“Safe and Cozy for an extended stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
St. Charles Guest House
Ranked #40 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Safe and Cozy for an extended stay”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Arriving after midnight, I thought that I landed in a nightmare. Yes, it is old, worn out, lacks electrical outlets, wall paper is peeling, halls are narrow, carpets are tread bare, furniture is supported on bricks, and floors are uneven; but the staff members are very kind and attentive. They keep it as clean as possible, but there is only so much that can be done about cleaning OLD. My mattress was comfy and new. There was always hot water in my roomy bath and it is very quiet. I felt very safe from the crazies you see in NOLA, once I was inside the building. The owners priority is to provide a safe, welcoming, affordable B&B vs. charging more for the rooms in order to fix the place up. With no TVs and spoty wi-fi, it's a perfect place to spend time drawing, writing or sleeping.

Room Tip: If you need a ground floor room, clarify it by phone prior to your arrival. I requested a ground fl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
dhilton111, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We want to thank our guest for staying with us for over 3 weeks.. Even though she did not make
the initial reservation, her coordinator came to our place after checking out several economical
places and decided on ours. We say in our publications that we are simple, older, safe kind of place and take great pride in our service to our guests. We work very hard to please those who stay here and provide one of the best values around for the costs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Great place to stay during Mardi Gras, as it's just a block off the parade route. Load up with throws, go "home" to drop them off and use your own bathroom, return.
I brought my bicycle and bike trailer, locked up to the base of the outdoor staircase, covered with a shower curtain. No worries.
My room had an inside hall lamp immediately outside the window, and the draperies were not light-blocking. I ended up using a blanket I brought with me, along with clothespins to secure to the curtain rod.
Other reviews have mentioned a dearth of electrical outlets in the room. I found it necessary to move the floor lamp over towards the desk while awake, then back to the door area for some bedtime reading. (Future packing list: opaque curtains, clothespins, small reading lamp.)
Functionality aside, the breakfast room was a great place to hang out and meet fellow visitors from all over the world. We shared the newspaper, King cake, and local tourist suggestions. I did not realize that there's a pool; next time I'll bring a suit.
Dennis helped me get my bike and trailer squared away, and when I left his establishment, he gave me a hug. That has never happened before at any motel or hotel.
Looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: If you are persnickety, ask to see before loading in.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Veloise
New Orleans
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Dangerous electrical situation, window unit A/C and all lamps all plugged into same single outlet. Missing blade from ceiling fan that didn't work, filthy carpeting. Pool deck looked warped and unsafe. Mattress was new in the '70's maybe? I paid for two nights, but left after one, never to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank PHurdlik
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I wanted to offer a very positive review for St Charles Guest House at 1748 Prytania St in New Orleans, La. I had the opportunity to stay there for two days and nights in mid April, 2012. This Guest House has an old world charm to it, and also is very affordable with a homey atmosphere. The innkeepers are Dennis and Joanne Hilton. It is situated in the Garden District of New Orleans.
They are very welcoming and friendly, and have many returning guests.

The staff is also very friendly and helpful in regard to sights and scenes and recommend satisfying eating establishments and entertainment in New Orleans. They have an inviting pool and patio area, with barbecue and tables for large groups. They provide a common morning eating area for breakfast with brewed coffee, muffins and fruit. I look forward to staying there again in the future. I recommend it to travelers to New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terri P
dhilton1, Owner at St. Charles Guest House, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
We want to thank our guest for taking the time to tell us of their observations.. We always try very hard to accomodate our guests in such a way that they have a safe enjoyable and
friendly stay in New Orleans. That is our goal but sometimes we fail with our
objectives. We advise guests to let us know if something is not safe or if
we can change or modify condtions so that they will feel safe,secure and comfortable.
We will rededicate ourselves to our goals of helping our guests enjoy not only
our Guest House but New Orleans as a whole.
Morris, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here on a family trip in March. We'd lodged at the Marriott on Canal a few years ago and wanted to try someplace more intimate this time around. If you enjoy immersing yourself in the local color (and don't mind being without a TV or having a little peeling paint on the floorboards) this is a wonderful place, rather like an upscale hostel. Old style 19th Century home in a beautiful neighborhood. AND it's only one block off of St. Charles Ave.--perfect for taking the streetcars back and forth to the French Quarter (they run until three in the morning--a buck twenty-five each way), or, during parade time, walking to the route (the St. Patrick's Day parade was only a few blocks away during our stay). Our room was on the first floor across from the banana tree shrouded courtyard pool. Very New Orleans-19th century wallpaper, etc.; and the staff was super helpful in recommending restaurants and bars, especially Colin and Chris.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RobertKeegan
new orleans
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just thought i would update with pics of the new tent around the pool. A great addition to a fun and friendly place. Still not for everyone. Not the Marriott. No teevees. Kept clean but don't expect a rehabbed property. Like New Orleans, this place will show its age.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hopewell, New Jersey
Reviewed April 6, 2012

The St. Charles Guest House is a place I have visited often. The phrase "shabby chic" comes to mind. It is a cool place to be, for people who aren't interested in luxury. Some of the rooms have cosmetic issues, but I have always found that the price reflects this. Great breakfast room. Interesting visitors, often from all over the world. Terrific swimming pool. Friendly staff who go out of their way to make you feel at home at the guest house and in the city. On a recent visit, my family got lost and the owner of the place came and picked them up.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family