“Great location with terrible customer service”
Review of Prytania Park

Prytania Park
Ranked #92 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Denver, Colorado
“Great location with terrible customer service”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding with many of our family and friends. The property is in a great location on the famous St Charles line. The rooms were clean and the property was well maintained.
The desk staff and management were unhelpful and confused. Many of our reservations were screwed up. We had to argue in order to secure rates and rooms secured months ago on the phone and online. Several of us were overcharged and the desk staff did not have authority to fix our issues.
Overall this place was a disappointment. We will stay elsewhere in the future.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank browntown
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest, I am sorry you left early as you did, and did not get to enjoy our property like the rest of your family. As explained, you did not have all the facts and history of your families reservations, and once you did, we hoped you understood where the mix ups came from and why they happend. It certainly was not our intentions, but was not our fault either. We can only state, when a family member self appoints themselves as "leader", then some of the responsiblity of that title carries the full weight of problems that arise from ones own actions and must take full responsibilty for those actions.

All your other family enjoyed the hotel to its fullest, and again, we are sorry you left.
Dori H Schulman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This will now be my first choice when I make reservations in New Orleans! the location is very convenient -- just a quick walk to the streetcar and St. Charles. There's free parking, which is pretty much unheard of. The staff was very friendly. The wifi is free. The room was clean. About the only thing that was a negative was the bathroom (toilet and shower) was extremely small. However, there was a big counter around the sink so that helped a lot. We didn't have the breakfast so we're not sure how that was. We will definitely be back. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We had a room that was two levels. It was connected by a spiral staircase. It worked fine for us but...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hillsboro, MO
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a very pretty boutique type hotel in the Garden District. It's just one block from St. Charles, so the streetcar line is very convenient. Our unit had a loft reached by a spiral staircase. My sister and I slept in the lower bed & our daughters slept in the loft. We had a very nice 4-night stay; there were many nice restaurants within easy walking distance, in case we weren't heading to the French Quarter. The Prytania Park staff were very helpful and booked several tours for us. We enjoyed our Mother-Daughter getaway very much!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Loft room for myself and two teenage daughters. Excellent location. Downstairs sofabed took up the whole living area; one could barely squeeze through between it and the dresser. Could be solved just by moving the dresser toward the window, away from the foot of the sofabed. Girls enjoyed the loft. NB: Take the receptionist's word for the best tour in New Orleans -- I don't remember the name of the company, but it was wonderful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Winder, Georgia
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had just a couple of days to run away from home with my college age daughter. We were on a tight budget and this little jewel fit our bill perfectly. The staff was very nice and helpful. The location was perfect, one block off of St. Charles. We came in the middle of the week so I had no problems with noise like others have posted. The breakfast was nice, all in all, it scored high in my book.

I will say that the teeny tiny bathroom caused some giggles. I am not a big person but I dare say it may be hard for someone of size to turn around in there. But, I didn't book based on the size of the potty.

We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank C H
Nashville
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Overall, the hotel was clean, but since it has exterior entrances to the rooms, there's a chance you may see big bugs in your room! We had two rooms and there was a bug on the pillow in both rooms! The hotel staff was not very helpful at first. After some arguing, the manager did step up and help us as much as he could. He moved us to the other side of the hotel, and we didn't have anymore problems with bugs. The location is decent, some nice restaurants nearby. The trolley is nearby, but you may have to transfer several times to get to the French Quarter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank M V
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Guest and Readers, As she and many others agree, our rooms are clean. However, the bugs she is referring to is a common problem for New Orleans in general. You will see them on the sidewalks and streets of the French Quarter, during a walking tour of the Garden District, up on the Lakefront levee, or even, if you were sitting on the Riverwalk watching the Mighty Mississippi roll by. Not saying the City or our hotel is over run by these 1" long creepers, but they are apart of our city. Most guests walk over them and kill them without evening knowing they have done so, while touring our city.

Understand, you do not normally see them if you are staying in a big box hotel, with elevators to the rooms far above the ground. We are not that type of hotel, and when booking a room with us, you have to acknowledge the fact, it does state courtyard, and in the wording of Yard, you have to wonder, could there be outdoor creatures of any sort?

Being a Courtyard style, with unique landscape in our center, most of our guest marvel over it, and how well its maintained. We have natural bamboo towering over 30 ft tall. Bamboo is a water plant, so natually, it attracts bugs that like water, such as the American Cockroach. Unfortunately, they are creepy to see, but harmless. Most Southern states have them, as I said, they are attracted to water, and we are surrounded by water. River, Gulf, and Lake.

We do our best in controling them with Professional spraying, indoor, and outdoor, but that does not cease the issue completely, as it never will, due to the nature of the bug itself, and our style of hotel.

It is always possible one will creep into the room, via door opening and closing, cracks and crevices that all structures have. When a guest finds one and advises us, we will attempt to catch it, kill it, remove it, change bed and bathlinens if nessessary, and we will room move them if they want to move. But again, keep in mind, we are a 2 story courtyard style hotel, with landscape walkways, not a contrete building that towers 500 feet in the air. So from time to time, a local pet may appear, but that does not mean we are a dirty hotel, it means, "Nature-ly New Orleans "
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed October 1, 2013

...but I won't because I also want them to be in business when I come back to New Orleans. This property is one block off of St. Charles Avenue in the Lower Garden District. The French Quarter is readily accessible by street car from here --- there's a stop one-half block down St. Charles --- and is extremely quiet and removed from the hustle of the avenue. There are several bars and restuarants nearby as well. I have stayed here twice, traveling alone on both occasions. I booked their "old world standard" room this time and it was fine for the single traveller. Room was extremely clean. It's not a large room --- it would be cozy for two people --- but is very comfortable and has a microwave and coffeemaker, hardwood floors, and a desk. Outlets are convenient for recharging or running your devices. Air conditioning is central but I was always comfortable --- and I like my air conditioning --- and there is a ceiling fan in the room so don't let the inability to access climate control deter you. I believe that the larger and more expensive rooms have individual climate control.

I was warmly greeted when I arrived by a very pleasant young lady and when I checked out by a younger gentleman. There's one person one the desk occasionally --- very tall lady --- who is civil and polite but variably friendly. Parking is free and there a guard on the premises at night, which is a must in New Orleans.

This is a great place to stay in New Orleans with terrific value. I will definitely book there the next time I am in the city.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the old world standard and queen rooms but both were terrific. They seem to ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
#75 of 162 in New Orleans
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,227 reviews
Central Business District
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!