“Incredible!”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #9 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I have a friend who has been to LA many times and has stayed at the Hotel Monteleone before when his company paid for it. This time he was able to choose one of his favorite hotels because of the great price he was able to get for us ~ chance of a lifetime, he said! This was our first trip to NOLA and being able to stay at a beautiful, historic and luxurious hotel such as the Monteleone was a perfect way to experience it! To top it off, we found out that the property is one of the only hotels that is still family owned ~ near and dear to my heart! Even before arrival we recieved incredible customer service from Anne Brett, VIP Concierge, whom I spoke with on the phone to question some of the amenities, tours and other things. Then she invited me to see her once we got there, and she was so helpful, informative and a wealth of information throughout our entire stay. We thoroughly enjoyed the entire property from the grand entrance with very friendly doormen to the gorgeous lobby to the Carousel Bar & Lounge and the beautiful rooftop pool! The housekeeping staff was very courteous & respectful and the beds were very comfortable. Being in the heart of the French Quarter was wonderful and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go! Hotel Monteleone is by far one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in! The next time I hope that we book our trip for a longer period of time so that we can enjoy the restaurant and spa that we just didn't have the time for. Thank You!

Room Tip: Even being on the 10th floor wasn't an issue since the elevator was pretty quick!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane M
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

We're so happy you were able to have the chance to visit the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans! Even happier that we were able to live up to our reputation of being comfortable, friendly, and beautiful. Hope to see you again someday!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,701)

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked our stay here through booking.com and got a great price for this extremely nice hotel!! We were going off of pictures and reviews only as this was our first trip to NO.... Upon arrival we were delighted by the grand front entrance and friendly door man.... The lobby is absolutely gorgeous and the front desk staff is very helpful and friendly... We were room 541- it was clean and very comfortable... We found that it was the absolute perfect location with only a short walk to bourbon street, shopping, restaurants, and anything else you should want in the French quarter! We ordered room service two separate times- it was very timely to arrive and nice quality food... The carousel bar in the lobby is very neat and a great chill place to get a drink- the bar was always packed, but there were usually seats available in the lounge area... We would be delighted to stay here again on our next visit and highly recommend to all those looking for a great spot in NO! :)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mershaw

We're delighted to hear you found the Hotel Monteleone to be grand, friendly, clean, and comfortable - we certainly agree! Thank you for writing such a kind review and we look forward to seeing you again in NOLA soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Fantastic roof top pool, bar and restaurant! This was the perfect place to R & R between enjoying great food, music, and sightseeing. October is the perfect time for sun bathing and the Halloween decorations around town was a very cool bonus.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vicdudd

