“A beautiful view of The Big Easy!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #81 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Cabot, Arkansas
“A beautiful view of The Big Easy!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

As with other posters, I was concerned with all the negative reviews. Honestly not sure where the negative reviews are coming from. I did not experience any of the issues as previously listed. We arrived at 130pm and checked with the front desk to see about an early check in. Not a problem. We were checked in by Anabel and she was very friendly and informative. Checked into room 4309 with a city view. Anabel briefly explained the elevators, and again not a problem. Waited less than a minute and on the 43rd floor in about 30 seconds. The room was very nice, spacious and immaculate with a beautiful city view. We accepted the 5.00 "green" voucher for no housekeeping. The voucher was accepted at the Starbucks in the lobby, no problem. Our room was adjacent to the elevator, no noise from the elevator. The hotel is perfectly located and within walking distance to everything. Multiple trolley lines located near the hotel. Some of the previously discussed issues:

Elevator: Elevators to the right- floors 1-9, Elevators to the left floors 9 and above (read the signs). Grey keypads, enter floor number, watch screen it will tell you what elevator. Get on elevator and go to the floor. Very simple to operate!

Pool: yes it is small, the majority of pools in New Orleans are small in the large hotels.

Fitness Center: Very large, excellent equipment.

Staff: Very friendly. Security is on site in the evening and will ask to see your key card to access the elevator.

Parking $42.56 per day (includes tax) seems high until you get to NOLA. It is not high at all compared to other lots. Never waited more that 5 minutes for our vehicle.

Become a Starwood Preferred Guest. It will be offered at check in if not already a member. Complimentary waters in the room. Come in handy in the NOLA heat and humidity.

WiFi: Yes there is a charge and no free Wi Fi anywhere in the hotel. This would be my only knock on the hotel.

Having stayed with 5 different chain hotels in this area of Canal Street. This is my new go to hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pantherdad18
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Hi Pantherdad18,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your stay with us. We are so honored that we were able to add to your New Orleans experience. Thank you for an outstanding review and for the amazing pictures of the city view! We appreciate you for becoming a preferred guest during your stay. The next time you're here with us, make sure to take advantage of the complimentary wi-fi in our lobby!

We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in the Big Easy!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed here a total of three days last week. The check-in experience was nice until I got to my room. First thing I noticed was cleaning supplies left next to the TV stand with lots of dust on the furniture. but I ignored all of that as I'm a trooper and have seen worse. Next I noticed bread crumbs and toe nail clippings on the dark brown carpet. I could tell that the carpet was hiding a lot more dirt. But I didn't let it bother me until..until I saw a bed bug crawling toward my laptop.

Yes, a bed bug. Very concern, I started looking around I saw a couple more. I trapped one of them by putting a drinking glass over it. Then I called and asked for the manager. The manager arranged for me to go to another room. The next room was a bit better. There were no bed bugs. However there was water dripping from the roof above the shower. Next the shower would not drain quickly and I had to stand in still water each time I took a shower. I reported this and was offered another room but declined as I needed to focus on my purpose for visiting New Orleans rather than quality check these rooms.

During checkout I was asked about my stay. I mentioned the issues. The manger on duty was Courtney. I showed her a video of the bed bugs, room changes, the leaking roof, and the still water in the shower. Her response was that she hadn't heard of such a thing and needed to verify my concerns. At those words I took my leave.

I would not recommend this hotel. I think this is a very old hotel that's breaking at the seams. They try to dress it up but the weaknesses are obvious. Hope this review saves someone the trouble. I friend asked me to post the bed bugs video on youtube but I didn't think that would be fair to all Sheraton properties. I've stayed in the really good ones.

Green Features: If you tell them not to clean your room each day you'll get 500 SPG points.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank bob m
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton New Orleans for about a week during a business conference recently. I'm an SPG Gold (Soon Platinum), and so I have experience staying in their properties throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico. I can tell you that this property was OK, but the rooms were not up to the normal Sheraton Standard. While the hotel itself seemed clean and nice, with a good bar / restaurant downstairs to pass the time in -- the rooms were nothing special. You could tell they were quite old, and hadn't been remodeled in a while. Also, the AC ran all night on the lowest setting, and still didn't get the room cold enough. Even though I was at a room at the end of the hall (Far from the elevators) I was awakened all night by slamming doors, and could hear the maids chatter early in the morning -- indicating very thin walls. The convention facilities seemed very nice, and we had no issues there. The hotel was in close proximity to the Harrah's casino down the street, so I took the opportunity to walk there one night and was impressed that their casino was secure, clean, and as nice as most in Vegas.

