“I did have a 'pleasant stay'”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #8 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Calgary, Canada
“I did have a 'pleasant stay'”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

On the bottom of my bill it said ....."if you had a pleasant stay then please give us 5 stars on TA", or words to that effect ..........

In my world pleasant doesn't mean the best stay so my review gives them 4 stars - some average and some very good attributes so will err upwards.

- location fantastic
- room very nice decor but a bit threadbare in places
- wifi fast and robust but then it should be for $12.95 - should we really be paying for this in this day and age ?
- bed fantastically comfortable
- event catering really pretty exceptional, a great and diverse menu well cooked
- shower great
- the guy that tells stories and gives groups the most complete safety briefing ever
- the decor is much more tasteful than it looks in the website pictures - the hotel doesn't in fact look like Liberace's living room :-)

Not so great

- crappy pillows - too short and soft
- bedding generally
- smallest bathroom possible to get a full bath in
- drinks service in the bar pretty slow
- didnt find the staff particularly attentive or friendly
- annoying habit of events staff talking in background during people reporting out in a workshop

All in all pretty good though with some areas to improve

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Turkish first
Azle, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2014

What a treat to stay at this gorgeous hotel in the famous NOLA French Quarter. Beautiful hotel, beautiful rooms, beautiful history. They graciously put me on a "haunted" floor, but I wasn't blessed with anyone from the other side. I was there for a writer's convention, so it was crawling with people in the publishing industry. It did get a little dicey when a hurricane turned his attention to New Orleans, but it ended up just being a tropical storm. I was still able to see some things in between diluges--and I felt perfectly safe in this century-old hotel which had survived Hurricane Katrina with hardly a scratch. This is a first choice for future visits.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in September. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone - no hurricanes this time!
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed in this hôtel for 5 days around New Years eve and it was my first time. I loved it because the hotel is so beautiful! Our room was great and we enjoyed the Carroussel bar a lot! The whole atmosphere was really nice in New Orleans, the city is definitly a good spot for New Year's Eve, eventhough i'm not a big fan of the famous "Bourbon st", just going all the way to Frenchmen st was so much better (the crowd, the music...). But what makes the difference in a high standing hotel like this is the staff. Everybody has been so good especially the one at the door, these people were standing outside in the cold and they still smile at you and are so helpful. I remember one day particularly, a very tall, white man and a younger black man were at the door. As i was talking with the younger black man he explained me he was new in New Orleans and when i asked him where he was from he told me Ethiopia, which made me want to talk to him even more since i've been there (beautiful country and beautiful people...) a few years ago. This guy true kindness was so noticeable. And this is something i'm really sensitive to, I guess that's my european roots, I sometime find american a bit superficial, they are sometime a little bit "too much". This little talk with that guy made my day, and that's one thing I like about hotel staff, i like when i feel like they are naturally nice and not just faking it to get their tip!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at the Hotel Monteleone! We aim to provide each guest with the same luxurious experience you described. Please come back and visit us soon!
Alton, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2014

After reading a number of excellent reviews, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the hotel. The staff was exceedingly accomodating. It was a bit threadbare in places. The room was small and the bathroom was rather cramped. I enjoyed the Carousel Bar. Lunch (and I normally won't eat in a hotel restaurant, especially in New Orleans) was very good. The waiter was slightly rude, which suprised me. The hotel just didn't have it for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank C0rgiL0ver

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable space to stay while visiting New Orleans. Again, we apologize that you did not find this satisfactory but we do ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans’ old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.

We value your patronage and hope that on your next visit to New Orleans you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you deserve.
Spring, Texas
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband booked a wonderful weekend getaway to New Orleans. He booked a two night stay at the Hotel Monteleone with King bed. We received a email confirmation with the room rate. There was no information about a Romance Package that was linked to the room. When we checked into the hotel no one at the front desk mentioned a Romance Package. When we got into our room we were welcomed with wine and strawberries. We were shocked and thought how nice this hotel is for doing this. Then we left for dinner and when we returned our room was made up and a gift certs were left on our bed for dinner and drinks etc. We we once again shocked and had no idea this was part of a package linked to our stay. We once again thought WOW this hotel is great giving us all this wonderful gift for our Anv . We even canceled dinner plans to NOLAs. Trust me, I didn't drive to New Orleans to eat dinner in the Hotel. I will say our stay was very nice and the workers at the hotel treated us very well. Our waiter for dinner was wonderful and I would say he was the best waiter I ever had. The day of checkout we had a copy of our bill under the door and after reviewing it noticed a $325 Romance Package Charge. I almost had a heart attack and called the front desk to discuss. The front desk worker addressed my concern and assured us that we added it to our room. I assured her we had not and we never even spoke about it and it was not on our email confirmation. I have addressed this issue to management and even called the following week and spoke to someone in the main office about my concerns and have yet to receive a phone call back about the issue. Its been over two weeks. Trust me. The OMNI is 100% better and I will never stay with this hotel again. I have also let all my friends and clients know about our experience and it has been shared all over my business Facebook pages. I would hope this hotel adds package information to their email confirmations so if a mistake was made it can be addressed before check in. My wonderful weekend turned into the weekend from HELL!!!

5 Thank Lori P
Estero, Florida
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have stayed multiple times in New Orleans and have yet to find anywhere better than Hotel Monteleone. Its location in the French Quarter is incredible and it's great to enjoy the fame & history of this property. The rooms are on par with Ritz Carlton style & quality. And the best part is the Carousel Bar!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank happycj24
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your kind review of Hotel Monteleone and your loyalty to our establishment. We look forward to having you again soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We loved our stay at this lovely Hotel, the staff were all so gracious, especially Concierge, Randy, Anita and Joey - David at Front Desk and Ted the Doorman.
Room was quiet and clean, wonderful bathroom. Great location.

2 Thank Jeanne V
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in January. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone!