“Great Place-Great Price” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Long Island, New York
“Great Place-Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

Stayed at Monteleone from 7/7 for three nights, Hotel staff top notch in every way. The place was super clean, staff a pleasure to talk to, 5 star place at 1 star price. Cant beat location either- one block south of Bourbon Street.

• Liked — Elegant and Clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank LongIslandIcedT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Turkish first
Ocala, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

Our family had a block of 11 rooms reserved for an event. Our room was to be a double, as there are 3 of us. We checked in, gave our credit card information, and were given the keys to a fourth floor room.
No one was available to help with our luggage, so the 3 of us lugged it all to room 467, which turned out to be a king suite. We hauled everything back to the front desk, waited in a long line, and informed the staff person that we were given the wrong room. He told us there was no problem, he "checked us out of room 467" and we were given the keys to room 471.
Our room was clean, comfortable, and nicely appointed. Although our room faced the street, it was quiet. Of course, there was an obligatory hair in the bathroom, but we have come to expect that in any hotel we stay at.
The exercise room is exceptional, with an incredible view. Overall, we had a nice stay.
Upon check-out, we decided to use another credit card than the one we checked in with. The 2-night stay, with parking, was $346.50.
Almost 3 week's later I decided to check my credit card statement and saw that the initial card we used upon check-in had been billed, as well as the card we switched to upon check-out. The total combined charges for both cards (for a 2 night stay) was: $697.09. I called the toll-free number listed for the hotel and explained my problem. The girl who answered (I did not get her name, but she was in reservations) asked me if we had perhaps ordered room service to incur these additional charges!
I was finally transferred to the credit manager's voice mail. I waited 3 hours and called back. I got the same girl in reservations who informed me it was 12:13 and everyone was at lunch. She reiterated the time of day before transferring me to Tania's voice mail once again. Within an hour, Tania returned my call. She listened patiently, did some research, and told me that I was billed for rooms 467 and 471.
I asked how this could have occurred and Tania told me my information was still imprinted on the portfolio for the original room and that when my brother arrived (the occupant of room 467), he was handed the keys and told he had already been checked in. Please note that my brother has an assistant who arranged the accomodations for all of us and I am sure he assumed she had handled his payment arrangements as well. He is important, whereas I have to do everything for myself!
Tania then explained that until my brother called with his credit card information, my erroneous charge could not be reversed. I asked Tania what would have happened if someone I didn't know had been given room 467....would I still be charged? She had no answer. I asked if the hotel would admit a mistake had been made. She replied, "I wasn't there, so I don't know what really happened." What REALLY happened was that the front desk clerk left my credit card information on file to cover the charges of a room they initially gave me BY MISTAKE.
Tania DID offer to call my brother for me to obtain his credit card information and offered to call me back when she had obtained the information.
The next day, I received a call from her co-worker. Jim said that "David" told him that I had authorized my card to be used for my brother's charges. I have no idea who "David" is and why he would say something that is 100% untrue. I then told Jim that I had called my credit card company to dispute the charge and he told me that it wouldn't matter...they have the signed portfolio for room 467 and it is MY responsibility to pay it unless my brother provides his credit information. I asked Jim the same question I asked Tania: What if a stranger had been given room 467? Jim told me that I should have asked the front desk clerk to hand me back the information I provided for room 467 when I was switched to room 471. I assumed that when I am told "You have been checked out of that room," that I am not financially responsible for the room.
My brother's assistant called the hotel this afternoon, provided the information, and my charges were reversed. The hotel will still not admit any wrong-doing, and although I was planning a return visit to New Orleans I certainly will never stay at this property again.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Babs0828
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

WOW. Knew it was a nice hotel, but couldn't believe how great the overall experience actually was. Our room was on the small side and had no view, but we didn't request one either. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom clean, and the water pressure high. The pool on the roof is very inviting and the views of the city added to the experience. The Carousel Bar Stools actually rotate around the bar and the place was jam packed both Friday and Saturday night. Being with a small convention, we utilized the meeting space and catering. Both were outstanding, especially the service of the wait staff. Also, we arrived around noon and were allowed to check into our room immediately. Things we weren't very satisfied with were the Concierge who gave us bad restaurant advice (Felix's), the elevators which seemed to always be full (even on the 12th Floor), and cell Phones worked sporadically on the lower floors of the building. Overall, great hotel and will definitely stay again!

• Liked — Friendly Service
  • Disliked — Wait for Elevators
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldTraveller1824
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

This is a beautiful, classic hotel. We were able to a deluxe room for $99 a night for a weekend stay through a travelzoo promotion. The room and bathroom were small but very cute. The common areas are also very nice. The location can’t be beat. We ate at Galatoire’s, Acme Oyster House, Johnny’s Po-Boys, Café Fleur De Lis, and Café Du Monde, all of which were very good and within walking distance of the hotel. All of the tourist attractions in the French Quarter were also very convenient. The street in front of the hotel was pretty quiet for the most part. We also enjoyed the hotel's Carousel Piano Bar.

We were very disappointed in the hotel’s breakfast buffet, which was $19 a person and very small. However, it was a nice atmosphere, and the wait staff was very good and addressed us by name. Café Fleur De Lis around the corner offered a cheaper breakfast with huge portions.

We had a non-smoking room, but the bathroom seemed to have a faint smell of cigarette smoke. We moved to a different room and later smelled the same thing in the new bathroom. It seemed to come in through the vents. It was not a strong smell, however, and did not ruin our stay. The other negative was that we left our room early in the morning, came back around 3:00 p.m., and our room was still not cleaned.

However, even with the few negatives, I still really liked this hotel. It is a special place and makes you feel like you are really in New Orleans.

• Liked — Location, unique character
  • Disliked — breakfast buffet
  • Stayed June 2008
2 Thank friscocat
san juan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

Just came back from a 4 day trip to New Orleans, the hotel has an excellent location on a quiet St. just 1 block to Bourbon St., there is a pharmacy and a grocery store next to it. as well as great restaurants Mr. B's, Brennans, ACME oyster house ect. ect. The rooms are small but nicely decorated , clean and with a extra comfy beds.

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

The bed took up most of the room, but it was huge and comfortable! The room looked out over the buildings in the area, which generally speaking, is not the high point of the French Quarter, it's what's inside! The bathrooms were immaculate and marble, good water pressure.
Did not have much interaction with the staff, but I requested turndown service and it was provided immediately. I went back to my room about 5 minutes after making the call and she was already there! Was not ever bothered in the mornings by housekeeping, even on late ones.
Last point - PERFECT location. Very close to everything delicious and good in the French Quarter.

• Liked — location, beds
  • Disliked — paying for internet in the rooms
1 Thank Romy C
Sioux City, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

Old hotel that has been redone. Rooms and bathrooms were smallish but comfortable. Service was very friendly and helpful. Doormen were great! Pool on roof was enjoyable, Room keys didn't work majority of the time (went through 7 of them in 5 days). Missed room service one day but we were in and out repeatedly so it was understandable. Meals were pricey but food was excellent.
In the middle of French Quarter and shops, restaurants and clubs. One block from Canal St and trolley, walking distance to riverfront with Aquarium, casinos, etc. Short cab ride to French Market area. Would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Acoomodations, location, service
  • Disliked — Too many problems with room keys