If you've never been to New Orleans, you may be a bit shocked as I was at the condition of the neighborhood. I'm not holding this against the hotel at all, but just want folks to be aware that New Orleans / Bourbon Street / Canal Street would not be considered a clean or safe area by most. Vagrants were passed out drunk on the street everywhere, beggars were in abundance, and one night coming back from Bourbon street alone, I found myself getting tailed by a group of rough looking men. I ducked into a shop for about 15 minutes, and watched as they waited by the door for me -- and when they finally lost interest, I bolted across the street back towards the hotel. Be careful, run in packs, and don't party too hard. Be sensitive to wearing expensive jewelry, or showing opulent signs of wealth. Pay attention to the risks, watch your tail and be safe. I didn't see a police officer walking on the street the entire week I was in town, but did see some police cars pulling people over nearby.

Room Tip: You could go for a high floor if you want a view of the Mississippi river, but honestly there isn...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hakrjak
Putnam, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

After reading some reviews I was nervous about our trip to this hotel. However I must say the hotel met or exceeded all of our expectations. Check in was a breeze and despite the fact that it was before noon our room was ready for us. We were on the 21st floor, facing the French Quarter. The location is great, you can easily walk to most of the areas of the French Quarter. We did not have a car and the hotel was convenient to both trolley and bus routes. The staff was very eager to help with directions and assist with taxis, etc. I cannot comment on the food service as we did not eat at the hotel. We were never able to find out much information about the restaurant. It seems like it is open for breakfast but not sure about the rest of the day. If I stayed here again I would ask for a room on the riverside of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above 20 on the River side of the hotel.
Green Features: They offer a $5.00 coupon if you do not have maid service or clean towels each day. While we are environmentally conscious, we look forward to having a made up bed with clean towels each day when we travel on vacation. We did not participate in this program.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia G
Brittany D, Social Media Specialist at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Patricia G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your stay with us. We are thrilled to know that we exceeded your expectations. The views from the 21st floor are amazing. We'll definitely have to get you into the river views on your next stay.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We love the Sheraton brand, this hotel is okay. The lobby area was nice, the room was just okay, not nearly as nice as most Sheratons we've stayed at. Smelled a little musty, cracks along the ceiling, had a short issue with the door locking. View was amazing though.

Stayed August 2014
Hi Christine P,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your Sheraton New Orleans Hotel experience with us. We're glad you enjoyed the lobby and the views of the city and river. We would love to connect with you to gain more insight regarding your other concerns. We can be reached directly at 504-595-6232.

We hope to hear from you soon.
Norfolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel is beautiful. The staff at times looked like they could not wait for us to leave. We were in town for the Essence Music Festival. I am sure some guests were less than refined but when I approach someone working at a hotel I expect them to give me the benefit of the doubt and not judge me according to the person who came before me. Paid for the room in full in advance and still there was a mystery $16 charge on the room when we checked out. When I inquired as to why the girl at the desk said "do you want to speak to the manager?". I said no I want you to explain this to me because you are working the front desk. If you don't know then yes I need to speak to someone who does. Her attitude was so complacent it was worth $16 to be able to turn and walk away from her. Bellmen would not call a cab for us and did not care to explain why. Just rolled his eye's and said "we aren't calling cabs". I would not go there for a big event. It is convenient but the staff clearly hates working big events and they let you know it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear D F,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your Essence Fest experience with us here at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel. We do value you as our guest and welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally regarding your above grievances. We want to make sure that your charges are either explained or corrected. We as a team take pride in and have a deep respect and appreciation for all of our guests, especially those who stay with us faithfully over city wide events such as Essence Festival. We hope that you will call us directly at 504-595-6232 so that we can get these matters resolved for you.

We hope to hear from you soon and hope that you will give us the chance to correct your stay for Essence Fest 2015.
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Obviously when traveling to New Orleans the last thing you want to do is stay in the hotel. However being at the convention center wasn't all that bad. The week long conference I was at went without a hitch. One of the best feature of the Sheraton is the location. My friends and I went to Bourbon St. every night and were able to make it home OK after long nights of drinking... which was surprising. I will admit that the homelessness in the area was a little off setting, but you honestly can't get away from in in New Orleans. Bottom Line: I would stay here again, and probably only here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bryce H,

We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for taking time to share your review. We're so glad you and your friends enjoyed Bourbon St. You all will have to come back and explore the many other hidden gems Nola has to offer. When you do, be sure to keep Sheraton New Orleans Hotel in mind. We look forward to welcoming you again!