“Not a "Cookie Cutter" Hotel...”
Review of Prytania Park

Prytania Park
Ranked #108 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a very pretty boutique type hotel in the Garden District. It's just one block from St. Charles, so the streetcar line is very convenient. Our unit had a loft reached by a spiral staircase. My sister and I slept in the lower bed & our daughters slept in the loft. We had a very nice 4-night stay; there were many nice restaurants within easy walking distance, in case we weren't heading to the French Quarter. The Prytania Park staff were very helpful and booked several tours for us. We enjoyed our Mother-Daughter getaway very much!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Loft room for myself and two teenage daughters. Excellent location. Downstairs sofabed took up the whole living area; one could barely squeeze through between it and the dresser. Could be solved just by moving the dresser toward the window, away from the foot of the sofabed. Girls enjoyed the loft. NB: Take the receptionist's word for the best tour in New Orleans -- I don't remember the name of the company, but it was wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had just a couple of days to run away from home with my college age daughter. We were on a tight budget and this little jewel fit our bill perfectly. The staff was very nice and helpful. The location was perfect, one block off of St. Charles. We came in the middle of the week so I had no problems with noise like others have posted. The breakfast was nice, all in all, it scored high in my book.

I will say that the teeny tiny bathroom caused some giggles. I am not a big person but I dare say it may be hard for someone of size to turn around in there. But, I didn't book based on the size of the potty.

We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank C H
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Overall, the hotel was clean, but since it has exterior entrances to the rooms, there's a chance you may see big bugs in your room! We had two rooms and there was a bug on the pillow in both rooms! The hotel staff was not very helpful at first. After some arguing, the manager did step up and help us as much as he could. He moved us to the other side of the hotel, and we didn't have anymore problems with bugs. The location is decent, some nice restaurants nearby. The trolley is nearby, but you may have to transfer several times to get to the French Quarter.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank M V
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Guest and Readers, As she and many others agree, our rooms are clean. However, the bugs she is referring to is a common problem for New Orleans in general. You will see them on the sidewalks and streets of the French Quarter, during a walking tour of the Garden District, up on the Lakefront levee, or even, if you were sitting on the Riverwalk watching the Mighty Mississippi roll by. Not saying the City or our hotel is over run by these 1" long creepers, but they are apart of our city. Most guests walk over them and kill them without evening knowing they have done so, while touring our city.

Understand, you do not normally see them if you are staying in a big box hotel, with elevators to the rooms far above the ground. We are not that type of hotel, and when booking a room with us, you have to acknowledge the fact, it does state courtyard, and in the wording of Yard, you have to wonder, could there be outdoor creatures of any sort?

Being a Courtyard style, with unique landscape in our center, most of our guest marvel over it, and how well its maintained. We have natural bamboo towering over 30 ft tall. Bamboo is a water plant, so natually, it attracts bugs that like water, such as the American Cockroach. Unfortunately, they are creepy to see, but harmless. Most Southern states have them, as I said, they are attracted to water, and we are surrounded by water. River, Gulf, and Lake.

We do our best in controling them with Professional spraying, indoor, and outdoor, but that does not cease the issue completely, as it never will, due to the nature of the bug itself, and our style of hotel.

It is always possible one will creep into the room, via door opening and closing, cracks and crevices that all structures have. When a guest finds one and advises us, we will attempt to catch it, kill it, remove it, change bed and bathlinens if nessessary, and we will room move them if they want to move. But again, keep in mind, we are a 2 story courtyard style hotel, with landscape walkways, not a contrete building that towers 500 feet in the air. So from time to time, a local pet may appear, but that does not mean we are a dirty hotel, it means, "Nature-ly New Orleans "

Reviewed October 1, 2013

...but I won't because I also want them to be in business when I come back to New Orleans. This property is one block off of St. Charles Avenue in the Lower Garden District. The French Quarter is readily accessible by street car from here --- there's a stop one-half block down St. Charles --- and is extremely quiet and removed from the hustle of the avenue. There are several bars and restuarants nearby as well. I have stayed here twice, traveling alone on both occasions. I booked their "old world standard" room this time and it was fine for the single traveller. Room was extremely clean. It's not a large room --- it would be cozy for two people --- but is very comfortable and has a microwave and coffeemaker, hardwood floors, and a desk. Outlets are convenient for recharging or running your devices. Air conditioning is central but I was always comfortable --- and I like my air conditioning --- and there is a ceiling fan in the room so don't let the inability to access climate control deter you. I believe that the larger and more expensive rooms have individual climate control.

I was warmly greeted when I arrived by a very pleasant young lady and when I checked out by a younger gentleman. There's one person one the desk occasionally --- very tall lady --- who is civil and polite but variably friendly. Parking is free and there a guard on the premises at night, which is a must in New Orleans.

This is a great place to stay in New Orleans with terrific value. I will definitely book there the next time I am in the city.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the old world standard and queen rooms but both were terrific. They seem to ha...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JoeVH1951
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed for a week arriving from London. Reception + housekeeping staff were great. Helpful , accommodating, friendly + professional. Solo traveller, stayed on ground floor. No noise problems, safe environment, photos shown on their web site are accurate. Breakfast laid out in courtyard, basic but good enough for me. Fresh coffee, juice, cereal, Danish pastries, bagels, yoghurt. 2 min walk to street car on St. Charles Avenue, 10 min walk to hop on hop of bus, lovely residential area. Don't be put of when you pull in to the car park, once you walk through main hotel entrance it all opens up before you. Coming back to new Orleans in next couple of years + will definitely stay here again + would highly recommend it to anyone I know.

Room Tip: There are no lifts, all rooms set out over couple of levels with steps to get to them. I stayed in s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jane f
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and truly enjoyed our stay! Beds were comfy, rooms were clean! I loved the location and the charm of the hotel! We did not have to use our car the whole time we were there, the trolly was literally around the corner! If I had one small issue it was with the size of the bathroom (toilet/tub area), it was a little snug for people with a few extra pounds! LOL! Also, the loft area lacked extra outlets to plug in laptops, phones etc. Not a deal breaker, would definitely stay here again! For the price of a chain hotel we stayed in a historic location with access to everything!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family