“St. Charles -- Funky charm, good value”

St. Charles Guest House
Ranked #47 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Ames, Iowa & London, England
“St. Charles -- Funky charm, good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

My wife and I quite enjoyed our six nights at the St. Charles Guest House. We arrived a day early and our first room was on the small side, but after our ‘official’ stay began we were in a lovely room with a large bed.

No television sets in the bedroom or anywhere, but the breakfast room is wired for high speed internet, which is a huge plus.

It was chilly when we arrived (6 April 2007) and the little gas heater in the bathroom wasn’t quite enough to make the bedroom comfortable, But some extra blankets did the trick. And we had plenty of hot water for showers and baths.

Our rooms were clean and well maintained

Only by week’s end did the weather warm up enough for the pool, but it looks quite inviting.

There is no off-street parking, but we were able to park within about four spaces of the front door every time --- and we used our car daily.

Staff was quite helpful. Miss Ruby even made sure that we had coffee and muffins or biscuits at early as 7 a.m. The owner, Dennis, even took us to church so we could talk to some members from a flood-damaged congregation.

The St. Charles tram line is still out of action, but the French Quarter isn’t that far away. Also, there are several decent to very good eating choices within about four or five blocks of the Guest House. (Don’t miss the Voodoo Barbecue.)

Dennis said the St. Charles Guest House lost its roof in the hurricane and was vandalized afterwards. But things seem to be ticking along today.

Don’t expect room service or everything to run like clockwork, but the St. Charles is charming and friendly. The big deck is a great place to chat up other guests.

Bottom line: excellent value for money.

• Liked — Great value; funky charm; friendly staff
  • Disliked — Some small problems didn't get remedied right away; others did. No big deal, though
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Street_urchin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2006

I have currently just finished traveling across the US, as a single female ,and was very lucky to find the Guest House. Recommended to me by Habitat for Humanity, I found a place that made me feel very safe, secure and welcomed. The staff is what sets it apart. While staying there they took time to get to know me, what I was doing and helping me when my car broke down. I have stayed in many hotels, hostels and pensions across the US and my experience could not be beat by any other place.
It is located in a very safe and beautiful neighborhood; the Garden District. In close walking distance to many of the cities hot spots, or just a few dollar cab ride away.
The rooms are quaint and vary depending on your needs. The pool in the back is kept up immacuately and BBQ's on the large back porch cannot be beat.
hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

While you won't have 2 TVs in your room like the big boys downtown, you will more than make up for in charm and traditional guest house attention. What do you want to see, what is your budget, what is important to you while you travel - the staff at the St Charles Guest House is happy to direct you so that you have a truely wonderful experience in one of the world's great cities.
We recently stayed in a 2 room suite whith our children. They loved the way that the 3 converted 100+ year old houses weave together to give them plenty to explore. The pool was a refreshing break from the NOLA heat and the Big Easy pace allowed us to really enjoy each other without distractions from TV etc.
The location is perfect for someone who wants to explore ALL of New Orleans, not just the quarter. Being in the heart of the Lower Garden District, you can easily use the guest house for a base to explore both uptown and the quarter. When the streetcar gets running again, it will be even easier.
Speaking of Katrina, there was far less damage to the parts of town that tourists usually visit than the news will tell you. Thats not to minimize what happened in the Lower 9th or St Bernard or Lakeview, but most tourists just dont go to those places.
Another post Katrina observation I had was that while the 1600 room mega hotels are having service issues on their reviews because of a lack of staff, the staff at the SCGH has not changed dramatically so they can still offer the same great service.
Try it once, I bet you will be back.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank jaysonl
Redwood City CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2006

The St Charles Guest house is a great place to stay if you are on a budget. Sure it is far from the Quarter but this also gives you a chance to take the trolley and walk around the garden district, something we probably would not have done as much if we had stayed in the French Quarter. The main issue I have with the St Charles is the shared bathroom-if you go, get a room with a private bathroom. In the heat the bathroom smelled like pee. Blecch. There is also no tv in the room,which I didn't mind, but my significant other was not happy. The owner and staff of the hotel are very friendly and accomodating. For the price, you really can't beat it. I have actually stayed here twice, once by myself in 98 and then in 2004 when I came back with my boyfriend. I'm glad to see that the St Charles is up and running after Katrina.

