at home.

2  Thank DWL2112
Reviewed August 4, 2004

Before I go into the problems we encountered I also want to say that the hotel itself is very nice, the rooms are tastefully decorated and the bathrooms are beautiful. The rooms are tiny, so if you are traveling with children you will feel very cramped (we had our children with us and were literally tripping over each other). The location is great. The problems we encountered have more to do with service and organization among the staff. I made reservations for connecting rooms with double beds since we were traveling with our three children and my mother, the day we were to arrive I called to confirm, the front desk person told me that the connecting rooms had already been blocked for us. When we arrived late at night after a long day of travel we check-in and at check-in I remind the front desk person about our rooms, she said that we did have connecting rooms. We lug our stuff and kids to the rooms and they are not connecting. We go back to the front desk and the front desk person says that they show them as connecting (even though they are not) and appologizes and tries to find connecting rooms. She is not able to and informs us that those are the only rooms available for that night, but that she can move us to connecting rooms for the four remaining nights. So, we have no choice but to stay in the rooms since it was almost 1AM. It was hard with three young children and I'm sure we drove the neighbors crazy going back and forth between rooms that night trying to get exhausted, cranky kids settled and the following morning trying to get them ready. The following day we go to the front desk to change rooms and the front desk person says that there has been a mistake and that the rooms are not going to be available the last night of our stay because that entire wing of the hotel is going to have no electricity and there are not connecting rooms in the part of the hotel that is remaining open and that she does not know why the person the night before failed to remember that. So, we take the rooms since we have already wasted a good portion of our first day in New Orleans checking in with the hotel to see of the new rooms were ready and then moving our stuff. The front desk also told us that the new rooms were on the opposite side of the hotel, but that there was a hall that connected the wings on the 10th floor. She failed to mention that there were four steps to get up to the connecting hall and four steps on the other side. It was extremely hard to go up and down those stairs with children and luggage (even though all our luggage had wheels) but we were already so far from the elevators and so close to the other rooms. I also had to spend a good deal of my vacation time calling other hotels trying to find connecting rooms for our last night. I did find them and had a wonderful stay at the Chateau Sonesta (which is THE place to stay if you have kids with you or just enjoy LARGE rooms.) So, even though the hotel is lovely and the tiny rooms might be just the thing for a couple wanting to be close, it is not the place for families and the hotel can work on it's organization/knowledge.

6  Thank lhusted
A TripAdvisor Member
Edmond, OK
Reviewed July 31, 2004

From the moment we walked into this lovely Hotel, we knew we had booked the right one. The lobby is breathtaking, with it's painted ceilings and ornate wood work. The staff was always helpful and available. The rooms were very clean and the maid service perfect.

The rooftop pool was a wonderful treat and the fitness center had great equipment. This Hotel is close to everything! It was very easy to walk any place in the French Quarter. We had a "deluxe" room which offers a view of the French Quarter or Mississippi. I recommend the Mississippi view. I was told that the "deluxe rooms" are a little bigger than the regular rooms. I recommend the "deluxe rooms".

When we visit New Orleans again, we will always stay at the Hotel Monteleone!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2004

I wanted to share New Orleans with my 13-year old as I love that city. After researching several French Quarter establishments, I decided on the Monteleone as I had not stayed there before. Check in and out was wonderfully simple and everyone was so pleasant. They even have a Grey Line Tour desk there which helped us a lot! My son loved the rooftop pool and exercise room, which we took advantage of everyday that we stayed there. The only negative was the steep rate for parking as we drove. The rooms were beautiful and we asked for and got a great view on the 14th floor.

2  Thank ToledoBev
Reviewed July 9, 2004

We booked an air/hotel deal through travelocity for a 5 night, 6 day stay at the Monteleone. We arrived on July 4th at about 12:30 am. We got our luggage up the small flight of steps into the lobby, while the bell hop sat and chatted with another employee. Only when we got to the front desk did he offer to help us with our bags. We were told that they did not have the double double we had reserved, they only had a room with one king size bed, but with a "great" view. This did not work for us as there were three adults in our party. When we asked for a rollaway we were told there were none available. After arguing with the front desk clerk and night manager for about 15 minutes, we finally went up to the room and my husband slept on the floor. We were quite put out by the whole experience because the front desk clerk was really snooty about the whole thing. She basically told us that when you book through a third party there is no room guarantee, you get whatever they have available on the night you show up. We had the entire 5 page printout with us from travelocity and asked her to show us where it said that among the many disclaimers that were printed on it. She glanced through it for a couple minutes and then basically said it didn't really matter, they didn't have the room anyway. She did offer the put a "block" on a double double room, so we could move into it the next night as soon as it became available. The "great" view was of the rooftop of the parking garage. The next day we requested a move to the room we had originally booked and we were accomodated. We were also given a coupon for free breakfast at the hotel's restaurant to make up for our inconvenience. Other than that things improved. We thought the rooms were of adequate size and clean. The hotel staff were pleasant and friendly and the concierge made reservations for us at NOLA.

The bar was great, not too crowded, and the bartenders were friendly and competent. The breakfast buffet was good in the hotel's restaurant. Mr. B's Bistro (one of the Brennan restaurants) is right across the street, and we had an excellent meal there.

5  Thank OCMichelle