WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Midtown Hotel New Orleans

Midtown Hotel New Orleans
Ranked #150 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Westbank
“not what I expected...and wont be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here when we arrived in town and again after our cruise( I had already paid for the room after the cruise)....seeing as this was my first time to New Orleans I really didnt know anything about the city and places to stay. So I found this place not far from Canal St so we could have access to Bourbon St and the French Quarter.
This place said it was just under new ownership and they were in the midst of renos. There are no phones in the rooms, so I had to use the one at the front desk...have to say that Davie (the young guy at the desk was amazing!)
The safe in the room was locked and they didnt have access to them, so I had to leave anything in the safe at the front desk. It is in a very shady part of town, although we didnt have any problems with anybody we met on the street to the bus stop. There are no restraunt around so you have to leave to get food or order in from the only 2 menus they have....but the calzones were very good.
We had 4 people in our room but only 2 towels, and was given a dirty look when I asked for more. The sink tap handle fell off in my daughter's hand, but they sent up maintenance as soon as I asked for him. Pool was cold and so was the 'hottub'. walkway to the rooms inside the court yard needs new wood as I felt like I was going to fall through.Did not really feel safe
Wifi didnt really work unless you sat in lobby. had to go to lobby to get toilet paper from front desk. yelling outside the door at 2 am.
There is no shuttle service to the airport, you have to go by taxi, which is $14 per person, no restraunt, no bar/lounge either. smoke detector was hanging off the wall.
The return room smelled of pot and had cockroaches...but we stayed so we could sleep before getting on plane at 6am ( as I was by myself with daughters I didnt know where else to get a room that I could afford)

Room Tip: rooms in a different hotel are better....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kimberly J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Less of a hotel...more of a criminal hang out. Wouldn't even stop for directions. Door did not lock properly; felt scared for my life the entire night. Mirror had strange gang/witchcraft writings, which I don't were part of the New Orleans voodoo vibe. Room had no towels and when asked, the front desk said that joe had, "run out to get some." ???? Very dirty, down right disgusting. Better off setting up a sleeping bag in the middle of Bourbon St.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank theragingvulcan

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

these rooms were very poor. the smoke dectors wasn't up. they had a half painted walls. it was not up to good standards. the beds looked old and nasty. if they payed me to stay i wouldn't. it do not look nothing the pictures that they are showing. this place is none refundable so if i was u i wouldn't hold a room their. i wished i had read the reviews before i went their. I whether sleep in my car than to stay their.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank shawn s
MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We we arrived, we found that the room door looked like it jad been kicked in and the lights didnt work. Seen a few other rooms that looked the same. Only found one enterance and exit. Not good if there had been a fire.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Index121
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is in a very seedy part of town with lots of devious characters hanging around.
The first room they put us in, was like a dungeon, I complained they then moved us to an unmade room. We were then moved to yet another room. The hotel has no phone in rooms, no coffee despite the web site saying other wise. no Shuttle, no bar despite what the website says. Our room had no safe despite what it says. We had no ice bucket no hair dryer, we had 2 small towels with holes in them. The bed had bugs as we were bitten. The Wi-Fi did not work for the first 2 days although the duty manager did fix it on the 3 day.

The first night we were woken at about 2.00 am by the neighbours from hell shouting loudly every other word was a swear word this continued until 4.30 despite banging on the wall. I complained about it the incident in the morning and asked for it to be sorted. I also asked for a chain on our door and the dead lock to be fixed only the dead lock was fixed, our bed was made nothing else was done to the room. rubbish was not emptied etc etc.
The second night we were woken again with the same situation as the night before with shouting and screaming at about 2.30 am until 4.00 am. We think that there were 3 men and a woman involved in this disturbance on both nights. I complained in the morning to the duty manager again, asking him sort it out properly today. Which he did.

The third night all was quite until about 3.00am when I was woken by the window being opened, I laid in bed for 10 minutes as someone tried to open our door from the outside they had opened the door, but the deadlock stopped them from entering. The next thing was this arm reaching in the window which had been opened from the outside 10 minutes earlier, trying to open the door. I immediately shouted at the person and the arm vanished and they shut the window prompt. I secured the window and we remained in our room until it was safe to leave when we heard voices outside in the morning. We could not ring the front desk as there are no phones in the room. If I had not woken up, God knows what would have happened to us if the intruder had managed to get into our room.

The next morning we complained and checked out when we weren't getting anywhere with our complaint. we still had 2 nights of our booking left. they refunded one night to us, but that is a joke. We felt we could no longer stay at this hotel, as we did not feel safe after the incident in the night, we are both over 60 and my wife was petrified.

Room Tip: Stay away as all the rooms seem to be bad
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Soulsvillestax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

where do i start?? we were supposed to check in on saturday but decided to pay for a night on friday. I've never been a picky person because i know that not everyone can be pleased, but as soon as we walked in the room it smelled horrible!!!!!! it did look somewhat clean. when i walked into the bathroom, i saw there were cigarette burns on the toilet seat, cockroaches in the shower, and the ceiling had a huge crack and it looked like more of them were going to crawl out. We just couldnt handle the smell so we stayed there that night and decided to cancel the rest of the nights. the next day we went to a store and one of the employees there was telling us that there has been many prostitution scandals there. God knows whats happened on those beds. soo next time i come to new orleans i rather sleep in the car for the night. Dont do it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Warrior1992
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

had to stay here friday night because of the storm . i checked in at 11 am was told to come back at 2 my room would be ready i came back at 330 room wasnt ready still so i went to work .. i went back at midnight and finally got checked in while i was at work i was reading reviews and was like oh wtf its the only room left in the city..... i ended up bringing my gun just so i would feel safe... got into the room there were no lights.. tv didnt work went the take a shower no towels went downstairs and was told they would bring me some up in 5 min. 20 min later i was brought 1 towel 1 wash cloth.. i opened the drawer on the night stand and and there were 2 used condoms and a wet dirty socks and what looked like lube in the drawer.. i just shut the door back knowing no other rooms in the city. went to take a shower it didnt work i had to clean the tub with the only wash cloth that i had. so i was going to take a bath but the stopper didnt work. ended up shoving the wash cloth in the drain...the bed was dank the pillow cases smelled. only good thing about the room was the ac worked really well .the room wasnt worth 80 a night that they jacked up because of a hurricane i wouldnt have paid no more then 20.. the pics look nothing like the rooms d

Room Tip: as a local take my advise and DO NOT stay anywhere on tulane ave
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Federal City Inn & Suites
#98 of 161 in New Orleans
Comfort Suites New Orleans
#110 of 161 in New Orleans
Days Inn New Orleans Pontchartra...
#127 of 161 in New Orleans

Been to Midtown Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!