“Nice old hotel with character, great location but poor reception service”
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans
Ranked #16 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Nice old hotel with character, great location but poor reception service”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

The main reason for the average review for this hotel is because of the poor service we received in reception. This by no means reflects on the excellent service we received from the concierge and the bell boys.

Stayed here over the new year so it was quite expensive. When we arrived we were shown to a room where the door was already open and it smelt like someone had just been smoking in it and the bed looked like it had been rolled on. Back to reception where we complained and were told because we booked through a 3rd party basically we were almost 2nd class and don't expect much. Not in those words but that is how the receptionist made us feel. Shown to a new room on the top floor which was just okay considering the cost per night. The bathroom looked clean but it needed a really good deep clean as there was mold growing on the tiles. We could hear everything going on in the next room which was rather annoying. We know there better rooms as the rest of our family were staying on the floor 4th which was better.

We had a great time in new Orleans but if we were to stay at this hotel again we would phone ahead to make sure we had a non smoking room on one of the lower floors.

• Stayed December 2010
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

OmniRoyalO, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your recent visit to New Orleans. Thank you for your feedback which we have reviewed with our Management Team. If you have time, we would love to hear a few more details so that we can determine who assisted you at the Front Desk and which rooms were not up to our standards of cleanliness. Please call the Executive Office at 504-529-7001 if you have a moment, we would really appreciate it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2011

My husband and I honeymooned in New Orleans 28 years ago, we have returned serveral times staying at different hotels - this was our first visit to Omni Royal and will definitely return. The location is perfect, we walked everywhere. We dined in the Rib Room to a 5 star meal and all services throughout the hotel were outstanding. Our room was spacious and romantic....couldn't have asked for more!

1 Thank sunshine142
Gold Coast Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have just left New Orleans after a wonderful 10 night stay. I was there over New Years and the Sugar Bowl and the city was really, really busy. Good to see so many visitors in town.
I last stayed in the Omni in August 2006, just after Katrina. Way more guests this time , but the Southern charm, attention and hospitality was in no way diminished. The hotel is so very elegant but do not expect a brand new appearance. If you live in a McMansion then this is unlikely to be the right hotel for you.
The Omni has gorgeous marble and highly polished brass. It feels like you have stepped back in time, how refreshing. The staff are courteous and professional from Marty, the amazing doorman right through to the managers.
This is one hotel where you SHOULD order room service - the meals are huge, good value and absolutely delicious. Their gumbo, shrimp remoulade, oyster po-boy, chicken wings are all scrumptious and arrived very hot, in a timely manner.
The only drawback in my entire visit was my room. I had reserved a Petite Suite for this visit as a friend was joining me and I needed a sofa bed. On checking in to my room,
(245) I was upset to see that for $300 per night, my view was a roof top covered with
astro turf and mechanical gear, pipes etc. It soon became apparent that being located next door to the mechanical room was not good. My whole room vibrated and buzzed,
and the roar of the a/c-heating made you feel like you were onboard a plane and sitting
right over the engine.
I contacted Antonia Knouse, the Loyalty Ambassador, but to date she has never responded. That was very disappointing. The hotel was very full and although I was shown another room the next day, it was tiny. I chose to stay where I was and used earplugs. There was no noise from other guests, which is unusual in New Orleans.
Other reviewers have complained about dirty carpets, old/broken fittings etc. I found the hotel to be very clean in all areas I visited. She is showing her age - but I still love staying here, you cannot beat the location. I love this hotel, it exudes warmth, character and class. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nawlins66
OmniRoyalO, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
We are so pleased that you selected our hotel for a return visit! Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our lobby area, customer service and room service cuisine. We are sorry that your room did not have an ideal view and that our Loyalty Ambassador did not reply to your email immediately as she was out of office for the weekend. Please let us know if you have any additional comments, we hope to welcome you back again soon!
California
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We went to New Orleans for New Years Eve and had a great time. The hotel is only about 1 block fom Bourbon Street but noise wasn't a problem. And Bourbon Street is quite noisy.

