“Great location”

Ranked #95 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
vancouver, bc
“Great location”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at the Lafayette Hotel for five nights before a Carniical Cruise .
The suite was a one bedroom with King bed, refidge, and cofee maker.
The front desk staff "Johanna" was excellent. On return from the cruise the Hotel kept our luggage.while we went to the Frech Quarter.
The door man told us about a deli / grocery stor 2 blocks away, very good chep crawfish.
The cab he called had a broken front window and no air conditioning?
This is a good hotel for the price and location.I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Top floor king suite no adjoing room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We loved our stay at the Lafayette Hotel, no doubt in part because we were upgraded to a corner suite. The floor to ceiling windows, wraparound balcony and older furniture reminded me of French hotels, but the view of Lafayette Square and Gallier Hall, combined with the gentle rumble of the St. Charles streetcar, told me I could be in nowhere else but New Orleans. Because I was there with a group, I did see several other rooms and small suites. All were very generously sized. As mentioned in a number of reviews, the French Quarter is about a 10-minute walk. The Ogden Museum of Southern Art is just a few blocks away, as is the National WWII Museum. The streetcar stop for the Garden District and Tulane is just across the street. My meetings took me to a number of large hotels, all within walking distance and all with the bustle which comes with enormous lobbies and numerous meeting rooms. Their guestrooms probably had flat screen TVs, new furniture and perfect amenities, but I was so glad to return each evening to the more human scale of the Lafayette for shrimp at Mike's on the Avenue or a quiet drink in the bar.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank orwomenlaw
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Fine if your idea of character is old and shabby. Incredibly noisy if you are in a room at the front of the hotel where the St Charles street car line runs (conveniently perhaps) 24hrs a day. Do not expect flat screens here (or even remotes that work). The aircon did not cope well with daytime temperatures in April, who knows what happens in Summer?

Room Tip: If you want quiet you need a room that does not overlook the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at the Lafayette Hotel because the price was just right and the proximity between the French Quarter and the Garden District was perfect. We were a bit hesitant because we had stayed at "other hotels" in the quarter at an "agreeable price" and turned out to be a dump. So when we got to Lafaytte Hotel and saw how clean and super spacious the room was, we were overjoyed. The bedroom had a large king bed and the parlor had a pull out queen sofa bed. The decoration of the room suit the ambiance of the hotel which was periodically beautiful. The staff was quiet pleasant. The front desk attendant - Dwayne - was such a lamb. He greeted us every evening and took time to ask how our day went and added on great suggestions on what to do. Overall, it was a great stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SilvsLaza
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We had three nights at the Lafayette Hotel and found it to be very agreeable. The location is very nice: a couple of blocks outside the French Quarter and on the St. Charles street car line for easy access to uptown. The building was built in perhaps the 1920's and it has nice architectural detail inside and out. It is a moderate size of five stories and perhaps only ten rooms on each of four floors, so it has a personal scale. We were on the fifth floor so the sound of the street cars was not a particular problem. The majority of the rooms are on the street side. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bathroom was not as up-to-date as I would have liked and the mattress was less than perfect as it had too much motion. The TV is not a modern flat screen type. However, the carpet and paint were very fresh and the bedroom and bathroom were large. There is a terrific restaurant, Mike's, on the first floor. The hotel is not perfect but it is a good value. And I would happily go back.

Room Tip: If you need a lot of quiet ask for a room in the rear.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Initially I was a little disappointed that I hadn't been able to book a smaller 'boutique' hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Lafayette Hotel. And it really made my trip to New Orleans all the more memorable.
I had a balcony room which was very spacious and featured beautiful period furnishings. Three french doors opened on to the balcony and it was lovely to let in the warm fresh spring air. The bathroom was clean and well-stocked. My only complaint would be the absence of a fridge. But overall, it was really excellent value for money. I would definitely recommend it and would go back in an instant.
Best of all, all the staff were wonderful. I've never before encountered a hotel where every single one of the staff were so friendly, approachable and helpful. Had a great chat with one of the housekeeping women, as well as numerous reception and door staff.
I had one meal at Mike's on the Avenue downstairs and it was the best meal I had in NOLA (possibly also the priciest, but well worth it).

Room Tip: Get a balcony room - well worth the nominal extra $
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. It's a great location. You're only 5 blocks away from the French Quarter, about a 10 minute walk. I booked the room on hotels.com so I had a great rate. The ladies at the front desk are great. Parking is slightly weird and it took about 15 minutes to get my car from the valet. Internet is an additional charge, but only $5. The suite had a bed room and a sitting room. It's slightly outdated... BUT it's very charming. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012