“American trip”

Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #77 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were on a coach tour and this was our 6th out of 7 hotels in total on the tour of the Southern states on a Southern Sights and Sounds holiday. This hotel was very good and upmarket for the area is New Orleans does have seedy areas but Canal Street is fine for the most part. The breakfast buffet was good but the most expensive of the whole tour was we tended to avoid it and order something from the inhouse Starbucks on the first morning of our 3 night stay and on the second morning we ate elsewhere too in another area but on the last morning we were given a complimentary breakfast because the lifts failed the previous day and were all day being reconnected but we didn't actually suffer from this as we used the stairs but was very welcome and was a lovely buffet breakfast. Service is very slow in New Orleans in general but was not bad at all in this hotel, and staff extremely friendly on all fronts.
This hotel has 49 floors and we were only on the 18th luckily. The lift problem was huge overall but was solved within 1 day with as little disruption to visitors as possible. The bar area is lovely with an area round the bar with stools for people who don't want service and tipping and also tables with comfy chairs and waitress service, well worth a small tip, as very efficient. Large range of cocktails too. Bit pricy but we got a free one of those on the last night too because of the disruption.

lift problem was huge buit was solved within 1 day

Room Tip: ask for a view of the Mississippi river and the swimming pool as builders working on the other side...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SheilaH702
Daniel A, Front Office Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was here for a conference - my one complaint is that the conference rooms were icy -even with sweaters on we all were freezing - no need to freeze us thank you. Otherwise, the amenities for the conference were quite nice. Exhibitor area was a tad cramped - but there were more than one convention/conference so space was limited.

My room was very nice, though it would have been nicer to have clean windows. The interior was quite clean. They didn't clean my room on Thursday (4 day stay) but I was given 500 Starwood points and was happy with that.

This hotel is on Canal and close to everything I wanted to do. The Riverwalk is only a few blocks away and tons of great shopping and restaurants are in easy walking distance. The Tour desk was very helpful - actually everyone there was very helpful and friendly. I had fabulous service at the bar/restaurant in the lobby - the food I had there was quite good.

One of the main things I noticed is how everyone, I mean everyone thanked me for visiting New Orleans - the hotel staff, restaurant staff, tour staff, bar staff, everyone. This is a city brought to its knees by one of the biggest natural disasters of our time - Katrina - and they are grateful for every tourist who visits to help them recover.

I highly recommend visiting New Orleans and this hotel is well situated for an enjoyable visit.

Room Tip: My room was right by the elevator and a bit noisy, but I still managed to sleep fine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel was ideally located within walking distance of Bourbon Street, the WWII Museum, and Aquarium. We stayed on the 26th floor and the view was breathtaking. We opted for the Green Option (no maid service), and promptly got extra towels and shampoo when requested. The room took awhile to cool and the coffee service lacked cream and sugar which were quickly provided upon request. The second night we did not receive our $5 Green Option voucher. When I called, I was told to come to the front desk. But after some discussion, it was finally brought to my room. There was a small dog that stayed in the room across the hall that occasionally barked. I was surprised a hotel of this quality allowed pets. The rooftop pool was lacking a jacuzzi and the view from the pool was nonexistent. The mandatory valet parking was steeply priced at $42/night but the service was good. Overall the stay was pleasant.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Spent the weekend here with my family . The hotel was fabulous, great staff, loved the location. We are SPG me members & the complimentary breakfast was great ! Will come back again . The suite is awesome with a fridge & eating area, 2 large flat screens. Our kids were in heaven .

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are happy to hear you enjoyed our amenities and the Sheraton Club. We hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

OK. I'll stipulate right from the start that NOLA isn't my favorite city. But I had no built-in reason not to like this hotel, until, you know, I actually stayed there!

Here's the good. Excellent location on Canal. Pleasant staff. Nice room with a great view of downtown.

The bad? Here's the list.

Our room wasn't considered for cleaning until 3:45PM, at which time we were back and ready to relax before dinner. So I grabbed clean towels off the service carts, which had been in the hall with the cleaning staff for FOUR HOURS -- and just gave up on it...

Flowers sent to my wife were signed for someone else and we never got them. What hotel lets someone (whose name isn't on the package) sign for something?

Ice? Not on our floor. Or the one above us. "Under construction" don't you know. But how hard to put a note saying WHERE ice WAS available?

Boarding passes? The "Sheraton Link" area was worthless. Neither of the two computers (two, for a hotel this size?) would boot or run. Had to go to the Front to have boarding passes printed.

Want a drink or lunch in the lobby? Get ready for the classic New Orleans wait time. A simple salad took 45 minutes to get to our table.

So there you have it. All of the "normal stuff" that your average motel would get right was outside of this place's ability to handle.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank overeasy

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are so sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. Please connect with us at 504.250.2500 and ask for a front desk manager. We look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in April and had a lovely time.
The room was terrific; two large beds, large flat screen TV , a ceiling to floor window which looked out to the street and across to the French Quarter, a Starbucks coffee maker, a lovely bathroom and lots of space to move around.
The main foyer of the hotel is huge with a sunken bar, a Starbucks and there always seemed to be such a lot happening. It had an exciting feel to it.
It is just across the street from the French Quarter which makes it's location ideal.
The staff were helpful. On the second day our room was not cleaned but as we had a second bed and it was very late, we decided to see the maid I. The morning. As soon as we explained matters to her, she immediately went to our room to clean it and replenish coffee etc. Our room was immaculate.
One other nuisance was the lift system which caused long delays at busy times.
We had such a lovely stay here despite this and would recommend the hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for three nights pre tour. I read some of the reviews on here and didn't expect much. Firstly, the elevator system is simple to use, contrary to what many of the reviews on here say! You pre select your level and the elevator tells you which car will be yours, as in "a" or "b" and so on. The bedding is the best of any hotel I ever remember staying in throughout the world. It was so good that it was a pleasure to go to bed each night! The position of this hotel is central to many places in New Orleans and it is on the main city street.The fitness centre was probably the best I have ever seen in any hotel, but the hotel pool was tiny by comparison and overrun with small (noisy)children during our time there. Personally, I don't like large hotels and wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again, but it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share about experience. We are so glad you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper and our Sheraton Fitness by Core Performance. We pride ourselves on being able to help our guests be at their best while traveling. We hope to see you soon!
Regards,