“Excellence in the Big Easy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #8 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
philadelphia
“Excellence in the Big Easy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

The Hotel Monteleone is a classic, New Orleans hotel, perfectly situated in the French Quarter. The rooms were of good size and the king bed was actually a king bed; (we measured it!) Too often hotels list rooms with king sized beds but you get the feeling that it is really a queen plus. This bed was the real deal; the mattress a little too soft for my liking, but it did not prevent me from sleeping well.

The service was pure southern hospitality (even though a lot of the lobby staff seemed to be from Eastern Europe). The housekeeping staff was great. The room was made up perfectly and even items that were left strewn about were neatly folded and placed on a chair. Even the toiletries in the bathroom were laid out on a towel and aligned perfectly.

The Carousel Bar was definitely a highlight. The seating area around the bar actually rotates 360 degrees every 15 minutes. You don't even realize that you're moving. On top of this, the bartenders were spot on, no matter what drink you ordered. And although the prices were hotel high, you did get what you paid for.

O.K. That was the good news...now for a little of the bad. We stayed at the Monteleone from October 24th and checked out on the 29th, 2011. I can't review the restaurants since they were all closed for renovation. In itself, this wasn't so bad as you got to experience a lot of the local fare in the Quarter. The problem was; noise, Noise, NOISE. Our room was on the 15th floor (highest room floor) and every morning, just about 7:00AM, the hammering and drilling started. We ended up complaining every morning and the noise was quickly shut down, but the damage was done. Yes, we did receive free drink coupons every day, but a little more sleep would have been more appreciated. So, if you're expecting a quiet room, do yourself a favor; either skip the Monteleone until after renovations are completed, or I would suggest a lower floor. Since we really liked the Hotel, go for the lower floor and enjoy the experience.

Ordinarily, this would be the end of the review. However, I'm a little too lazy to do separate reviews and I wanted to give people an idea of the great restaurants, shopping, etc. we were able to enjoy while in town.

The French Quarter - This section of New Orleans has everything you could possible hope for in one location. Bring soft shoes because you will be doing a lot of walking. Royal Street is loaded with antique shops and art galleries. You can literally spend an entire afternoon just walking up and down Royal Street. ****Beware - Stores open at their leisure and except for the tacky tourist shops, most do not open their doors before 10:30AM and close by 6:00PM. The Art Galleries are loaded with local artists, some of which are really talented. I have never seen a greater collection of 'weird' or 'voodoo' art in my life. Really cool! The Antique Shops are, well, antiquie. If you're into that, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Bourbon Street - I guess that your level of appreciation is directly correlated to your age. This street runs for about 5 blocks and is pretty much where all the action is at night. There are 4 types of establishments that occupy Bourbon; Restaurants, Bars, Tourist Shops and Strip Clubs. It is also one of the few places I have ever been where they advertise 'Drinks to Go'. It is legal to walk down the Street, getting plastered. I guess that's why the Strip Clubs are doing so well. My Wife and I enjoyed Bourbon Street for, I guess, around 1 1/2 blocks. We both had headaches by the time we turned off the Street. Not that I didn't like the music; the problem being that every other place had live music and it kept rolling around in your brain. The better thing to do is to pick out one place and park your tush there for awhile to really enjoy the sounds. Other than that, watching people stumbling down the street with drinks in both hands was not exactly eye-pleasing. And some of the women hawking the strip clubs?; I've seen better T&A at Wallmart!

Restaurants - Here is where the French Quarter really shines. Be prepared to spend some hard cash, but the food is out of this world. *****Note***** There are some lesser priced restaurants in the area, but you really have to search them out. I'm listing below the ones we ate in and the cost for 2 people. ***Also beware that their tax is outrageous; bordering on 10%.

Felix's Restaurant - Forget Acme's. That's the place all the tourists go to.There are always long lines at Acme's and the prices are high!!!! Felix's is directly across the street (739 Iberville St.) and has absolutely the best oysters around. Well, I shouldn't say that since everyone's oysters come from the same place. But get this.. A dozen of these beauties at Acme's will cost close to 15$; at Felix's, only $11.50. Get the point? Also, the char-grilled oysters are to die for...They cost more ($9.95 for 6) but worth every pretty penny. Their bread pudding is to die for; warm and with a whiskey-based sauce ($5.00) On Wednesdays, you get a free draft when you order a dozen oysters. And the staff is great; outgoing, friendly and helpful.

