“Great Hotel - Great Service”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #96 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at the Lafayette Hotel because the price was just right and the proximity between the French Quarter and the Garden District was perfect. We were a bit hesitant because we had stayed at "other hotels" in the quarter at an "agreeable price" and turned out to be a dump. So when we got to Lafaytte Hotel and saw how clean and super spacious the room was, we were overjoyed. The bedroom had a large king bed and the parlor had a pull out queen sofa bed. The decoration of the room suit the ambiance of the hotel which was periodically beautiful. The staff was quiet pleasant. The front desk attendant - Dwayne - was such a lamb. He greeted us every evening and took time to ask how our day went and added on great suggestions on what to do. Overall, it was a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SilvsLaza

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We had three nights at the Lafayette Hotel and found it to be very agreeable. The location is very nice: a couple of blocks outside the French Quarter and on the St. Charles street car line for easy access to uptown. The building was built in perhaps the 1920's and it has nice architectural detail inside and out. It is a moderate size of five stories and perhaps only ten rooms on each of four floors, so it has a personal scale. We were on the fifth floor so the sound of the street cars was not a particular problem. The majority of the rooms are on the street side. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bathroom was not as up-to-date as I would have liked and the mattress was less than perfect as it had too much motion. The TV is not a modern flat screen type. However, the carpet and paint were very fresh and the bedroom and bathroom were large. There is a terrific restaurant, Mike's, on the first floor. The hotel is not perfect but it is a good value. And I would happily go back.

Room Tip: If you need a lot of quiet ask for a room in the rear.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Initially I was a little disappointed that I hadn't been able to book a smaller 'boutique' hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Lafayette Hotel. And it really made my trip to New Orleans all the more memorable.
I had a balcony room which was very spacious and featured beautiful period furnishings. Three french doors opened on to the balcony and it was lovely to let in the warm fresh spring air. The bathroom was clean and well-stocked. My only complaint would be the absence of a fridge. But overall, it was really excellent value for money. I would definitely recommend it and would go back in an instant.
Best of all, all the staff were wonderful. I've never before encountered a hotel where every single one of the staff were so friendly, approachable and helpful. Had a great chat with one of the housekeeping women, as well as numerous reception and door staff.
I had one meal at Mike's on the Avenue downstairs and it was the best meal I had in NOLA (possibly also the priciest, but well worth it).

Room Tip: Get a balcony room - well worth the nominal extra $
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. It's a great location. You're only 5 blocks away from the French Quarter, about a 10 minute walk. I booked the room on hotels.com so I had a great rate. The ladies at the front desk are great. Parking is slightly weird and it took about 15 minutes to get my car from the valet. Internet is an additional charge, but only $5. The suite had a bed room and a sitting room. It's slightly outdated... BUT it's very charming. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I received excellent service from all of your employees during our recent stay at your hotel. However one employee was over and above in his excellent service to us. Dwayne went more than out
of his way in helping us as we were trying to receive a fax into the hotel. He did everything in his power to get that fax into the hotel and to us in an extremely timely fashion. Excellent employees like that are what makes your hotel special.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed at the Lafayette Hotel on 4/7 & 4/8. I booked my room after hearing so many great things on TripAdvisor and everything that was said was true. The bottom line is I would stay here again and love that they are pet friendly. I will bring my Yorkie next time.

The only downside is that it's about a 15 minute walk to the Quarter. I had stayed at a Holiday Inn in the Quarter in the days preceding so I'm sure a 15 minute walk isn't bad in comparison to it all and for the price, but it's all I had to compare. I was staying by myself and took a cab to the quarter the first time (about $10 with tip) and decided to walk back. I felt pretty safe and did this during the daytime. I imagine on a weekday during business hours it's very crowded and even more safe. This really is the business district, so imagine a downtown/business type feel.

There are not many places to eat that I saw in the immediate vicinity which was another bummer. The hotel's restaurant has odd hours and was hardly open. Bring snacks, expect to walk a while for food, or order delivery.

The staff was very kind and courteous, especially upon checkout. The bellman always got me a cab right away.

Some people mentioned the noise from the streetcar and though it is loud, I had no problem sleeping but I go to bed very late/early in the AM when the streetcar isn't running as frequently. If you're a light sleeper, do request a room away from the streetcar line.

Overall, I would return for the price and if I had my Yorkie. The rooms were dated, but charming and the stains around the toilet, sink, and tub as mentioned in another review are not from urine but from water. I don't know who pees on a faucet. LOL.

The AC wasn't a huge issue. I'm guessing they are on the new green conservation program which I think does tax breaks for hotels, so the air doesn't run when you are not in the room I don't think. I just cranked it wayyyy down and avoided the issue of it being too warm in the room. There were plenty of times I had to shut it off because it got too cold.

If you will be out and about exploring or traveling with a pet, this is the place for you. If you're looking for refurbished, revamped, new, and luxurious accommodations probably not.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room away from the streetcar line.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ShanLando
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We loved our stay! Free upgrade, customer service was great - Joanna was particularly kind. Only downfalls were - no kind of vending machines only the mini bar (too expensive for me) and we had to walk 6 blocks to nearest open store...our A/C was not quite powerful enough but we never got TOO hot, and last of all if you are a light sleeper you need to request a room away from the trolley line side or you will not be happy. The hotel is very cute and right next to Lafayette Square. I am sure we will stay again!

• Stayed: April 2012