“Nice property...but not safe.”

Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #81 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Nice property...but not safe.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed at hotel for an overnight stay for our anniversary in Sept 2013. Checked in to our room on club level, unpacked and left for a bit. Came back later to find that someone had been in our room and took some bags. Called security who came up and did a report. Told us they could look at who had scanned a key card (us, housekeeping, security, maintenance etc.) while we were out to find out who had been in room. Sure enough they called back and said someone from housekeeping went into our room without our or hotels authorization while we were gone...and they were sure that is who took our bags. After a lengthy process we were told they would investigate and get back with us....we are still waiting. Rooms and view are beautiful...but for price not safe, nor is their a refrigerator in room. Club level does serve snacks and continental breakfast IF you can get someone to tell you about it and times. We arrived at 945 am for breakfast and while we were fixing our plates the staff literally started taking the food off the buffet and putting it away before we could finish. I asked what time breakfast was over, and was told there was no set time..they played it by ear. Okay..but you could have at least let us finish fixing our plates. There is no concierge desk...so if you have any problems you have to wait in the check in/out line forever. You are to call to have your car pulled around from valet approx. 15 minutes before you need it...valet never answers their phone. All in all was not worth the price...especially when safety is an issue.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of Mississippi river and of the city of New Orleans.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AnjanetteG
SheratonNOLA, General Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear AnjanetteG
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I believe that at this point our Loss Prevention team has discussed their findings with you. The person who entered was retrieving items left by the previous guest which she was instructed to do. At no time was there a breech of our security protocol and I apologize that the items were left during the cleaning of the room. The experience you had in our Sheraton Club is not our normal standard nor is the inappropriate response you describe. We have worked very hard to enhance the experience for our Sheraton Club guests and I will use your feedback as a training tool for our team. Thank you again for taking the time to connect regarding your stay.
Jim Cook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband & I spent the weekend in New Orleans last weekend We were there 3 days! The Sheraton was perfect! I continued to read all of the reviews for this hotel for the 6 months or so. We were very happy with all aspects of the hotel . Great location. Not so close to Bourbon that it was crazy but so close to everything. We walked everywhere. We did take the trolley twice You can get an all day pass for only $3 per person! Total deal! Our room was on the 41st floor facing the river Beautiful view. The pool is very small but still fun especially at night! Skip the buffet Its not worth the price & you have so many other places to eat. Take the carriage ride but look around as the prices do vary. What a great time we had! The bar downstairs is great as well!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jodean C
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Come on.......... I cannot remember last hotel that did not have a fridge as a standard offer and I am a Starwood gold member. Amazed. Shocked is more like it.

Location is great though.

Starbucks in the morning takes 25 min to get through line

2 Thank Martin S
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. Please accept our apologies for the surprise one-time cost for a refrigerator in your guestroom as well as the delay in getting coffee in the morning from Starbuck's. I completely understand the frustration in being delayed in the morning. Thank you for all your loyalty as a SPG Gold Member and for staying with us. Please feel free to connect with me further if you would like to discuss your experience.

Livingston, Louisiana
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This property charges a whopping $38 for parking per night! (valet only) & an additional $14.95 per day for high-speed Internet! (These prices are disclosed when booking a room...however, do not be fooled into thinking there is other parking abailable within SAFE walking distance at night for a reasonable rate!) Vending machine on my floor does not work ($2.99 for a 20 oz. soda in the gift shop). In addition, the check-in lines are outrageous! 20-30 plus minute wait to chek-in (been here 3 days-same line all 3 days). Only 2-3 people to check guests in on duty with many other unmanned desks available (& the property knows it has at least one convention booked & in full swing!). Carpet in my room hasn't been vacuumed in weeks, used toothpick still on the floor (I'm not picking it up), towels have old stains on them-not at all the level of cleanliness you would expect for the rates and charges you pay at this location. Vallet staff & front desk staff that I have encountered are wonderful through, and it is a great location if you want to be near the French Quarter.

2 Thank neworleanszombie
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the extreme level of dissatisfaction with your experience. I would be more than happy to discuss this experience with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013 and was overcharged $156 on my credit card. I immediately called about this when I got home and was told by the woman I talked to that the charge would definitely fall off my credit card. She sounded pleasant and capable. I checked my statement this morning, almost a month later, and guess what, it certainly has NOT come off! I have now left Chris Moix in the billing office two voicemails about this and he has yet to return my call. This is apparently nothing new for this establishment: See Stephanie V. from San Francisco's review on Yelp and also check this out: https://www.facebook.com/SheratonNOLA/posts/10151107790127929
There are so many hotels and B&Bs in New Orleans, why put up with this baloney?

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank GraceC_02130
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to connect with us regarding your experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the billing discrepancy that has been such a hassle for you. I would be more than happy to assist in resolving this matter for you. Please feel free to contact me.

Atlanta
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Came down to New Orleans to celebrate a friends birthday and enjoy the Falcons-Saints football game. The hotel has two views, one of the river and Harrahs casino, and the other view is of the city and part of Bourbon St. Of course we chose the view of Bourbon St (within walking distance). The lobby showed the game on a huge screen in the bar area. The hotel could have put more help on for the waitress service, but all in all, it didn't bother is much, while watching the game. The short walk back and forth to Bourbon St made it easy to have a few drinks and a little fun and easily walk (stumble) back to the hotel with ease. Great place to stay, have a little fun, and getaway to enjoy some of New Orleans good times.

• Stayed September 2013
We are so thankful for your kind words concerning your experience. Our location is phenomenal for sure! We love being so close to the French Quarter and the Mercedes Super Dome for football season. Great atmosphere! I'm glad you enjoyed it. We would certainly love to see you again in the future for your next visit to NOLA.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I really enjoy this hotel since the remodel is complete. I upgraded to an Executive Suite and the room is large and everything is looking/feeling new. The only problem I had was with the air conditioner in the bedroom (there was also one in the living room). The one in the living room was working perfectly and very cold. However, the one in the bedroom was only blowing air (not cold). I called maintenance and they came up and changed the filter and said it would cool off. However, later that evening the bedroom was still not cool. I called them again and they came up and said that there was nothing they could do. That was disappointing as the temps in the bedroom never got lower than 73ish. I need it COLD to sleep.

I also made the mistake of ordering room service. Yes I did order the braised beef which I knew was a chance but it was AWFUL. I’m sure it was microwaved. It was a charcoal brick that was hot on the outside and cold and completely DRY on the inside. It also had a stale taste as if it was originally made many days prior and just reheated. Ugh..awful. Just go out and enjoy the great food in New Orleans and even if traveling for business – try to avoid room service!
The staff were pleasant and the room was very quiet. It's close to the French Quarter (just across the street) so that was convenient.

Room Tip: The Executive Suites are Large with a separate room/wet bar area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to connect with us. We are very grateful for the kind words in reference to our location and the wonderful associates we have here. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the lack of quality food from our Room Service Department. I completely understand the surprise and frustration of this expectation not being met. Thank you for this information, allowing me the opportunity to address with my team. If you would like to connect with me further, I'll be happy to discuss.