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Monteleone and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I would stay here again-it's well located, comfortable and the roof top pool and bar makes life worth living. Plus carousel bar is awesome. However, the staff here needs retraining. For a hotel as nice and as expensive as this one, one that calls itself a luxury hotel, I would expect the front desk people to be friendly and professional. They are awkward and fake and make you worry about how your stay is going to go. When we checked in at 11:00 a.m., we were told by Crystal that there was no early check in, which we expected. We were planning to leave our bags and walk around until check in at three. Crystal informed us of where we would leave our bags but made no mention of when our room might be ready, so I asked her when she thought that might be. She responded that check in is usually at three but that there are no guarantees and that of course if we were checked in late they would apologize for the inconvenience. I think she asked me how that sounded and I said, well I think if it were to be 3:15 it wouldn't be a very big deal but if it were 4:00, I would be surprised and disappointed because the check in time advertised on the website is 3:00. She gave us all these excuses about how the hotel had been full friday, something awkward about what they "call that in the industry" (Really? Do people normally leave New Orleans on Saturday morning?) and how the maids often don't have time to finish cleaning rooms before 3 and that it happens all the time. This struck me as very odd because I'm not used to being casually told that I won't be checked at the advertised time, that not checking in on time is normal somehow, being pseudo-apologized to (in an insincere way) in advance for something that hopefully won't happen, and then being given excuses that don't even make sense and are insulting to one's intelligence. If the maids can't clean the rooms before 3:00, obvious solution: hire more maids or change the check in time! Instead we were made to feel uncomfortable and prepared to be on the defense when all we wanted to do was have a cursory interaction with the front desk and come back at 3:00 to check in. We were struck by Crystal's way of speaking, as though she were following a badly-written script. Everything she said came across as fake-this is especially noticeable in the south, where friendliness is expected in the service industry. At the point at which someone normally asks: "and what method of payment will you be using," she asked: "and what will you be using to establish credit" as though we were being interviewed by a bank. That is neither here nor there but it was all a bit odd. We requested a high floor and she said is 12 high enough? We said yes. After taking my phone number twice with no mention of whether she planned to call us when our room was ready, Crystal finished checking us in and we went off wandering. When we came back at 3:40 the gentlemen who helped us said I see you requested a room on the twelfth floor, that isn't ready yet. We explained that we had requested any room on a high floor and were checked in, no problem, on the 9th. That gentleman did not distinguish himself in any way by having a friendly manner; he spent the majority of his interaction with us not looking at us, but he was fine. The next day, we did not want someone coming into our room to clean it, so we left the privacy sign up. The maid was passing by so we asked her not to clean it-she didn't understand so her supervisor (?) explained it to her. When we got back, someone had been in our room and replaced the towels. Then our toilet wouldn't stop flushing for five minutes so we called the front desk who said they would send someone up. We wanted to rest, but we kept worrying someone would knock on the door, so we couldn't. The toilet stopped flushing by itself but it was strange that no one showed or called. Then, we received a voice message saying your privacy sign was on your door and we couldn't therefore enter so if you would like your room serviced or fresh towels, please let us know. Confusing, given that despite our explicit request that they not do so, someone had entered our room, and also because there was no mention in the message of the toilet issue. The next morning, there was a bill under our door showing two charges for parking. Surprising, because Crystal asked us at check in if we had a car and we said no. We went down to fix this problem and even though I thought to myself, oh no, not again when I saw that Crystal was again at the front desk, I smiled and said good morning and told her that we had no car but were being charged for one. Her verbatim response: "Well you must have a car if it says so here." Pause. "You just don't have the million dollar one you want." What? I appreciate humor in the service industry, but you can't use dead pan humor because most people don't understand it-I do enjoy banter with people but not with someone who has already rubbed me the wrong way and who makes everything complicated. Furthermore, Crystal does not give off a jovial vibe but rather an awkward and fake one, so her attempt at "humor" comes across as rude. Instead of simply apologizing for this error, I received a slew of other excuses about how sometimes people give the garage the wrong room number and how even if they give the garage the right room number then sometimes the attendant messes it up. I wanted to be like this is not relevant information, please just apologize and let me get out of here without wasting more time. Ultimately, there seems to be a disconnect in this hotel between its image and the actual service level, and that should be addressed promptly. No one wants to feel like they are staying at a place where the staff is not competent, and that's exactly how we felt. It takes away from that glorious illusion of vacation that everything is handled for you. I might stay here again but I might consider going elsewhere, like the Omni, which also has a roof top pool and potentially less customer service issues. I would warn others considering staying here about the check in drama.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank miamiamia

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect..

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Was there 40 years ago for our honeymoon and it was awesome. Returned 3 yrs. ago and it was the same. Great staff very helpful and friendly. Family owned business reminds me of the movie HOTEL. Planning on returning in2014.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy K

We love to hear stories like these at the Hotel Monteleone! We look forward to seeing you in 2014!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

A real treat! We stayed for two nights and found we needed to stay a third night but the hotel was full. The front desk bent over backward to find us a room and finally did. We enjoyed drinks in the beautiful Carousel Lounge and spent the extra day in their beautiful relaxing spa. The services throughout the hotel were excellent and the staff professional. This is the only place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank JRTX2857

SO happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience with our staff and services at Hotel Monteleone. We hope you will join us again in New Orleans soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The best part of the is how beautiful it is, and how beautiful the rooms are. It is has a great location. Close to Bourbon, without the noise and craziness.

I thought the lobby was a tad crowded at times, sometime it took forever to get a lift. Very annoying when you are paying top dollar for a suite. I also think that suites should be well stocked with bottled water- we got 1 all weekend. It's sometimes the little things that count.

Also, some of the workers at the front desk need more traing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrunswickBabe

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hotel Monteleone. We are glad you found the hotel so beautiful, and have informed our management team of your comments regarding our amenities and service. We hope to see you again in the future!