“Now our go-to hotel in the quarter”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #10 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“Now our go-to hotel in the quarter”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

In the past, we avoided this place because of its appearance from a distance. It is tall and appears like it may be in need of renovation. We were wrong and this is now our goto hotel in the quarter.
It meets our expectations in every way. It is perfectly located unless you want to hoof it to Frenchmen Street and back in the wee small hours; it's at the other end of the quarter. We particularly like the front desk attitude which is helpful, friendly and personal. We get rooms that are exactly what we need - quiet, comfy and well equipped. For the first time we stayed in an historic Quarter hotel (check out the famous writers who made the Monteleone their home in the Quarter) with no comprise in comfort. The showers work, the beds are comfortable, roof pool terrific. Staff are helpful. It feels like a one-off hotel and not one of those chain hotels that is run by computers and robots like, say, the Sheraton Four Points in the Quarter. (see review)

Room Tip: Tell them Hemingway and Fitzgerald recommended them because they did.
1 Thank OldTSP
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We are so glad to hear you had such a wonderful visit to New Orleans and stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We're happy you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, our location to be ideal and our accommodations enjoyable. We appreciate you taking time out to share your review here with us, and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Turkish first
Merrick, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel is lacking service and detail . For the room rate and reputation we expected alot more.
There was an air of annoyance at any requests for anything. Location is good but there are plenty of other choices . Would not reccomend this hotel no one seemed to care .

Room Tip: Try the omni or Bienville
1 Thank Que w
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and we apologize. We appreciate your honest feedback. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review. We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Jackson, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in April and had a great stay. Room isn't large but very cozy and comfortable. The decor is very nice and elegant. The location is fantastic, it provides the ability to walk most places. They were able to hold our luggage before we checked in which was a plus. The only small mishap we had which was minor was that my husband left his sunglasses on a couch in the lobby and literally called e front desk two minutes after we walked out. When he called no one seemed to want to help. He asked several different people to go look and he was transferred all over the place. By the time he got someone to look the glasses were "gone." I would still highly recommend the hotel tho!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking time out to share your feedback of your recent stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad to hear you so thoroughly enjoyed your visit and found your accommodations and our location to be excellent. We regret to hear about the issue you had with your husband's sunglasses and we apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the service of those who you spoke with. This has been brought to the attention of our management team for review. We are so glad you had such a wonderful stay overall. We appreciate your patronage, and do hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans!
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Overall, I had a pleasant stay at Hotel Monteleone and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I liked the location - close enough to the action, but not too close. Within walking distance of almost everything and being only 2-3 blocks from Jackson Square was a plus.

It became evident that I didn't read enough reviews regarding room location...and requesting a room with a view of the Mississippi. My room was on the 11th floor and faced a brick wall with windows (the other side of the hotel) - I couldn't see anything else, which was a bit of a disappointment...but again, I think if I requested a room with a view, I might have gotten one.

The room itself was very nice and well-equipped with everything you might need. Beds were very comfortable, towels soft, robes provided. It was very very clean (immaculate even) and I couldn't find anything that housekeeping missed.

Don't miss the rooftop pool - definitely worth a visit even if you don't plan on swimming. There is a lounge area to the side that allows you to relax with a book in private. And the bar serves cocktails for most of the day.

I only ate at the hotel restaurant once - for breakfast buffet - which was on the pricey side. No way I could eat $24 worth of breakfast. But the food and service was very good.

I did order room service one night and I would say it was one of the mishaps of my stay. Ordered a burger and they quoted a time of 45 minutes - about an hour later, I called and said it was one the way - it arrived about 20 minutes later. So total wait time for room service was well over an hour - which seemed a bit long, especially when you are hungry from sightseeing all day. I would recommend getting a burger at the bar rather than waiting for room service.

The other mishap was the fire alarm going off at 2:30 in the morning. It went off for about 20 minutes while someone from security banged on doors asking if anyone was smoking in their room. Then it went off again the next morning at 8:00 am. I received a letter under my door apologizing for the inconvenience.

