“Classic Historic Hotel in a Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #6 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Valparaiso, IN
“Classic Historic Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Hotel Monteleone is located right on the edge of the French Quarter which in my opinion is ideal because it is within close walking distance to the nightlife and restaurants as well as the trolley cars but yet far enough away from the party noise. We had a relatively small but very comfortable and recently renovated room on the 7th floor. I concur with some of the other contributors about getting above the 8th floor if you want a view of the river.....we could see just a slice. Our bathroom was very nicely appointed and both my wife and I commented on the shower. I suppose that is not something that people typically rate but this shower deserves mention because it was exceptional.....easy to operate....and the volume and level of water pressure coming out of the shower head was fantastic! My wife didn't want to get out of it! Our queen size bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows.

The Carousel Bar is a must stop.....very cool but be prepared to pay a lot of $ for a martini. You can do what I did and just tell yourself....."I deserve this." The lobby is beautiful and all the employees we had contact with.....the front desk, the conceige,....and the doormen were friendly and provided excellent service. The rooftop pool is very nice and provided a relaxing respite after a long day of walking and allowed us to get our second wind before heading out to dinner and a little fun.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are so glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us during your recent visit to New Orleans with your wife. We are thrilled that you loved your accommodations and shower as well as our location and the Carousel Bar & Lounge. We are happy to hear that our staff was able to enhance your stay with excellent service and hospitality. We appreciate you taking time to share your review with us, and hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,282)
  • Turkish first
kirkland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked two rooms-one for my 87 year old mother and 90 year father and one for me. I called a week ahead of arrival and again three days ahead to ask for rooms nearby. One room on 12 and one on 10 and in separate buildings. Beds are made all bundled and sealed so one assumes a turn down is forthcoming to undo the puzzle. Nope. Do it yourself. Need a turndown? Be a VIP or in a suite or know ahead of time to request it. So we have towels on the bathroom floor and sheets tucked in to save their lives. You need to remake the bed once the comforter is taken off. I asked at the front desk about a turndown and the clerk thought I meant general housekeeping after a night's stay. I asked her if the room service people had some saltines. Absolutely not, was her answer. I went back to the room and called room service and 5 minutes later we had 10 packs of slatines. This is a Holidy Inn, at best. Do not pay more tha $99 for this hotel. NEVER AGAIN. Amtrak is better than this/

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
4 Thank lloyd6973
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to New Orleans and stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review. We greatly value your patronage, and do hope that you will reconsider your impression of Hotel Monteleone and allow us another opportunity to display to you the level of service and hospitality on which our reputation is based.
Calistoga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I booked three rooms at the Hotel Monteleone for the weekend. The first two rooms were located on the second floor. Do not stay on this level! My boys said that they could hear the bar noise until 4 am, and from there on traffic noises surfaced. The next morning they requested upper level rooms (level 12) and were accommodated thank goodness. At check in, I was informed that I had been upgraded to a suite (I originally booked the royal salon). Well, I was very excited about this until I entered my room. I threw back the curtains, and to my dismay was a lovely view of a construction sight! Yuk!! Don't stay in room 480! On top of it, the room was located at the end of the hallway stuck in a corner. I felt like I was staying in the broom closet! These were all booked as "preferred" rooms which were suppose to be located on the upper levels. Not so. On the up side to this review, the service we received was excellent. The food at dinner in the restaurant we enjoyed (my son especially liked the filet), and the hotel is centrally located to most everything. But overall, I think I will try somewhere else on my next trip to NOLA! Let the good times roll!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to share your review of your recent stay with us. We regret to hear that your stay was disrupted by noise and your did not thoroughly enjoy your accommodations during your stay. We are happy to know that our staff was able to provide you with excellent service and that you enjoyed dining in our restaurant Criollo. We value your patronage and do hope to see you again upon your next visit to New Orleans.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had an all-too-brief stay at the Hotel Monteleone last weekend. The property is beautiful, staff (particularly Meghan, Vijay and Gerald) were all top-notch and the location is where you want to be in New Orleans. Plan to return very soon and spend more time here and NOLA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are thrilled to hear that Meghan, Vijay and Gerald were able to make your stay extra special. We appreciate you taking time out to share your review with us here, and do hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!
Thomasville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