No complaints about the staff except that 2 of the housekeepers had a rather loud arguement in the hallway outside our room. The concierge was great and arranged dinner reservations immediately after we asked for them via e-mail. We weren't there on business but something came up that needed to be taken care of with the bank at home and the woman at the business center was quite helpful. Another nice feature was that they brought ice to the room and changed the towels in the afternoon. The staff in general was friendly.

The room was adequate. We were on the 7th floor, which is really the attic. So we had small dormer windows that didn't let in much light. But on the plus side, there was a window in the bathroom and I think we had one of the few rooms that actually had a view of the Mississippi River. Avoid the rooms that don't face the street. They faced a rather dark courtyard area.

They have a nice rooftop deck with a pool and fitness center. We watched the fireworks there on New Years, great view.

The Omni has a rewards program that is free to join. It was a good deal because you get free wifi in the room and your choice of coffee, tea, etc. delivered to your room in the morning at whatever time you choose. Maybe the ice delivery and extra towel service was part of that too, I'm not sure.

If you fly in, taxis charge a flat rate of $33.00 to and from the airport. I heard that the airport shuttle cost $40.00 per person oneway so a taxi is the better deal.

On the whole, a nice place to stay. I would go back for my next trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniRoyalO, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Omni Royal Orleans hotel for your recent visit to New Orleans! We certainly pride ourselves in our location, being situated directly in the heart of the French Quarter. It sounds like you were able to enjoy all of the complimentary perks of our Select Guest program, and as a member just a few more nights with any Omni will earn you a free night's stay!

The airport shuttle service is $38 round trip or $20 one way per person. So if you're travelling with 2 or more people to the French Quarter, a cab is actually cheaper.

Thank you again, we hope to see you soon on your next visit to the Big Easy! Happy New Year!
Reviewed January 4, 2011

If you are debating where to stay in New Orleans, look no further than the Omni Royal Orleans. I have stayed here for both business and leisure and loved every minute. The hotel itself is stunning and captures the essence of old New Orleans. The rooftop pool has some great views of the Crescent City. The location simply cannot be beat -- you are right in the heart of all the fun in the French Quarter and an easy ride away from the other great neighborhoods of New Orleans. I have stayed in a Queen and a King Balcony and while the Queen was small it was still very sufficient and had everything we needed. The King Balcony... I think the name sums it up. Stay in a balcony room in the Quarter and you will not regret it! These folks truly know great service and want to treat each and every guest like royalty.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie K
Philadelphia,PA
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My partner and I traveled to one of our favorite cities, New Orleans, for the holidays! The stately and elegant Omni Royal Orleans proved to be an excellent choice. As i'd pre-registered, check in took about 30 seconds and I was off to my well appointed exterior king room on the fifth floor with a great view of the rooftops of the French Quarter. I loved walking out of the hotel and being surrounded by the galleries and antique shops of Royal Street. The service from the employees was both friendly and attentive. The breakfast buffet in the Rib Room was excellent, with a huge variety of selections from meats and chesses to omlets. The little touches make this hotel special. Soft, high quality linens with a choice of pillows, coffee with real cream, Aqua Panni water in glass bottles, etc. Took a look at the pool and deck area for future visits and the area was beautiful with incredible views. Requests for a 3AM wake up call with coffee were cheerfully accomodated, with the operator calling again at 315 to make sure we were up so we wouldn't miss our early flight. Antonia, the hotel's Loyalty Ambassador, could not have been kinder. We can't wait to go back. The hotel is very gay friendly. Treat yourself and stay here! I spend about ninety nights a year in hotels and was really impressed.

1 Thank Paul F
birmingham
Reviewed December 27, 2010

The lobby is impressively oppulent. Unfortunately, that's where the luxury ends. The rooms are small and cramped and dated (but not in a good way). The carpet, bedspread and furniture were stained and worn. The wall mounted hairdryer didn't work. There was mold growing between the tiles in the shower. All in all, it was a big disappointment, in spite of it's great location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniRoyalO, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, January 1, 2011
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to New Orleans! Our hotel is preparing for a complete renovation of our rooms which will address most of the issues that you mentioned in your review. We're sorry to hear that didn't completely enjoy your visit and would love to speak with you further if you have time, please call our Executive Office. We hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans and are confident that we can regain your confidence! Happy Holidays!