“Pleasantly Surprised”

Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Conveniently located on historic Jackson Square, the view from Stanley's provincial yet elegant dining room provides a beautiful backdrop of St. Louis Cathedral and downtown New Orleans. With all day breakfast and brunch, delicious sandwiches, a soda fountain, house-made ice cream desserts, and The Stanley Burger there's something guaranteed to please anyone's tastes in this charming French Quarter locale.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went to Stanley on our first night in the city because we happened to be at the square and wanted to get something nearby. It was not really at the top of the places we wanted to visit but we are glad we did. We knew it was a breakfast place but since we were already there we thought we would try it for dinner anyway. We were not disappointed. Our dinner consisted of a deepfried oyster po-boy, a softshell crab po-boy and gumbo. The po-boys and the gumbo were the best we had during our trip; and we tried them a lot. I was actually pleasantly surprised given that we ate at some of the best rated places in the city but still found Stanley’s food to be on par or even better than what we had elsewhere (such as at Johnny’s). I would certainly recommend this place for dinner as well as breakfast.

1  Thank mmmuffins

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stanley's on Saint Ann Street, adjacent to Jackson Square is an incredibly busy and efficient venue with a limited but adequate menu serving Louisiana favorite foods and their own variations of classical favorites. Although busy (can't imagine how it must be during Mardi Gras or high season), our party of seven was seated fairly quickly, served efficiently, and provided with some great food. We had a variety of dishes from the menu including salad, an oyster poor boy, pancakes various vegetables, an excellent gumbo, an eggs benedict poor boy (delicious), and the tasty high cholesterol omelet sandwich (not to be missed). All the dishes were excellent and the bill was very reasonable. Highly recommended. Their website pictures accurately represent some of their best dishes. Yum!

1  Thank mblevine
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Things were getting crazy around Jackson Square due to the Super Bowl prep so my friend and I chose to recharge with some food. We went over to Stanley's. Good Choice! I ordered a small Louisiana Gumbo and a Mufellata. So good!! The service was super friendly and the portions were generous. If you are wondering around the French Quarter and Jackson Square you have to stop in!!!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

It may not look grand from the outside, but it is definitely what is in the inside that counts. Apparently, not a lot of tourists know about this place. I just happen to find a good review online for this restaurant. I ordered the Banana Foster French toast for my boyfriend, which was excellant! I ordered the Breaux Eggs Benedict for myself. It is a cajun twist on traditinal Eggs Benedict by adding a boudin ball on each of them. This was soooooo amazing. I would definitely go back. Btw, they serve their breafast menu all day long.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went with my wife for lunch.
I really like the decor: marble top tables/bar against darkly stained wood. The place looks really nice inside and seems clean and well cared for, which isn't always the case in the quarter.

Service: Prompt attention to water and drinks. A little slow coming back for our order. They do something that is annoying, they take your order on a smart phone, but it looks like your server is constantly texting--as a visual it is annoying. Not our server came by, didn't say a word, just shoved her arm in front of my face as she refilled sugar packets--really annoying, something that should be done when the table is turned over. Had to wait quite a while for drink refill even though the server went by our table several times.

Food: I had chicken club & fries, my wife had ceasar salad and breakfast potatoes.
chicken sandwich: tender with a nice basil mayo, but overall it didn't work that well. I'm not sure if it was the ham or the chicken, but the flavors didn't blend well for me. Fries were good.
Salad: my wife's review was that it is a really big salad and as such needed more--more parm, more of something because the lettuce wasn't well covered/flavored. Loved the potatoes, I tried them and they were excellent.
Paid the bill, but had to wait for receipt which the server had to go print, seems to defeat the purpose of sign at the table--no offer to email.
Overall it would be fine elsewhere, but in New Orleans there are much better options in the same price range.