“A great location”

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #9 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
“A great location”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My wife and I and 2 kids stayed at the Hotel Monteleone on a recent trip to New Orleans. The location is great and I wanted to stay in an old hotel to capture the real vibe of the French Quarter. The decor and facade of the building is beautiful however our room was small and tired but perhaps in keeping with the "theme". The Carousel bar was great but if you don't get there early you won't get a seat. I think there should be a rule that you have to consume at least one drink for each revolution of the bar or you have to give your seat up. It does move slowly so this should be achievable. All the staff were very friendly and keen to help. Would recommend The Monteleone for couples but perhaps not for families.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Panky71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Turkish first
Surrey,England
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed for four nights as part of an extended trip to southern USA. What a disappointment. We had paid for a 'preferred king' room which was on a high floor and overlooked the river. However it and the ensuite bathroom were extremely small given the cost we paid.
Whilst we had been aware that the restaurant was being refurbished we did not expect it to be as disruptive. Breakfast was accompanied by the sound of building work on the other side of the curtain partition. Again given the cost the hotel failed to meet our expectations.
To date we have stayed in twelve different hotels during our trip. The Montelone was the only one to charge for wifi access. I believe the charge was $9.99 per night was appalling given the rate we were paying for the room and we refused to use it.
Finally we had an urgent package mailed to us at the hotel. We informed the hotel in advance, then enquired at the desk, when there was no message regarding its arrival following our return to the hotel from dinner, to be told there was no parcel for us. We contacted the sender who cofirmed that it had been delivered and signed for by the hotel twelve hours earlier. They then contacted the hotel direct who indeed confirmed the parcel had arrived and was at reception. We went to reception to be told that according to their computer system there was no parcel for us. By this time we were extremely frustrated and insisted that the reception staff make a physical inspection, given that we knew it was in their possession. Needless to say the parcel was sitting at the end of the reception area. My wife got a very patronising apology from the male receptionist which futher upset us. I asked to see a manager and was approached by someone who I assumed to the the duty manager who stated that they ' would look into it'. We heard nothing futher from the hotel management until I informed reception at check out how badly we felt we had been treated. Their offer to refer us to the duty manager was refused because at that point we just wanted to leave the hotel and forget about the whole experience.
In summary this hotel is in a great position for visiting New Orleans. However it focuses on the mass market, catering for the needs of convention delegates, and on the basis of our experience does not attach importance to individual travellers. We felt we had been processed rather than cared for during our stay.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Spencer007
, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Spencer007,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We apologize for the noise during the construction of our restaurant. We tried to keep disruption to a minimum as we continue to improve our hotel offerings. Construction is now complete and the restaurant remains calm and noise-free now.

Your remarks about the package are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I really enjoyed my recent stay at Hotel Monteleone. I had a standard king size room, which was plenty of space for 1-2 people. The location of the room was away from the street side, so it was quiet and peaceful. The Carousel Bar was great - although I never got an opportunity to actually sit at the bar....it was always full! The hotel is easy walking distance from everything in the quarter. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms opposite of Royal Street will be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jy5457
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed two nights in this hotel. I won't contest that the rooms are lovely, the bathrooms have marble, and the building is gorgeous. But the hotel lacks three of the main features I want in a hotel: comfort; a good night's sleep; and high quality service. In regard to comfort, my room was quite possibly the smallest hotel room I have ever seen - even smaller than the hotels I have visited in NY city. I had a "double" room, which is just big enough to fit one double bed, though you can only get into the bed from one side because it's so close to the wall on the other side. The bathroom is so small the shower curtain actually hung over the sink. I had no where to put my toiletries because the bathroom sink was so small, and the tiny shelf that they I might have used was directly over the toilet. I was having visions of my toothbrush taking a splash. The good news was that the bed was comfortable, so I was looking forward to a good night's sleep. Alas, that was impossible due to the noise that comes up from the road. I could hear everything that was going on, from cars passing by, to trucks backing up, to people talking and laughing. With its location in the French Quarter, the noise continued all night. On the second night, I had the added noise of my smoke alarm (which was very loud) going off repeatedly. I had to call the front desk two times before they contacted the maintenance department to come up, and then the maintenance department called me before they sent someone up because their monitors showed no activity. When the guy finally came up, he asked if I had been smoking (no, I am not a smoker), and then he stood on my bed to get to the smoke alarm, which he removed rather than repairing. I'm really glad I didn't actually need it later that night. As for service, which everyone else seems to think is excellent, I received no apology for the alarm going off. In fact, I saw very little service the entire time I was at the hotel. For example, I saw no bell man to help get my luggage up the steps when I first arrived. When I checked out, I planned to talk about how displeased I was with how they handled the smoke alarm situation and hoped they would redeem themselves in the service area. I thought I was going to have the opportunity when I was asked if I enjoyed my stay, but when I said no, she responded by handing me my receipt and walking away. I briefly thought about asking for a manager but ultimately decided it probably wasn't worth wasting my time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Luvtravels33
Dear ,

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent visit at the Hotel Monteleone.

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable space to stay while visiting New Orleans. We ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans’ old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

We regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and we apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management for review.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I've stayed at 3 -4 hotels in the French Quarter over the years, but this is the place I keep coming back too. Their desk service is excellent. The rooms are lovely, the bathrooms have lots of marble and are stocked with quality personal hygiene items. The Carousel Bar is famous; and a must stop for at least one drink. It is centrally located on Rue Royal for great antique shopping, and just a block from Rue Bourbon for "partying the night away". The hotel has two or three restaurants , but there are SO many excellent restaurants in the Quarters that I usually eat out, except for the occasional room service. I like going around Mid December for Christmas shopping on Rue Royal, and the Monteleone often has special discount rates "Santa Poppa Xmas" at that time of year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mayalavender
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. It's right in the heart of the French Quarter but 2 blocks away from Bourbon St so you don't get any of the noise at night. I had a room with 2 queen beds which was a good size and the bathroom looked newly renovated. It was clean and neat. The lobby is beautifully restored in a 18th-19th century design with antique furniture. Wi-Fi was $9.95 per day. Customer service was consistently good. We tried to go to the Carousel Bar after dinner a few times but there were no tables so I'd advise going early if you want to get a seat in the bar.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

Renovating one of these historic New Orleans hotels is always a risky proposition. How do you update the facilities and retain the old world charm? The Monteleone has accomplished the task. The lobby sparkles and radiates an energy that no doubt stems in part by the legendary Carousel Bar which has been recently expanded. This world famous watering hole has been featured in writing by authors such as Ernest Hemingway and Roy Blount and has to rank as one of the world's top ten bars. The guest rooms are smallish but well-appointed with large marble and granite bathrooms. I was on the 10th floor with a view of French Quarter roof tops. The prima donna in me would have liked 100% cotton sheets and a magnifying mirror in the bath but these are minor quibbles. I can't find much fault with a hotel that celebrates New Orleans' literary past with suites named after Eudora Welty, Truman Capote and Tenessee Williams.

Stayed May 2012