• Liked — friendly people, great location
  • Disliked — no phone or tv
  • Tips/Secrets — the trolley line is just a block away & will take you anywhere you need to go. you can buy a pass at the local liquor store
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank purplejetta
Peachtree City, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2006

Our stay started on Friday, August 26, 2006 (3 Days before Katrina came inland)

When we arrived we were happy that things looked as shown in their website, that is until we walked into our room. It was really bad. Dirty, broken furniture. Cheap, old linens, possibly not changed from the last occupent. Filthy carpet and the air conditioner had black 'lint' blowing from it. The ceiling fan was being held up by devine intervention...it wobbled so badly I was afraid to use it. The turquoise bathroom was a filthy horror unto itself with missing ceramic tiles and the sink and tub full of pubic hair. OK...having said that, we decided to stay because we'd driven from Atlanta (7hrs) and we only had a few days w/out our 3 boys and we figured we'd be spending very little time actually in the room.

The place had some good points...the pool and deck area were very charming. We had a late night romantic swim. The staff consisted of A nice guy, possibly of Hindu ancestry. He had had several beers by the time we were ready to turn in for the first night. We slept lightly and just got through it. (Dad was right...you get what you pay for)

Of course at an early lunch the next day the talk was the hurricane and to evacuate or not. We decided to CONTRAFLOW up I-10 to I-59 to get back to the 3 boys we had so eagerly ditched with Granny for our romantic get-a-way. We were so afraid of what Katrina might do to the city...a city we love like a home and visit at least once a year. The rest you all know, and NOLA has made some strides to bring itself back better than ever...Let's just hope that The St. Charles Guesthouse makes some greatly needed improvements also.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — dirty, old room
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimberlyinptc
Saskatoon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

I regret not posting a review sooner. My husband and I booked a room in this horrific B & B in October 2004. We arrived to a filthy dirty room. There was crumbs on the night table, hair in the bed and urine on the toilet seat. The innkeeper seemed friendly and genuine prior to seeing the room, but when we complained nothing was done. We booked this room over the internet, put a deposit on the room at the time, as we had planned to stay 4 days. We decided we could not stay at this place and our money was not returned. We were so disappointed as we had travelled 14 hours, were exhausted and tired and to find a room in this state was terrible. The bed was so old and was sagging in the middle, not to mention the sheets were dirty. We thought we had done our research because if you look at the internet pictures, reviews - you will get a totally different view.

I have stayed at many b & b's since this experience with totally different results. I do not know how this place and call itself a B&B, it does not even qualify as a hostel. I would avoid staying here if at all possible. This place should be closed down.

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business
2 Thank nfair
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

I came to New Orleans in November 2005 to work for FEMA in the disaster relief program and was one of the first to stay at the St. Charles Guest House that was damaged by Hurricane Katrina. I stayed four months until March 2006 and loved every minute. My four grown children and granddaughter from Montana came to stay at the Guest House over several weekends in January and February and were treated wonderfully by owners Dennis and Joanne, and staff members, Ruby, Mr. Paul from Finland, and John Marshall. While the guest house was being repaired and cleaned, I was comfortable, had room to roam around the pool and deck, and joined in the comraderie of the many other volunteer groups and paid professionals who were helping clean up after Katrina. Long philosophical chats at the desk with the owners and staff, many kindnesses and attention in the breakfast room in the mornings, and exposure to local legends and city politics made my stay enjoyable.

If you want to get the feel and flavor of the hospitality, heritage and warmth of New Orleans, stay at the St. Charles Guest House that has owners and staff who have long term roots in the city. Located in the Lower Garden District, the Guest House has easy access to the French Quarter, the Warehouse District, and the Garden District. To get more exercise after an 11-hour work day, each evening we walked to Magazine Street for dinner in one of the dozens of fabulous restaurants that opened each week to the jubliation of residents and visitors alike. As architectural historians, we were amazed at the streets lined with magnificent architectural gems, lush landscaping, above ground cemeteries, and interesting shops in petite shotgun frame houses. Once the St. Charles streetcar line is repaired, Carrolton, Uptown and Tulane University will be within easy reach again.

We were lucky to be in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, and the Guest House is just one block from one of the major parade routes. We learned that the pre-Lenten festivities are actually dominated by reunions of family and friends, while the media primarily focuses on the colorful and outrageous activities on Bourbon Street, although we found the elaborate costumes, jazz musicians, and second line marches pretty fascinating, too. I thought I was coming to fix New Orleans, but I found that my experiences in New Orleans changed me, for which I will be forever grateful.

When I come back to New Orleans, which I hope will be soon, I will stay again at the St. Charles Guest House, a place that caters to international and adventuresome travelers with a zest for being somewhere new and learning something different. If you want thick carpets, televisions in each room, and isolation, you probably should stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business