“Great little hotel”

Ranked #87 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Tallahassee, Florida
“Great little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at The Lafayette to attend a friend's wedding. The staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel, which one concierge calls The Lady, is being refurbished little by little. Our room was huge compared to others I've been in. And it's in a very walkable area. If you want modern gadgetry and digital everything in the middle of Bourbon St., this isn't for you. But if you want a comfortable room where you can relax and actually enjoy your vacation, I would recommend the Lafayette. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room not facing St . Charles. The hotel is on a trolley rou...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank MauraPC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

A great hotel and awesome staff that will do anything to help your stay the best! ! The streetcars were right out in front the hotel adding to the awesomeness of our New Orleans experience! Would love to stay there again!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lenny V
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The valet service was awful driving our car with the emergency brakes on the manager was stupid and the restaurant was closed never staying here again. Laundry service never came to pick up the clothes we had to take them down stairs. Service in this place sucks

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara S
mcharlesnola, Owner at The Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Hotel provided excellent services - including valet, room and otherwise. Went to great lengths to satisfy guest issues, but impossible for some reason, not sure why. Sorry this guest was unable to enjoy the wonderful guest experiences we typically offer.
Gulfport, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We just stayed at The Lafayette Hotel and had reserved for one night only. My wife and I were worried about the stay due to some of the negative reviews we read but decided to book anyway at the last minute and now we are so glad we did. First, I must say that the staff was just super! Everybody is so nice and friendly and VERY Pet Friendly! We had booked a suite and were traveling with our fur baby. There was a $50.00 pet cleaning fee which is fair considering some hotels charge $100.00 per stay along with a daily pet charge as well. When we arrived the suite was ready and we were able to check-in a bit earlier then the official check-in time. The staff offered our fur kid some goodies and treats (which she was happy to take) and we were assigned to our room. I had requested a high floor and a room without a connecting door (I personally can't stand a connecting door room when I travel). I received what I had requested and was told in fact that the room was just about the quietest room in the hotel (and it was quiet). The 2 room suite was very large and had a wet bar with a nice little refrigerator, 2 new flat screen TV's, new carpeting and a new queen size bed. The thermostat was set for 72 and the room was cool and comfortable. The room itself was very clean. There were a couple of very minor cosmetic issues (i.e. missing soap dish in shower) which I think will be addressed as room updates continue. Since the hotel is an older property you may find a "quirk" or two but nothing that will spoil your trip (the shower for example - which all became very funny to us while trying to figure out how to get it to turn on and then had to ask the front desk staff for help) just adds to the charm of this hotel. The particular suite we had has no "view" outside except to look out onto another building but I could care less about that. I was not there for the view. I needed quiet especially while traveling with a pet and I got exactly what we asked for. There is a very nice park right next door to the hotel so talking your pet out to "do their thing" is very easy (the park even has "comfort stations" where you can get poop bags if you need them). You will also see other people out for a walk with their pets as well. All in all I think this is a great, small hotel with a lot of charm and a great and friendly staff. I wish we had been able to stay the entire weekend but will be booking here for future visits to NOLA. The Lafayette Hotel is a gem and served our needs perfectly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We had a suite on the 5th floor. This is definitely one of the quietest rooms/hotels we have ever stayed in. High ceilings, windows on the sides. .... just lovely. Parking is expensive but that's the case everywhere you go. Staff was nice and friendly.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shon P
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at the Lafayette in about 9 months. The first time around we had a wonderful room - and relatively few and very minor complaints. This time I was actually sad to see that what could potentially be an AWESOME hotel was drawing up short! My suggestions to the Hotel are as follows: Tell your valet to stop eating at his desk (every time I saw him he was shoveling food down), ask the valet to remove the towel or whatever it was from around his neck. The staff should all be properly groomed and attired (including a SMILE) if you want the hotel to set the right tone. Repaint the marks on the door, go room to room and make a list of the little things that are marred, broken or missing. Use nicer towels - this isn't a motel 6. Invest some money in good staff and maintenance of your facility. You have a GEM right under your nose and if you invest the resources necessary you could double your room rates. It is a fantastic location near so many things including great restaurants! I will say that while I was there the hotel had a lot of new furnishings delivered. I will go back again for personal reasons and I hope that I find my room in better repair, fresh paint, new furnishings etc.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 211 - it is close to the elevators and is missing the drapes on one window. I...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Marla J
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The hotel, room, and bathroom are accessible and a block and a half from the federal courthouse. If you use a chair you will need the staff to move the bed over away from the wall and ask for a shower chair for the bath tub. Other than that, the room is ready to use and the hotel has great, friendly staff. Every single person was extremely helpful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business