They had our booking wrong so we had to move rooms in the middle of our trip. There was no refund or anything offered in place of this. On vacation, I can't eat giant meals all day every days so we walked a block to the pharmacy store to purchase some yogurt. Returning to the hotel I realized we needed spoons. They sent me to 4 different places the last place finally saying (in a very snobbish tone), "We only give you a spoon if you order room service. We cannot give you a spoon." Then we tried to arrange a tour to one of the plantations which was complete fail. The man stopped to talk to multiple other people to help them in the middle of us trying to book our tour. I finally said never mind and went elsewhere. The rooms are ok, nothing special. They are mostly clean (but they are old so not completely). The only thing we enjoyed in this hotel was their restaurant. It was actually quite nice. I believe it is called Criollo. The location is also very nice. One street from Bourbon making it much quieter but close to all you want to see.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary S
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.Your comments are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review. I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I should have written this review a long time ago! Here goes! First of all, I didn't pick this hotel. I stayed here with a large group of people. We had 3 rooms. I stayed in 1 of the rooms with 2 other people. Well, the room was tiny and the bed was really short and I am not tall. Yes, I do understand this is a historic hotel located in the heart of the French Quarter. We stayed here in December 2009. I was here for a Saints game and stayed here 1 night, while the other guests stayed 3 nights. Unfortunately, I arrived first and was asked for a credit card for incidentals, even though the reservation was not in my name. I thought, no problem. I know that this is standard hotel policy. It was actually one of the guests in my party that kindly offered to pay for all 3 rooms, which I happily accepted. My car was valet parked. I thought the morning I checked out that they would never find my car! Very aggravating, considering you are paying about $40 per day for valet parking. I checked out the next morning and the front desk staff was polite and no one there mentioned anything about any charges, since they were aware that the other guest was footing the bill. Then in January 2010 I received a bill for $570! You gotta be kidding me! I spoke to the guest who paid the bill and said she took care of the entire bill. So why was I charged? I called the hotel's accounting department and explained this to them, but they were adamant that they were right and I was wrong! Finally the guest who actually paid the bill spoke to them and straightened this out and finally my credit card was credited the $570! But I NEVER received an apology from the accounting department or the hotel's manager! This is completely and totally unacceptable! I will never ever stay here again. Too bad, since I come to New Orleans very frequently. Oh well, you had a chance to make this right and you refused. To all the other tourists out there, there are much better French Quarter hotels you can stay at that are also in a great location! Please be selective!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
14 Thank A N
Thank you for taking time out to share your review with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you endured during your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone. I am appalled that we failed so poorly in our responsibility to you as our guest. There simply is no excuse for the inconveniences you experienced. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management for review. I hope you will reconsider your impression of Hotel Monteleone and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is established and which you have every right to expect.
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a very large room, on the top floor of the hotel, with a view out over all of New Orleans! The beds were good, sheets were nice, room was very clean. The windows were very spotted, don't know if it was dirt or just old age. Loved the location, at the edge of the French Quarter, and the fact that they have a parking garage was great, as we were there for a couple days getting our son packed up from college. Loved being so close to everything! The rooftop pool is fantastic! It's not real big, but it's quite a lively group up there every day, and the bar makes it more so!! Great views over the city, lots of chairs and sunlight. They have fan/misters for when it's really hot there in the summer. It was in the upper 80's when we were there, and of course had one of New Orleans' famous thunder storms on our last day!!! Our bathroom was extremely small, with the toilet jutting out at an angle into it, so every time I left the bathroom, I slammed my left knee into it!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us during your trip to help your son pack up from college. We are so happy you enjoyed our rooftop pool and our location in the New Orleans french quarter. We appreciate you taking the time out to share your review here, and hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!