“Touring the Southern States”
Review of Hotel Provincial

Hotel Provincial
Ranked #16 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having left from Atlanta, through Nashville, Memphis, and Natchez, we finally arrived at the Provincial Hotel in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The hotel is nicely situated in the heart of everything whilst being far enough away to give some peace and quiet if required. Royal Street and Bourbon Street are literally minutes away. Our room was on the balcony level overlooking the the garden and fountain in the centre. Once again the bed was big and comfortable and the room itself was large enough with a long window that opened onto the street. My wife used the swimming pool which was big enough to actually swim in. The staff were helpful and we arranged a tour of New Orleans from the reception. New Orleans itself......wow, if you thought Nashville had it all, then come here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,776)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Great little gem in the centre of the French Quarter, walking distance to almost everywhere, away from the street noises etc. The 2 pools are a real bonus especially after a day of sightseeing....... Although the rooms show their age a bit, they are adequate, clean, comfortable and well serviced! Some of the "antique" furniture are......well antique and therefore a bit old and rickety but in my eyes that adds to the charm of the hotel. Well appointed bathrooms. Good size TV & free Wi-Fi too.
Most rooms are situated around 2 verandas overlooking the most delightful courtyard garden with a lovely fountain (great place for cocktails) or the swimming pool. That could be a problem if you have noisy, inconsiderate guests speaking loudly early morning or late at night (smoking area....)!!!! They are also slightly on the dark side(our was, as we didn't have an outside window but only French doors, partly glassed, onto the veranda and if you need your privacy the only way is to pull shutters down :-(( ). Breakfast on the other hand was a real disappointment, basic and self service with cold coffee, greasy muffins, but it allowed us to discover Cafe Du Monde (great beignets 24h a day) and Stanley's (Eggs Benedict a must) down the road. Didn't not think much of the reception staff although helpful, polite and efficient but not the most enthusiastic and forthcoming!!!. Sadly we didn't eat at their restaurant Stella either as it seemed a bit empty, formal and quite pricey.... but went to a few with "Nola" (walking distance) standing out as an amazing place to sample Louisiana's best!!!
Plenty of parking if needed although I wished the parking lot was better "hidden" from the pool area and the passage leading up to the other smaller pool better appointed. The management should consider how to improve this as they really need to shield the "not so nice view" on to the parking area.
I also understand they are redecorating/updating their rooms whenever the hotel occupation allows it!
Overall The Provincial is an old charming place to stay, nicely situated, with lots of charm, lovely amenities and reasonably priced!

Room Tip: I would not recommend rooms on the ground floor and if you are to be in your room during the day, no...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights. The location was perfect. Close to Jackson Square, short walking distance to Bourban St and walking distance to Frenchman St. It was not your cookie cutter, square box hotel. It had character and many of the rooms were different sizes and decoration. We stayed on the 4th floor of the 500 building(which is rumored to be haunted-no sightings). The room was small but adequate. It looked like it was recently remodeled. The bathroom was very nice. Housekeeping did a great job. I did notice some noise out our window a couple of mornings but I just put in earplugs. Overall pretty quiet. The beds were comfortable with nice linens. No hot water issues.
The continental breakfast was good and just that, although they did have hardboiled eggs. The danish were fresh and delicious. They also had bagels, toast and cold cereal.
The staff were all nice and helpful with any questions. We enjoyed the hotel and would diffinately return. It was not perfect but it had the flavor of New Orleans.

Room Tip: Many different rooms and styles. Read the reviews to decide what you want or take potluck we did and...
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed here on numerous occasions with mostly satisfactory results. The location can't be beat, and the property is just the right mix of New Orleans funky and modern convenience. But I am sitting in my room right off the courtyard listening to loud conversations three feet from my doorstep. It started just after 7 this morning and has been a constant every moment I have been in my room today. I asked to move but the hotel is sold out and management doesn't see the problem with tables right outside peoples' rooms. I will probably not stay here again, or if I do, I will insist at booking time for a room away from the party spot.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank amymad
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Everything is charming in a older hotel that has been spiffed up. The staff is very helpful in advising where to go and how to get there. We went with nothing booked, and no research on things to do. They can book tours for you. The courtyard is pleasant to read the paper in the mornings with their continental breakfast, which is adequate, nothing more. Good start to the day. The pool isn't heated, at least it wasn't when we were there and was a bit chilli.
I left an article in a cab they called for me, and they called the cab and got the article back to me. Above and beyound the usual service.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We are just back from our four day stay at the Hotel Provincial--the last leg of our honeymoon, after a cruise. We thought the hotel was lovely--a peaceful refuge after a day of walking and sightseeing. We stayed in 111, which is on the first floor, poolside, in the main building. The room was quite large--bigger than you'd expect--with a variety of antique furniture (table and chairs, desk, dresser) and two closets! The bathroom was also large and spacious. Decor was in soothing shades of beige and cream and white--very nice. A simple continental breakfast is served in the Ice House Bar in the morning--hard boiled eggs, bagels/rolls, yogurt, coffee/juice, etc. It was perfect for us, because creole food is rich and complex, and it was nice to start out the day on a lighter note. We came back to the bar for happy hour--Etienne the bartender makes a fabulous Hurricane (almost no relation to the syrupy stuff served down the street) and is a great conversationalist. We loved coming back each afternoon to wind down--the cocktail, a nap, a shower--and then back out for some dinner and music. Frenchman street is just a few blocks away. Front desk staff were continuously helpful and friendly.

A couple of things: I wondered about the noise level, since we were poolside and the double doors to our room were not soundproof. Ninety-nine percent of the time it wasn't an issue--others seemed to find the locale soothing as well, and it was very quiet. Two days, some children swam in the pool late-afternoon (too cold for us!), and so there was some noise then, but only briefly.

I did notice some variation in the water temperature. Not sure what that was about, but it was annoying. It seemed better if I was the second shower rather than the first?

Toiletries: It's not that they aren't good quality (Gilchrist and Soames, which I like), but rather that they've chosen to provide a limited selection.

No ghosts for us (husband was hoping...)

Overall, we would come back in a heartbeat, and probably will. Despite my attempts to describe it, there's something intangible about this hotel that made it a truly lovely stay.

1  Thank beglisc
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Located in a quiet part of the quarter, this family-friendly hotel was perfect for my three- generation party. Our room was a little dark, but located right off a courtyard, it was serviceable. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was the only downside. I've had much better at the average chain hotel. It felt a little pricey, but overall it was clean, charming, and satisfying. I'd stay there again, for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family