“Disgusting Beds with Bed Bugs”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #93 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The rooms are old and dirty. The linens on the bed were too small, so it is inevitable you will have to come in direct contact with the bare mattress when sleeping.The beds are filthy and extremely uncomfortable. The bed had bed bugs, and it made me break out in itchy painful pustules that lead to scarring on my arm. DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank ShawnD85
mcharlesnola, Owner at The Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Hotel staff is diligent and consistent maintaining clean fine facilities with appropriate bedding and comfortable accommodations. Guest acknowledged likely source of problem from home, then became irate when hotel didn't acquiesce to unreasonable demands; hence, this review.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and i stayed here for two nights mid december and had a great time. The reception staff checked us in quickly and efficiently, and we had a nice suprise when we got to our room. It was large, with a king size bed, sofa and table area, big sash windows and a good size bathroom.It is an older hotel, so a little rough around the edges, but it was vey clean and well presented. The only downside to the room was the shower...it was more like a drip and took a long time to get soap out of long hair! but that aside, we had a very comfortable stay and liked our room.
The hotel is not far from canal street, and we walked each day to the french quarter quite easily and felt safe to do so, even at night. There are a few nice restaurants on St Charles and also a coffee and bakery should you want to get a quick breakfast. There is also a bank (atm) which was helpful.
Parking was $31 a night, and was located in a small gated plot just opposite the main entrance to the hotel. We probably could have found cheaper parking elsewhere, but it looked secure and was easy for us, as we dd not know the city.
Overall, it was a great stay.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

The Lafayette hotel is small with only 44 rooms, charming with a very personable staff.
We chose a king suite with balcony, sitting area and wetbar.
Bathrobes listed on the website were not in our room, however, Duane of the desk staff brought two freshly-laundered to our door within 30 minutes of asking.
The hotel is undergoing some needed renovations to update carpet, wallpaper and furnishings.
There are few amenities, but the reasonable price, and being on the St. Charles streetcar line convenient to the French Quarter and Garden District was very convenient. We will stay again on our next visit to New Orleans.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to defuse outside noise from delivery trucks and streetcar.
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My best friend and I stayed here the weekend before Christmas, 2011. She flew in from Texas and I drove over from Alabama and picked her up at the airport. We searched and searched for a hotel close enough to the French Quarter to walk everywhere but that was still affordable. We chose the Lafayette Hotel because the price was so good, but had some misgivings because we knew nothing about it. We were very surprised when we arrived. First off, Karrry checked us in and could not have been any more welcoming or friendly. Adam unloaded our luggage and got my SUV into a safe spot in the parking area for us. We loved our room immediately! The hotel is older, but was very clean and very charming. It had a wonderful feel to it with the antique furnishings, and the beds were incredibly comfortable. We walked everywhere we wanted to go, all weekend. We shopped all day, played in the Quarter most of the night, even walked home at 3:30 in the morning one night and never once felt nervous or unsafe. The hotel is in a nice part of town, a couple of blocks off of Canal street and very well lit at night.

If my trip had ended on Sunday afternoon as scheduled, I would rate this hotel a 5 exactly as I've done. Because my trip ended as it did, I wish trip advisor would allow me to rate it a 10 instead. Upon check out on Sunday, my friend found out her plane tickets were messed up and then my car wouldn't start. We both panicked, but the staff at the Lafayette Hotel took care of us like we were their family. Max and Adam jumped off my car and when that didn't work, stayed for FOUR hours after they got off work trying to help get the issue resolved. Saundra kept checking in to help, because she has alot of mechanical knowledge too. Adam called friends of his that were mechanics to come see if they could help. (They were in the middle of the Saints game and came to help anyway- and did not charge me even though I offered to pay for their time!) We were unable to resolve the issue because although it appeared to be a dead battery and then the starter, it was actually a serious electrical issue. (I'm not sure I've spelled names correctly, but I know they are their right names!) We ended up having to stay an extra night to wait on a tow truck and a ride home. Karry moved us into a great room at a wonderful rate and got us resettled. He was off work at this time and offered to take us to resolve my friend's ticket issue. He then took us on a tour of New Orleans and told us about the history of the city. It was WONDERFUL- I couldn't believe how knowledgable he was about everything. The sweetest part is, he did this because he realized my friend and I were so upset and stressed about our troubles, and that was his way of calming us down and allowing us to de-stress a little so we could enjoy our last evening in NO. I do believe the bed in room 307 is the most comfortable I've ever slept in, so we had a great 'extra' night after all. I will stay at the Lafayette Hotel every time I stay in NO from now on. Their staff is not paid to be that caring, the Hotel was just wise enough to hire caring people and that's reason enough for me to spend my time there. I will never be able to thank them enough for taking a very scary, stressful time and making me feel so safe blessed instead.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 411 and 307. 411 was a suite between the elevators and had a jacuzzi tub. 307 was...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Terri F
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in the week after Christmas of 2010. Our room was lovely, with a separate sitting area. It was a great location, just a few blocks from all the action. You might think being right in the middle of all the action would be better, but it can be loud there. This is a small, older, boutique hotel with personalized service. There is one check-in station at the front desk with a front desk clerk who you will come to know throughout your stay. If you are used to a brand new, high-end, high-rise hotel with a dozen or more check-in stations, this is not the place for you. We had a little trouble with the heat, but it got fixed quickly. I give these qualifications because people who are used to the high end hotels will be disappointed here. We had a great time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a separate sitting area. For times when you want to stay in the room for a bi...
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at The Lafayette Hotel. Overall, it was a fairly decent hotel. As other reviewers have indicated, the hotel is a bit dated and lacking in some modern amenities found in other hotels. However, my wife and found The Lafayette Hotel to quite charming. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, especially Kerry at the front desk.

The location is very good, as one is able to hop on the streetcar, which stops right in front of the hotel. We were also able to walk most places near the French Quarter and the Central Business District. I would recommend friends and family to stay at the Lafayette. However, if you're looking for all the pizazz and modern amenities of other hotels, then The Lafayette may not be for you. Overall, it was a good hotel.

1  Thank CarolinaTraveler910
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We are senior travelers who chose the Lafayette Hotel due to its central location. It was an easy walk to the French Quarter, Casino, WWII Museum and all attraction. The room was larger than we expected in an older hotel and very pleasant. The staff was able to answer all questions and needs. I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment. The only problem we had was we were told the ice machine was broken the first two days of our stay and we were directed to a supermarket to purchase ice. The third day we were able to get iceat the front desk, who had to get it from the attached restaurant. On the fourth day we were given half a bucket of ice and told again if we needed more we would have to go to the market. Apart from this inconvenience, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Lafayette

2  Thank TFS37