The Marigny Brasserie - This place is a little out of the way; at 640 Frenchmen Street. Take a cab. I had the fried chicken which is one of their specialties. It is Crispy, to say the least and the pieces barely fit onto a large plate. Share it with someone since you won't be able to finish it. My better half had the BBQ shrimp and grits (another house favorite), This was the first time I tasted Grits and actually enjoyed them. Dinner for two - $62.00 including tip.

Antoines - Make sure you have room on the credit card 'cause this baby will cost ya. The grandest of the grand restaurants in New Orleans as well as the oldest. I wanted to go there after watching one of Emiril's shows. It included Antoine's and a dish he really enjoyed. He was spot on. The dish is referred to as Pompano Pontchartain and it is simply outrageous; a fillet of pompano (lightly breaded and pan seared), topped with loads of crab meat. OMG - heaven on a plate.We also had an appetizer of breaded oysters with this sauce (didn't need it) and a nice salad. For dessert, we had the Baked Alaska. At $16.50 (yes, that much) it was listed as dessert for two. Yeah right! It could have fed us and the two tables nearby. As a special treat, they flambe' it for me (my birthday present). The tab was , you ready? $120.00 including tip..and this was just 1 appetizer, 1 salad, 1 entree and dessert. Our most expensive meal, but really well worth it. It's a pleasure to sit at a table with white cloths and tuxedo dressed servers who are well versed in their field and really enjoy making sure that your experience is a great one.

Olivier's - You will not find this place in any of the guides. We were directed there by one of the bartenders at the Monteleone. Good choice; Great Food. Only a couple of blocks from the hotel. My wife had Creole Rabbit and this was out of this world. I was in the mood for meat (carnivore that I am) and had one of the most tender Rib-Eyes I have ever had. Cooked perfectly to medium rare. Make reservations..This is a smaller restaurant and fills up quickly. Dinner with one drink and tip - $75.00

American Sector - This is one of John Besh's places and is inside the National WWII museum. We went there for lunch and had a great time. The restaurant is themed in the 1940's and the food is served in tins, cans, etc. Done really well. We didn't go into the museum proper but it seemed like a cool place to spend a couple of hours. The restaurant is worth it. We had Rabbit pate', with celery root slaw and horseradish and for the main course, we shared Pork Cheeks. Yes, pork cheeks. They were out of sight, so tender and tasty and they came with black-eyed peas and corn bread. The servers were all dressed in the outfits of the times and, once again, were extremely friendly and out-going. Total bill around $40.00 including tip.

Best dining surprise? Fried Green Tomatoes. Honestly.

Finally, one of the cooler things we did was to take a cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking. It only costs $29.00/person and is well worth the visit. You're seated at tables of 8-10 and they take around 100 people at a time. This was an open lunch class and started at 10:00AM and ended up around 12:30PM. Our 'instructor' was Aunt Sandra and what a character. This woman talked non-stop the entire session, while she was cooking the whole time. She was great, giving us a history of New Orleans, the foods, etc. After each course was finished, food was served. We had a creamy artichoke and shrimp soup, crawfish etouffee, bread pudding and pralines. Everything was delicious. There is not a better way to spend 2 1/2 hours!.

Overall, I would rate our trip a 9.5 out of 10. We had a fantastic time. Yes, sometimes you couldn't tell the homeless from the tourists, but hey...that's true in a lot of cities. New Orleans is on the mend welcomes all with open arms.

Room Tip: Stay away from the top floors during renovation.
1 Thank gao1014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,296)
  • Turkish first
Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

The staff were all personable, solicitous and helpful. The rooms were small, but well appointed and maintained and included a refrigereator and a safe. The location was just perfect, in easy walking distance of everything in the French Quarter and beyond into the American section. The restaurants were being renovated while we were ther, but there were numererous restaurants, including some famous ones, quite near by. The concierge service was quite helpful in providing recommendations for us. I was there for a business conference at the hotel, and the Monteloene manged their end marvelously, with excellent set-ups for the conference, meals, banquet and registration -- and the banquet food was first class. With multople additonas and renovations over many years, the layout took some getting used to the first 2 days, but felt quite comfortable thereafter. Some better space with some small tables and chairs for short business meetings with contacts made would have made this perfect -- on the other hand, thre was enough spce for the organizers to have contracted for that, so perhaps they are the ones to be dunned on that count. If you are there on business, definitely bring the spouse -- she (or he) will love the place.

