“Excellent service and charming hotel!”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #95 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Excellent service and charming hotel!”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel last minute. We could not find anything else close to Bourbon street for a reasonable price. The hotel turned out to be a great find. The price is very reasonable for the location. Let me start by saying the staff is absolutely amazing! Everyone we came into contact with through out our was very helpful and full of New Orleans energy. The staff was full of tips on where to park, where to eat, and the best way to get to places. You have a cute park and some places to eat right by the hotel. Also, the hotel is very close to the streetcar so access to other places is convenient. You could even walk to Bourbon and Canal street if you had on good shoes. We took the streetcar there and ended up walking back. Some of the reviews talk about the hotel being old. It is old but in a charming way. It has history. It is not the old where things are falling apart or there is mold anywhere. Everything worked great for us. The room was a nice size the bathroom was also very nice. It is not a brand new modern hotel but it is, by no means, ratty or falling apart. It has character and ambiance, which along with the staff, added to our New Orleans vacation. We will definitely stay at this hotel again!

4 Thank AggieApril

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2011

When we checked in, we knew it was going to be a great stay as the front desk manager was delightfully charming. A king suite is a great value and a really nice size for a multiple day stay. The location is perfect as long as your not a light sleeper, the streetcar runs at all hours of the day and night. Walking distance to everything but the stretcar was our mode of choice. The room was always clean, new towels, freshly made bed, when we returned from our daily adventures. We had neighbors who chose to smoke and somehow thought our non-smoker noses didnt work. The front desk was swift to act and we appreciated their response. When we returned that afternoon, our room looked and smelled clean. We will stay there on our next trip but will definately pack earplugs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Eden76
Reviewed October 5, 2011

a/c was not pitting out cold air it was hot in room first desk person was nice an sweet the second was not so nice bad service drains did not drain good got charged with hidden fees I would not stay here agin

• Stayed October 2011
Sun City Center, Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We had an excellent experience in this comfortable, quaint hotel. The king-size, four poster bed was very comfortable and having a suite with lounge and wet bar made our five nights here like coming home after a busy day of sightseeing. Dwayne gave us a great orientation upon our arrival, explaining the streetcar system and the "lay of the land." The hotel is well situated on the historic St. Charles streetcar line and an easy walk to the French Quarter or the Riverwalk. This is a small hotel for people who want to be close to the party scene but like a quiet atmosphere to return to. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. When we had a complication with our rental car, Gisella was helpful in pointing us in the right direction. On our last day we had a late flight and Kerry graciously held our baggage and took time to share the hotel's plans to update the rooms. Our understanding is that the new owners have replaced many of the major systems in the hotel and are now working on updating the rooms to reflect the grandeur of this lovely building's architecture. We could not have asked for a more pleasant home base for our stay.

Room Tip: King suites are the best value, especially if you are staying more than one night.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sandebeach722
Harker Heights, Texas
Reviewed October 4, 2011

When my husband and I were traveling from Texas to Alabama, we decided to stop in New Orleans on short notice. We decided to stay at the Lafayette Hotel, which was said to be animal friendly. When we arrived, Dwayne met us at the front desk and checked us in and inquired about our dog. As we brought in our border collie, Dwayne stated that no animal that comes into the hotel can not visit the front desk, so we brought Athena to him. To our surprise, Dwayne was waiting with a box of treats and ready to play with her. After check-in, my husband and I brought Athena up to the room and decided to go downstairs to get a drink at the bar. When we walked in the bar, Brett (the bartender) made some small talk and got us a couple of drinks. I had made mention to my husband that I was concerned about our dog being in a strange place all by herself, and Brett insisted that we bring her down and let her hang out in the bar with us, as long as she didn't disturb any of the other customers. We did and she was thankful. This hotel was not only charming, but extremely friendly, professional and animal loving. The location of the Lafayette Hotel is perfect, close enough to all the hot spots without being in the middle of them all. My husband and I will stay at the Lafayette Hotel everytime we are in New Orleans. Thank you Dwayne and Brett for making our trip to New Orleans awesome!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Nicole J
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This hotel is a little gem in New Orleans. The suite we had was spacious and gorgeous. The Hotel staff were helpful, friendly and caring about our time in New Orleans. The location is excellent...walking distance to the museums in the warehouse area and also the French Quarter. I am extremely picky about where I stay and this little jewel exceeded my demands. Our suite had a balcony overlooking Lafayette Square, the furniture was classic and air-conditioning was comfortable. I would recommend this hotel and plan on staying here again when I head to New Orleans.

3 Thank Sharon G
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I wanted to like this hotel. I read the reviews based our decision to stay there off of them. The staff was really nice the problem was with our room. What others consider charming I consider old and in need of renovation. The bed was lumpy and I took alot of advil for back pain. The coffee maker was in the bathroom beside the toilet, and there was someones breathing strip stuck to my pillow.

1 Thank mzincognito