“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Mequon, Wisconsin
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I cannot say enough praise for this hotel! I spent a very long time trying to find a clean and affordable hotel for a last-minute trip to New Orleans for myself and my boyfriend (we are 24 and 25 years old). I finally stumbled upon this one on its own website after hours (literally) of online research. I booked the Charming Old World Standard room, but I was nervous because there were no photos of that particular room online; I booked it based on how beautiful the other rooms' pictures were. It was well within my budget.

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The registration area is very beautiful, staff was courteous and helpful, and check in was a breeze. The courtyard between the rooms has lush plants and benches in shaded areas - we spent some mornings relaxing there before hitting the town. There is a complimentary breakfast with bagels, cereal, and yogurt, which was a great start to the day before eating greasy food later on. The room was extremely clean, sheets and blankets included. The bed was sooo comfortable! It was very quiet, too; and we were on the ground floor. It was only a block away from the street car line on St. Charles. It is in the Garden District, and I felt very safe throughout the trip. Next time I go to New Orleans, this is where I'm staying.

Room Tip: Any room is great! All branch off from the central courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank blackbelt323

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Metropolis, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for four nights before our cruise. The hotel is very close to the St. Charles Streetcar line (which is currently being run as a bus due to repairs). We used public transportation to access all portions of the city we wished to see. This was a huge benefit. Also, you get to park on site for free (a rare find in New Orleans).
They offer a complimentary breakfast which contained coffee, juice, milk, bagles, cream cheese, danish, yogurt, cereal, etc. It was a great start to your day.
You could either eat in the courtyard or breakfast was set up in the lobby if the weather was questionable.
It is a very quiet hotel. We stayed in a contemporary queen. The room offered a luggage rack; however, I didn't really find a convenient place to set it up. We kept our luggage on the counterspace around the sink area and it was fine. Our room had a ceiling fan which was nice.
They only draw back is that there is a transom above the door and it let a lot of light into the room at night from the hallway.
One day there was a lot of water on our bathroom floor when we returned to our room. My husband went to the office and maintenance showed up in less than five minutes. He assessed the source of the problem and cleaned up the issue quickly. I commened them for excellent service and we didn't have any other issues the rest of the stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor (room 128) as there are no elevators. The transom above the door lets...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlcarter1975
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We booked this hotel for a pre-family cruise stay. We had 4 rooms for a total of 18 people. The rooms with the lofts worked out great.

Although our visit wasn't for sight seeing, it's proximity to the trolly and bus lines makes it a pretty good location. Unfortunately, the trolly line was closed for maintenance during our stay.

If you're a runner, running in the 'neutral' area of the trolly tracks was interesting and enjoyable as you get to run past a lot of old mansions (going east toward Tulane).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mount Vernon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed here Dec 8th, & 16 & 17th, didnt want a common, usual, standard hotel, but something special, for our first time in NO. We had 2 different rooms, and were very pleased with everything. The rooms were clean, cool, spacious, no problems.
The breakfast was fine, enuf to fill me and get me started in the morning.
The hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the French Quarter.
There is also a computer in the lobby for internet access and printing our airline boarding passes.
The staff were fine, they recommended two close restaurants, Zea and Mia's Balcony, within a block of the hotel, they were both great for dinner.
Would suggest this hotel, and we would stay here again on our next trip to NO.

Room Tip: There is not elevator, for rooms on the 2 & 3rd floors, but we could carry our luggage up withou...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TonySeattleWA
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Very good hotel, nothing fancy, but very clean and in a nice area, not too far to the FQ and a lot of very nice restaurants, I would definately use this hotel again. The surrounding area is a pleasure to walk around as well.

Room Tip: Loft rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We booked this through hotwire.com and it was a bit of a gamble but it turned out surprisingly well. It is close to the bus stop and a short ride to Canal St. The breakfast was nothing fancy but then I don't eat fancy breakfasts at home. It was yogurt, pastries, juice, cereal, milk and coffee. It served our needs and my wife and I were fine with it.

The staff was helpful about us finding the bus stop and how to get to the French Quarter.

The Wifi was a bit spotty in our downstairs front corner room (farthest from the office) but worked well enough most of the time.

Room Tip: Be wary of mosquitoes that lurk in the dark corners of some of the room entry ways.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

While my friends were paying over $200 a night at a big chain hotel on Canal Street (with which they were unhappy), I stayed heer for $100 (and was quite happy). Room was comfortable, good air-conditioning (though I hardly needed it in November). Walls are a bit thin, but otherwise it is reasonably quiet and clean (always depends on your neighbors - luck of the draw, I guess). Yes, the mattress could have been firmer, but for the three nights I spent there I slept well and had no problems. It's close to the street-car line (which is currently down - 2012). A bus does the route, and is reliable: for $1.25 it will bring you right to Canal Street. Breakfast is pretty standard - nothing to write home about, but it's a buffet (cereal, bagels, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea, pastries) so I'm not complaining. The area around the hotel is not void of interest. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo