“Slipping Fast”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the Hotel Monteleone in about a year. There are so many things to like about this hotel, but it seemed to be slipping in terms of quality this year. My shower was broken, as was one of the sink drains. The mini bar was empty - the hotel staff informed me that they were all empty now, and were there for guests to use as mini refrigerators. That would have been fine, if the bottom of the mini frig wasn't full of water. In addition, there was a strange squeaking noise coming from outside the window - probably a rooftop ventilation device on its last legs. I moved rooms once to get away from it, but everyone on my side of the hotel must have heard it. The hotel said there was nothing they could do about it, and nowhere else to move me, unless I wanted to spend more to upgrade my room. I think next year I'll look for another place to stay.

1  Thank LPavarotti
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable space to stay while visiting New Orleans.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,909)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was here for a conference. The hotel has a lot to be proud of: the service is excellent, the revolving Carousel Bar is unique and fun, the food served at the conference functions was delicious. My only complaints are that the furniture and decor in the rooms is very outdated, and the bed was of low quality and not comfortable. A full renovation of the guest rooms would make this a hotel to return to.

3  Thank Clint D

Thank you for your review! Your comments regarding the comfort of your room has been brought to the management team for review. We still hope you will return to the Monteleone someday!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is probably one of the best hotels in The Quarter. Rooms are beautiful, staff is wonderful, the Carousel Bar and Criollo Restaurant are fabulous.
I coordinated a large group of over 20 ppl for a bachelorette weekend, needing a block of rooms and everything was handled perfectly. Extremely helpful in coordinating the group reservations, and in distributing our prepared welcome bags to our groups' rooms for us. Everyone seemed happy with their rooms. One group switched rooms because the temperature in their room was too warm and the thermostat could not be repaired satisfactorily.
I had pre-ordered a delivery from a local wine & liquor store, which the staff received and placed in our suite prior to us arriving. Hotel had complementary champagne and cheese plate waiting for us, as well. We stayed in the William Faulkner Suite -- gorgeous! We hosted our group within our suite during our stay and the Criollo chef prepared custom, delicious appetizers to be sent to our room for our event, and the cost was surprisingly reasonable.
Thermostat in our room was not cooling properly and with that many people gathering in our suite, it was noticeably warm. Maintenance came promptly and fixed the problem easily.
Our group gathered several times in the Carousel Bar before and after our excursions into the Quarter. We had Sunday A.M. breakfast in Criollo and it was perfect.
I have stayed at Monteleone several times and have been happy with each visit! Will definitely return on my next trip to NOLA!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nicole L

Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at the Hotel Monteleone! We aim to provide each guest with the same luxurious experience you described. Sounds like a great bachelorette trip! Please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Had a great experience! Location was perfect..

not sure what else to say really Trip Advisor are making me right 200 characters so I am filling it with ...nearly there... im at 168 now.. giberish just get my review on board

1  Thank Zander K

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I travel at least twice a year to the French Quarter every year, and have, for many years. This is the hotel I always return to for many reasons..... The service, the staff, the ambiance, the history, reasonably priced for the service and value, the Carousel bar and Criollo restaurant. This hotel delivers consistently impeccable service. I've stayed in other French Quarter hotel chains, a few boutique hotels and one B&B. This hotel, by far, is the one I usually decide to stay at. Each stay was wonderfully enjoyable. The staff is superb, from the minute the doors are opened for you. The rooms are tastefully done, very comfortable, wonderful amenities. I love the marble bathrooms. The bathrooms are a little on the small side but I've never found that intrusive for a weekend or 4 day stay. This hotel has hugely interesting history, common areas are absolutely beautiful. If I could compare this hotel to something similar in a historic flagship hotel it would easily compete with the Hotel Del Coronado (California), sans a beach. Old world value with high emphasis on superb quality. I've spent many an enjoyable afternoon at their rooftop pool. This is a great hotel for couples and families. Excellent location on Royal. A block from Bourbon. Quiet, and stately. The Carousel bar is fantastic. The best wait staff. The best collection of wines, spirits, imaginative concoctions. Their restaurant Criollo is superb for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I've attended several conferences at this hotel and they deliver a consistent overall great conference experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Khosler88

We are so pleased that you found the Hotel Monteleone to be so comfortable, beautiful, and friendly. We certainly agree! We look forward to seeing you again soon in NOLA!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

+ location is ideal as right in French Quarter. Hotel restaurant and food are up to **** standards.
- small rooms and poor service at reception desk. Expect to have to call reception at least twice to get any issue resolved.

• Stayed: January 2014

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

From the time I walked in to the hotel, the staff was very polite, helpful and gracious. The food was fantastic and I enjoyed a few nights of great sleep. Also, I woke up early to use the fitness center and with it on the rooftop, watching the sunrise while running was amazing.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in January. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone!