“Great little gem!”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #90 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed at the Lafayette Hotel on 4/7 & 4/8. I booked my room after hearing so many great things on TripAdvisor and everything that was said was true. The bottom line is I would stay here again and love that they are pet friendly. I will bring my Yorkie next time.

The only downside is that it's about a 15 minute walk to the Quarter. I had stayed at a Holiday Inn in the Quarter in the days preceding so I'm sure a 15 minute walk isn't bad in comparison to it all and for the price, but it's all I had to compare. I was staying by myself and took a cab to the quarter the first time (about $10 with tip) and decided to walk back. I felt pretty safe and did this during the daytime. I imagine on a weekday during business hours it's very crowded and even more safe. This really is the business district, so imagine a downtown/business type feel.

There are not many places to eat that I saw in the immediate vicinity which was another bummer. The hotel's restaurant has odd hours and was hardly open. Bring snacks, expect to walk a while for food, or order delivery.

The staff was very kind and courteous, especially upon checkout. The bellman always got me a cab right away.

Some people mentioned the noise from the streetcar and though it is loud, I had no problem sleeping but I go to bed very late/early in the AM when the streetcar isn't running as frequently. If you're a light sleeper, do request a room away from the streetcar line.

Overall, I would return for the price and if I had my Yorkie. The rooms were dated, but charming and the stains around the toilet, sink, and tub as mentioned in another review are not from urine but from water. I don't know who pees on a faucet. LOL.

The AC wasn't a huge issue. I'm guessing they are on the new green conservation program which I think does tax breaks for hotels, so the air doesn't run when you are not in the room I don't think. I just cranked it wayyyy down and avoided the issue of it being too warm in the room. There were plenty of times I had to shut it off because it got too cold.

If you will be out and about exploring or traveling with a pet, this is the place for you. If you're looking for refurbished, revamped, new, and luxurious accommodations probably not.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room away from the streetcar line.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ShanLando

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We loved our stay! Free upgrade, customer service was great - Joanna was particularly kind. Only downfalls were - no kind of vending machines only the mini bar (too expensive for me) and we had to walk 6 blocks to nearest open store...our A/C was not quite powerful enough but we never got TOO hot, and last of all if you are a light sleeper you need to request a room away from the trolley line side or you will not be happy. The hotel is very cute and right next to Lafayette Square. I am sure we will stay again!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I was incredibly impressed with the way the staff treated us on our first trip to the Lafayette Hotel, but the circumstances of that trip were very unusual. I previously rated and reviewed the hotel based on those circumstances and recently had the opportunity to see if my ratings would hold up a second time in regular circumstances. They do! The room was clean and beautiful, with the most comfortable bed (that I actually had to use stairs to get into). The location is perfect for anything you wish to do in or around the Quarter. We walked everywhere at all times of day and night and never once felt unsafe. But once again, the staff took center stage with me. Dewayne was on duty when I got there and was incredibly helpful at helping my find a safe parking place, great local food, and his directions were impeccable! His love of the area is catching and I could have talked with him for hours. I saw Kerry the next morning and he actually remembered me from 4 months before! Once again, I felt very at home here. I cannot express how much this hotel gives you a true 'feel' for the beauty of the New Orleans culture. Just give it a try, you cannot go wrong.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Terri F
Reviewed March 21, 2012

If you get a great deal on this hotel then it would be worth staying at. The hotel is dated and a lot of the items in the room show it. That being said the room was below average in my opinion on the cleanliness factor. No hotel lobby to sit in for a change of scenery or vending machines. You have to ask the front desk for ice. The outlets in the room are frustrating as the plugs are not good. Also the internet connection is very weak. I would only come back here if there was a great deal on the price. Also if you stay here ask for a room that is not on the street car side or by the fans. The street car run most of the night which is very annoying.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room that is not by the street cars or fans.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly3601
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This small hotel was the perfect spot for or New Orleans stay. It is a little further away from the French Quarter but if you like walking its a good choice. Freshly painted and well maintained with a great restaurant and bar downstairs.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and had a view of the superdome
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank schlittgonzalez
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The building looks and feels like it was lifted in its entirety from a street in Mayfair, London. It’s a good 10 minute walk from the hotel to Bourbon Street but pretty much a direct route. A few large, stark banking buildings, including the Federal Reserve, surround the Lafayette which makes it stand out even more.

The décor is traditional with power blues and sage green colour schemes, just on the right side of chintzy. It was refreshing to be in a room with a bit of character, rather than the neutral colour schemes of many hotel chains which feel so anonymous. The bed was huge and so so comfortable, something very important on the second morning as I struggled to recover from a late night on Bourbon Street.

The reception staff were great - they gave practical advice on walking routes and places to visit. The restaurant and bar on the ground floor were both closed while we were there, but do look nice and quite reasonably priced. We took advantage of free parking over the holiday weekend and got a prime spot directly in front of the hotel, I think valet parking is available but is over $20 a day.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank missussmithy
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Our family chose the Lafayette for Mardi Gras 2012. Yes, our family. Mardi Gras is a family event and there are so many things for a family to do in New Orleans. (The debauchery is really contained to Bourbon Street - and the rest of the French Quarter is kid friendly during the day.)

The Lafayette is right on the parade route on St. Charles - which is ideal for watching the parade and then running back up to your room instead of a port-a-pottie. There is a restaurant and a bar attached to the hotel which is also really convenient. Even more convenient is a brand new Rouse's Market (equivalent to a Whole Foods) only 2 blocks away. With a bar sink and refrigerator in your room (wish there was a microwave too) we could do breakfast and even make drinks to bring back outside (yes, you can drink on the street in NOLA if it's in plastic). The St. Charles streetcar runs right in front of the hotel, but the streetcar shuts down during Mardi Gras weekend. We did not rent a car, but the hotel does have parking. You don't need a car if you stay at the Lafayette - you're only a few blocks to walk to the French Quarter and the streetcar takes you to the Garden District / Audubon Zoo (wonderful). You can walk to Mother's restaurant for breakfast (best waffles ever, delicious shrimp creole omelet).

This is a historic hotel that is in the middle of renovation. Our room had an '80s feel to it - and it was a little threadbare. Nothing gross - it was very clean. Lampshades were worn, a few dings on the walls. This was fine for us, especially with a family. If you're comfortable with high end chains, you may not be comfortable here. If you like vintage, historic properties you'll appreciate the moulding, high ceilings and charm. The elevators were quick.

The bed was very comfortable and the heating/cooling worked flawlessly. You could not hear any other guests in the hotel - thick walls. The single pane glass meant street noise, though. What shocked me was that once the parades were done - there wasn't much street noise (some street cleaners, garbage trucks) and we all slept well.

Another reason we chose the Lafayette was our room was a suite - for a better price than many single rooms. Just FYI - there is not a fixed door between the bedroom and the living area - just a big room divider. Our kids slept on the hide-a-bed.

I read reviews on Trip Advisor before booking and I agree with other reviewers about slow drains and not great water pressure. The fact that I was expecting it made it ok (thanks, Trip Advisor).

The hotel staff was absolutely charming. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome in a very genuine way. I agree with the reviewers who applaud Kerry and his crew. There is extra security at the hotel during Mardi Gras which was not obtrusive (they did ask us to wear armbands).

Overall, I would stay at the Lafayette again in a heartbeat - even it it wasn't Mardi Gras.

Room Tip: I understand the top floors have been remodeled if you want something more updated.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family