The hotel was very busy, including the restaurants and bars. As a solo traveler, I didn't feel as safe as I normally do staying at a hotel because of the amount of people coming in and out. However, every staff person I encountered was very nice and helpful and overall I had a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room for a view if you want one!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ckthomas00
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your recent visit to New Orleans and stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, accommodations and our rooftop pool area. Thank you for your feedback on room service delivery time. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our management team for review. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Elkins Park
Reviewed April 29, 2013

You can't beat the location of the Monteleone -- right in the heart of the French Quarter. Unfortunately, my wife & I were very disappointed with the bed.

We stayed in a King room which was cozy but offered enough room. The mattress I can only describe as "bouncy." It felt spring loaded. When either of us moved (rolling over in the night) the whole bed would shake. We woke each other up again and again.

Even if the bed was defective and not representative of the hotel, the rest of the bedding was lacking. The pillows were TINY. Smaller even than pillows you'd see on a twin bed. They were about the size of throw pillows for a small couch, and seemed about half filled. We were provided 4 (2 each) and no extras in the closet as you would expect in most hotels. They squished down so quickly that they provided no neck support at all. That led to a lot of tossing and turning -- see problem #1 with the bouncy bed!

The sheets were very scratchy -- low quality. There was also no comforter, just an extra quilt that could be pulled up. A 4-star hotel with cheap linens! Unbelievable.

We had other issues with the hotel: a server at the Carousel bar took 20 minutes to bring us our drinks, the toilet was industrial like what you might find at a rest stop, our view was onto a roof construction site, and the maid service came at odd hours (ranging from 11am to 4pm during our stay). But by far the biggest problem was the uncomfortable bed. For a 4 star property, I expect a very comfortable night's sleep. It was a major blemish on an otherwise fun vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your accommodations, and had issue with service time in the Carousel Bar. We have sent you a private message to inquire about which room number you stayed in so we can attempt to remedy the situation with the bed and linens. We appreciate your honest feedback and wish to use it to provide a better experience for our guests. We hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Monteleone as I always do while visiting in New Orleans. The last stay was during the French Quarter Festival in April 11-14. You have my review of The Monteleone which is always stellar but I want to address this last visit. All of my requests were met including early check-in and 14th floor room facing the Mississippi River. I was in the quarter the night that the storm with torrential rain and lightning passed through the area. I noticed that I was without hot water the next day but my room was still comfortable. I later found out that a transformer had been hit by lightning and power was out until further notice. The personnel continued to work at the Carrousel Bar along with the bellhops, the maids, the doormen, the managers and everyone employed by the hotel without complaint and in a professional manner. Customers were moved to other hotels for their convenience and reimbursed. I was allowed to stay as it was my last night in the hotel and I was also reimbursed for that night for the inconvenience. I appreciate this as it would have been more of an inconvenience for me to move. My room was not uncomfortable and I had television and running water and of course the beautiful Monteleone. It is all relative; the night of the storm homeless people were in the streets seeking shelter from the storm with its lightning. We are the fortunate ones to endure a slight inconvenience. The Grand Dame is always my first and only choice.

Room Tip: Preferred room on high floor facing the Mississippi.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We appreciate your patience and understanding during the weather-related power outage. We are so glad to hear that had a wonderful stay and found our staff to be helpful and friendly during the issue. We truly appreciate your patronage and do hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We loved our stay here. The rooms are small but adorable, and the restaurant downstairs is amazing. They offer a delicious brunch with friendly service. The rooftop workout room and pool was amazing as well, and all of the food that came out of the full service poolside bar looked so good. In the evenings one can sit in the revolving carousel bar and listen to the jazz band. It was nice to have this place so close to our room for a nightcap or a leisurely brunch after a workout. The only thing I had wished for would have been thicker walls...I could hear someone snoring in the next room one night! I would definitely go back, though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are thrilled to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us as well as our fitness center, rooftop pool, Carousel Bar & Lounge and Criollo restaurant. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!