Room Tip: Don't rent a car, take a taxi or shuttle from the airport -- and walk. The 3 elevator banks are...
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

This is a cool, old hotel in the heart of the French Quarter with a lot of charm but the renovations woke me up every morning even though we were on te 10th floor. We stayed in a preferred room which was smaller than the average hotel room in NOLA. The bathroom is especially tiny and uncomfortable with poor lighting. The HVAC system in our room was not under our control and led to our room remaining a chilly 60 degrees no matter what temperature we set the thermostat to. The Carousel Bar was unique but a little too small to accommodate the guests. The free breakfast was inadequate and did not make up for having an operating restaurant. The pool area is very nice with poolside drink and food service and the gym was adequate. Housekeeping was good and service throughout the hotel was fair.

Room Tip: Request a high floor to minimize noise.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We didn't have a bad stay at Hotel Monteleone but we'll probably stick with Omni Royal Crescent in the future. We weren't impressed with the size of our room or it's decor. Other than that, it was a pretty decent stay. The place is clean and the staff is friendly. It's definitely in a great location.

• Stayed August 2011
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

This Hotel went out of their way to provide excellent service. This is a historic hotel with lots of character right in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Great roof top pool, exercise room and spa.

The hotel was in the last stages of renovations so there were some restaurant services not available, but they compensated with a great complementary breakfast. When the renovations are done, this hotel should have excellent dining areas. There are dozens of excellent restaurants, shops and attractions within walking distance of the hotel.

I was there for business, and we found the meeting rooms to be very good. All the resources we needed to conduct business were provided without any problems at all.

The Hotel is surrounded by narrow busy streets, with lots of pedestrian traffic. I would not recommend trying to bring your car there... Parking is expensive, and once you are there, there is no need to have a car. You can walk anywhere you want in minutes, and there are Taxis available all the time.

I stayed in a standard room with two double beds. The hotel is historic so the rooms are not huge, but they have been upgraded with marble bathroom fixtures. All the amenities are available in the room. High speed internet is available at a fairly pricy cost. Our business planner negotiated the internet into the room charge. Otherwise the highspeed service was over $15 per day. That seems pretty expensive to me. I'm used to that being a free service.

One other thing to consider... this hotel is one block off Bourbon Street... There are musicians playing on the street right next to the hotel... and pedestrian traffic all night long... lots of partying going on until late in the morning 3-4am. My room was only 3 floors up and there was lots of music and noise from the street. So this isn't the hotel for a quiet retreat. Maybe a room in the 14th or 15th floor would be quieter. The rooftop pool and courtyard was however a great retreat spot... a quiet place set apart from the hub-bub.

Room Tip: Try to get a room up higher... maybe quieter. Lots of partying, street musicians, etc. at street le...
Tyler, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Monteleone again last week and it was a great stay, as usual. The downside with this trip was that the restaurants were closed for remodeling (we knew about it before we made the reservation). Even so, the hotel provided a complementary continental breakfast in a big meeting room each morning, so it worked out fine. The staff is the best. Raoul was our bellman both on check in and check out. Nice man who has worked there for decades and who always remembers my name. Lucille is my waitress and she's the same, she always remembers us and seems genuinely happy to see us again.

Our requested room was not available when checked in, so our first night didn't have a river view, which we always request (the hotel was fully booked), so the next day they moved us to a river view room in the western side of the hotel. Not quite as nice a view as other rooms we've had, but we could see the big bend in the river and watch the ships and barges coming and going. The room was comfortable and everything worked well. There are new bathrooms in this section with the toilet mounted at a diagonal so the door would clear, a little odd, but functional.

The famous Carousel Bar was open but was reduced in size by the renovations, but as I understand it, it will be back to its original size after construction with a lighter decor as differentiated from the piano lounge that was there before. They'll have some more window seats which I enjoy. Great spot for people watching on Royal St. The bartenders did their magic and kept the place going with excellent cocktails, even with special requests. Try a Sazerac.

I had a massage at Spa Aria and was very pleased with the service.

I consider the Monteleone my home when I visit New Orleans and I'll continue to stay there every time I visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor river view room.
1 Thank rkoonce
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

What a perfect place to enjoy the French Quarter! This was my husband's first time in New Orleans, and this was an ideal place to stay! Clean, convenient, wonderful bed, and extremely friendly service. It is pricey, but the safety and convenience make it worth it. The bar looked awesome, but was always packed! Not an issue since the town is crawling with bars... Was unable to take them up on food/room service, as it was under construction. For the location, cleanliness, and staff service in that part of town, it was a fair price.

Do note that it is RIGHT by the action, so don't expect to have a silent atmosphere at 3AM the closer you are to the Royal street (we were only on the 3rd floor), so consider asking for a higher floor. Also, the elevators are S-L-O-W, so don't be in too much of a hurry...

Those are MINOR things... would definately come back. Would just ask for the 10th floor!

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 5th floor to help mute out some of the street noise!